C450/C43 AMG
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

American who bought a C43 from Canada..... AM I SCREWED?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-03-2018, 11:39 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
2017 C43 Sedan
American who bought a C43 from Canada..... AM I SCREWED?

So I traded in my '13 C250 Coupe Sport + and took a leap of faith and snagged a '17 C43 with 13K miles. I knew by the carfax that it came from Ontario but since I rushed into purchasing the vehicle (I had shopped for weeks but no ones was giving what I wanted for my trade in) I didnt realize the issues that would arise. So I am here looking for some help...

1) Warranty... called MBUSA, rep told me I had until Jan of 2021. Everything was fine until she tried to set me up for Mbrace and realized it was Canadian. She told me she wasn't sure how that I should speak with MBCanada and my local dealer to find out.. Called Canada and they said that I basically am out of luck.. they dont honor US imported vehicles and also have a bulletin stating that after 2017, any imported Canadian car to U.S was void however he was not sure about MBUSA and if they follow the same protocol. I then called MBUSA again and another rep recommended me to register myself as the owner on the warranty side of things with the "business financial office" of my closest MB dealership.

I went to MB in Coral Gables (South Florida) and spoke with a service advisor (see bullet 2) about trying to change the outside temp from celsius to Fahrenheit.. I specifically told him it was from Canada and that I bought it pre owned yesterday.. he tried messing around in the cluster (as did I) with no luck and told me it could not be done.. (IS THIS TRUE?). I then asked him about warranty and he told me I am "way good" until 2021.

I decided to then go to MB of Cutler Bay (same owner) and spoke with another service advisor ( I did not mention it was imported this time.. played dumb) and he too let me know I was good until 2021. I then decided to make my way to the business financial office and spoke with a finance manager to get this "registration" done. He also let me know that it was good until 2021 and even printed out the sheet for me showing it was good until 2021 ( I also did not tell him about Canada). I repeatedly asked him if I would have any issues with warranty and he told me no.

Does anyone have experience with warranty on an imported car??

2) Does anyone know of any way to change the temp on the center screen and also engine temp to Fahrenheit? This has also affected my AMG menu.. this car has a tone of features like PE, 3D camera, command, etc and honestly wont kill myself if I cant, but it would be nice to know.

3) CANADIANS DONT HAVE THE CHECKERED FLAG INSTRUMENT CLUSTER??? LAME.... Can this be easily swapped with an AMG cluster? Any retrofits out there? I have spent hours searching... Maybe this will fix the celsius issue if so?

4) MercedesME .... Mbrace.. anyone get these working on Canadian models? Not a big deal as I hear it is ****.

5) SAT radio says "device unavailable".. service advisor said my car did not come with it?? Doesn't seem correct

Thanks for reading my intensive thread... hope someone can help

Last edited by W204Chris; 07-04-2018 at 12:59 AM.
Old 07-04-2018, 01:00 AM

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts
435i xDrive, C43 4Matic Coupe
Originally Posted by W204Chris
So I traded in my '13 C250 Coupe Sport + and took a leap of faith and snagged a '17 C43 with 13K miles. I knew by the carfax that it came from Ontario but since I rushed into purchasing the vehicle (I had shopped for weeks but no ones was giving what I wanted for my trade in) I didnt realize the issues that would arise. So I am here looking for some help...

1) Warranty... called MBUSA, rep told me I had until Jan of 2021. Everything was fine until she was trying to set me up for Mbrace and realized it was Canadian. She told me she wasn't sure how that I should speak with MBCanada and my local dealer to find out.. Called Canada and they said that I basically am out of luck.. they dont honor US imported and also have a bulletin stating that after 2017, any imported Canadian car to U.S was void however he was not sure about MBUSA and if they follow the same protocol. I then called MBUSA again and another rep recommended me to register myself as the owner on the warranty side of things with the "business financial office" of my closest MB dealership.

I went to MB in Coral Gables (South Florida) and spoke with a service advisor (see bullet 2) about trying to change the outside temp from celsius to Fahrenheit.. I specifically told him it was from Canada and that I bought it pre owned yesterday.. he tried messing around in the cluster (as did I) with no luck and told me it could not be done.. (IS THIS TRUE?). I then asked him about warranty and he told me I am "way good" until 2021.

I decided to then go to MB of Cutler Bay (same owner) and spoke with another service advisor ( I did not mention it was imported this time.. played dumb) and he too let me know I was good until 2021. I then decided to make my way to the business financial office and spoke with a finance manager to get this "registration" done. He also let me know that it was good until 2021 and even printed out the sheet for me showing it was good until 2021 ( I also did not tell him about Canada). I repeatedly asked him if I would have any issues with warranty and he told me no.

