Sponsored by:

Carsponsor.com Legit?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-02-2018, 04:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C43 AMG Coupe
Carsponsor.com Legit?

Hey guys, I saw an ad for carsponsor, and supposedly they want to help you be put in touch with - obviously - sponsors. Just for fun I filled out an application and got approved, they want to send me a free InstantHP OBD2 chip in exchange for a review of the product.
My question is, had anyone used a service like this before? Is it legit?
Also, is InstantHP’s chip just garbage?
Old 03-02-2018, 04:31 PM

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
C43
Not sure if it's legit but if it sounds too good to be true....
Old 03-02-2018, 04:39 PM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
2016 C63s
Originally Posted by jake732
Hey guys, I saw an ad for carsponsor, and supposedly they want to help you be put in touch with - obviously - sponsors. Just for fun I filled out an application and got approved, they want to send me a free InstantHP OBD2 chip in exchange for a review of the product.
My question is, had anyone used a service like this before? Is it legit?
Also, is InstantHP’s chip just garbage?
Never used it and probably wouldn't. you might want to ask yourself, if you install this instantHP chip and something breaks or blows up, who's responsible and who's paying that bill
Old 03-02-2018, 04:40 PM

Received 384 Likes on 246 Posts
While carsponsor.com may be legit, their IP address (69.172.201.153) has been used to host many "bad guy" sites. The following reports will give you some idea of the level of activity associated with this IP address:
https://dnslytics.com/ip/69.172.201.153
https://www.threatminer.org/host.php?q=69.172.201.153

I'd say "I'd stay away from them" ... but that's a given as that IP has long since been blocked by our router so they can neither get to us nor can we get to them.
Old 03-02-2018, 05:18 PM

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts
C43 AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by user33
While carsponsor.com may be legit, their IP address (69.172.201.153) has been used to host many "bad guy" sites. The following reports will give you some idea of the level of activity associated with this IP address:
https://dnslytics.com/ip/69.172.201.153
https://www.threatminer.org/host.php?q=69.172.201.153

I'd say "I'd stay away from them" ... but that's a given as that IP has long since been blocked by our router so they can neither get to us nor can we get to them.
It's very common for many websites to share an IP address if they are using managed web hosting or a VPS. It doesn't mean the websites are actually linked to each other in any way though.
Old 03-03-2018, 03:26 AM

Received 384 Likes on 246 Posts
Originally Posted by ShakyTom
It's very common for many websites to share an IP address if they are using managed web hosting or a VPS. It doesn't mean the websites are actually linked to each other in any way though.
I'd say that nearly all legitimate businesses (i.e., those ongoing public exposure for business), have their own unique/static IP address (or address range) and don't rely upon URL multiplexing/subdomain schemes.

Regardless, you'll notice that the intelligence included via both of those links identify that some of the sites associated with that IP are malicious. Sites I manage have been attacked via sites using that IP (which is why it is blocked) and various articles on bad-guy activity have ID'd this IP (e.g., for tech-support scammer activities).

In my experience, hosting services that support a fair amount of bad-guy sites seem to have that as their business model and, over time, attract many other bad-guy sites. Then there are those "service providers" that are likely owned by (or specifically marketed to) bad-guys, given that the only traffic we ever see from their IP ranges is attack traffic.