Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

retrofit always on cig lighter?

Old 02-18-2018, 08:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
c43 amg
retrofit always on cig lighter?

Hi guys
Want to know if anyone can point out any holes in this theory. I have an idea to make my cig lighter always on without splicing/cutting or any such stuff - true plug and play!

Using two fuse taps (see pix), A is where 15A switched cig lighter fuse used to be. I connected the wire from the second fuse tap B to the draw side of fuse tap A via a spade connector. I put 15A fuse into fuse tap B wich connects to load on an unused slot that is always on. Bingo!

Any thots why this would not be a good work a round to say directly wiring from battery, always on fuse etc?
Old 02-18-2018, 11:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 131 Likes on 115 Posts
c-fo-fiddy
Sorry, I don't have any "thots" on this as I've never been good with the electronics side of things. I'm just here to ask, why?

At first I was thinking that you were trying to have your cig lighter always glowing red hot and ready to light your cig, but now that I've started typing and thought a bit more about it, I'm assuming that by "always on" you're referring to the safety mandate here in the US where these ports have to shut off power once the ignition is off, right? That way you can have your phone or whatever plugged in and charging while the car is off? That would be nice I must say. And be a lot more logical guess on my part lol
Old 02-18-2018, 11:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
c43 amg
Yea - thats why! ;-)