2) Does anyone know of any way to change the temp on the center screen and also engine temp to Fahrenheit? This has also affected my AMG menu.. this car has a tone of features like PE, 3D camera, command, etc and honestly wont kill myself if I cant, but it would be nice to know.

3) CANADIANS DONT HAVE THE CHECKERED FLAG INSTRUMENT CLUSTER??? LAME.... Can this be easily swapped with an AMG cluster? Any retrofits out there? I have spent hours searching... Maybe this will fix the celsius issue if so?

4) MercedesME .... Mbrace.. anyone get these working on Canadian models? Not a big deal as I hear it is ****.

5) SAT radio says "device unavailable".. service advisor said my car did not come with it?? Doesn't seem correct

1) No idea, curious to see what becomes of this so keep us posted.

2) Never tried changing to Fahrenheit, although it might be possible given that you can change from things like KMPH to MPH.

3) Canadian C43s do come with the checkered flag in the cluster. Every 17 coupe I've seen has it. As an aside, for the most part, Canadian dealers order well equipped if not loaded cars as a result of streamlined packages. We have less customization available unfortunately...but our Base models are traditionally higher spec than US base models.

4) I've heard of people trying to dabble in to getting MBrace to work on 17 Canadian models. I haven't heard of anyone successfully doing it though.

5) I think the SAT Radio antenna was standard on all 17 Canadian models. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. The free service expires in Canada about a year after purchasing the car. If you haven't re-enabled / re-subscribed to it, that might be the issue?

Good luck with hunting down some answers buddy! Either way, you're going to really enjoy the ride.

Million dollar question...did you get the AMG Performance Package?
Old 07-04-2018, 03:30 PM

Received 85 Likes on 73 Posts
2017 C43 AMG Cabriolet Black/Cranberry Red
Originally Posted by W204Chris

1) Warranty... called MBUSA, rep told me I had until Jan of 2021. Everything was fine until she tried to set me up for Mbrace and realized it was Canadian. She told me she wasn't sure how that I should speak with MBCanada and my local dealer to find out.. Called Canada and they said that I basically am out of luck.. they dont honor US imported vehicles and also have a bulletin stating that after 2017, any imported Canadian car to U.S was void however he was not sure about MBUSA and if they follow the same protocol. I then called MBUSA again and another rep recommended me to register myself as the owner on the warranty side of things with the "business financial office" of my closest MB dealership.

Canadian made C43's do have the checkered flag cluster. I know because there's about 30 of us in a local group in Toronto and we all have it. You can service Canadian cars under warranty in US.
Old 07-04-2018, 04:00 PM

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts
2018 C43 Cabriolet
As has been said before ,all Canadian C43's come with chequered flag cluster , including mine . I would be concerned with which model you actually have ?
Old 07-05-2018, 09:45 AM

2017 C43 Sedan
Originally Posted by 5ilver-5urfer
1) No idea, curious to see what becomes of this so keep us posted.

2) Never tried changing to Fahrenheit, although it might be possible given that you can change from things like KMPH to MPH.

3) Canadian C43s do come with the checkered flag in the cluster. Every 17 coupe I've seen has it. As an aside, for the most part, Canadian dealers order well equipped if not loaded cars as a result of streamlined packages. We have less customization available unfortunately...but our Base models are traditionally higher spec than US base models.

4) I've heard of people trying to dabble in to getting MBrace to work on 17 Canadian models. I haven't heard of anyone successfully doing it though.

5) I think the SAT Radio antenna was standard on all 17 Canadian models. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. The free service expires in Canada about a year after purchasing the car. If you haven't re-enabled / re-subscribed to it, that might be the issue?

Good luck with hunting down some answers buddy! Either way, you're going to really enjoy the ride.

Million dollar question...did you get the AMG Performance Package?
Thank you for all the info! I wonder why my SAT is not working. Service advisor brushed me off on the 3rd... guess he wanted to leave early for the 4th .

What does the AMG Performance Package include? haha
Old 07-05-2018, 09:46 AM

2017 C43 Sedan
Originally Posted by threefirs
Canadian made C43's do have the checkered flag cluster. I know because there's about 30 of us in a local group in Toronto and we all have it. You can service Canadian cars under warranty in US.
For some reason I dont have the checkered cluster?? How do you know about being able to service Canadian cars under warranty in the U.S?
Old 07-05-2018, 09:47 AM

2017 C43 Sedan
Originally Posted by splunge
As has been said before ,all Canadian C43's come with chequered flag cluster , including mine . I would be concerned with which model you actually have ?
Nope, dont have it for some reason and I definitely have a 9 speed twin turbo 6 haha