Sponsored by:

New C43 - oil pan leak

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-15-2018, 01:55 PM

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
TBD
New C43 - oil pan leak

Purchased a new 2018 C43 about a week and a half ago. Noticed oil leaking under the car a few days later. Dealer tells me it's an issue with the oil pan, which wasn't sealed properly at the factory. It will be ready in a few days after the re-seal cures.

Is this something I should be worried about if I plan to own the car for a while? Or is this a pretty routine repair? I don't want the thing to start leaking again after a few years because the re-seal isn't as good as what they should have done properly at the factory.

Thanks for your thoughts on this.
Old 05-15-2018, 02:20 PM

TBD
Minimal oil loss from what I understand. I noticed a few drops on my garage floor every night. When I brought it in they first checked all the fluid levels before putting the car on the lift and apparently everything was normal.
Old 05-15-2018, 03:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 676 Likes on 533 Posts
c
Originally Posted by sieglo
Purchased a new 2018 C43 about a week and a half ago. Noticed oil leaking under the car a few days later. Dealer tells me it's an issue with the oil pan, which wasn't sealed properly at the factory. It will be ready in a few days after the re-seal cures.

Is this something I should be worried about if I plan to own the car for a while? Or is this a pretty routine repair? I don't want the thing to start leaking again after a few years because the re-seal isn't as good as what they should have done properly at the factory.

Thanks for your thoughts on this.
a leaking oil pan is about as non-critical as anything. Wouldn't sweat about it.
Old 05-18-2018, 08:35 PM

TBD
Well, I found out today that finally just this morning they were able to identify the source of the leak. They've ordered some kind of "special sealant from Germany" to solve the problem. Am I wrong to be concerned here? In my experience trying to seal up an existing oil leak with some kind of epoxy is a short term solution at best. I don't want to be stuck with a perpetually leaky car. At the same time I don't want to be unreasonable.
Old 05-18-2018, 09:37 PM

Received 173 Likes on 110 Posts
C450, GLS 63 and a few other things
Originally Posted by sieglo
Well, I found out today that finally just this morning they were able to identify the source of the leak. They've ordered some kind of "special sealant from Germany" to solve the problem. Am I wrong to be concerned here? In my experience trying to seal up an existing oil leak with some kind of epoxy is a short term solution at best. I don't want to be stuck with a perpetually leaky car. At the same time I don't want to be unreasonable.
Ask them what they are doing to it. While I'll agree that an external repair is not the "proper" approach, it's not clear to me that is what they are doing. They need the Mercedes sealant if they pull the Oil Pan and re-do the seal completely, which is the right way. Either way since your car is new, you've got the 4 year 50k warranty, if whatever they do doesn't work, you'll know long before you have to pay for it, although another trip to the dealer isn't pleasant, it's not a major deal.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Old 05-16-2020, 10:45 PM

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
1996 Mercedes C36 AMG
Awesome update, you did a bunch of work! Hope it gives you many many solid miles.

Those 3 grey clips holding the MAF cable to the front of the air intake crossover pipe- any chance you have a source for those?