Sponsored by:

Dealership Cannot Duplicate

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 06:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C43 AMG Convertible
Dealership Cannot Duplicate

I have a 2017 AMG C43 convertible. Upon hard acceleration from time-to-time the car sputters out, and starts visibly rocking back-n-forth. Almost like if it were a clutch and you let it out too quick.
the dealership took it in and completed some recall work, but ultimately could not duplicate the issues. At first my husband said it was my driving... hahaha... then it happened to him as well!
Just wondering if anyone else has had this experience or something similar.
Old 09-19-2018, 06:36 PM

C43 AMG Convertible
Those sound more like nautical terms.... the car jerks front to back like it's choking. If you've ever driven a manual transmission you have inevitably let the clutch our too soon and the car essentially sputters. Well my car is not a manual transmission. This happens when you take off and accelerate hard, or accelerate and then slow and try to accelerate again.
Old 09-19-2018, 06:58 PM

C43 AMG Convertible
Originally Posted by CFG
In aviation, there are three control axes: yaw, pitch and roll. It’s the same with any object moving through space. It sounds as though you have the bucking issue common with these cars IF it starts at a low speed in a low gear.

DO NOT deal with a service advisor. Insist that your service manager call, yes call, AMG in Chumany. They know what it is, and how to fix it.

Go to a dealer that understands this-keep calling until you find one.

Or, demand your dealer send out a TIPS inquiry. That’ll make them look like fools to the Krauts, and they know it, so maybe they’ll make the call to der chief mechaniker.
I left a message for the service manager and promised to call every half hour until he returned my call! Thanks for the advice.
Bucking is the exact correct term! It feels like you're on a mechanical bull.

I am a very tenacious, very determined woman... I have owned 4 Benz total from same dealership. They know I won't "go away".
Old 09-19-2018, 07:16 PM

C43 AMG Convertible
How do you know so much about this?

I had this happen with my 2006 C230. I kept feeling like I was getting rear ended but nothing was actually there. They then did a software update/remap and the care was never the same.

Is this true of all C43's or just my particular car?
Old 09-20-2018, 01:50 AM

C43 AMG
It sounds like the problem that many have reported with the C43. There are numerous threads on this topic. I had the Transmission control unit updated via AMG as CFG has described. There is some talk that it changes sound with the PE but I found the transmission improved in sport plus and sport modes. Far better experience.
Old 09-20-2018, 06:33 AM

C43 AMG
I can make it happen in my c43 amg coupe. If I'm in sport plus and from a stop give it gas, back off and give it a little gas it will buck. If it was a manual transmission - it would be like letting the clutch our too quickly.
Old 09-20-2018, 07:54 AM

C43 AMG Convertible
Originally Posted by CFG
The cure reduces performance slightly.
After a lengthy, somewhat unpleasant conversation with the service manager it was determined that was a miscommunication in what was conveyed to me and what they did.
There were 3 recalls on my car, one of which was the transmission issue which requires a new software mapping of transmission..., as mentioned by CFG.
Drove car home last night... HARD!!! For the record, I drive in individual mode- sport+ suspension & sport engine mode.
Findings, so far:
1. Car is faster off the line- more torque in 1st gear 👍🏻
2. Noticeable difference now between E, C, S, S+ modes 💪🏼
3. Seems to lag in shifting at around 4500 rpm, 60 ish mph 🤷🏼*♀️
4. Noticeable exhaust sound difference on idoll and lower speeds, but roars at acceleration as it should.

Overall found the car more “playful”! Will need to adjust my driving a bit to teach and learn new gear shifts and that extra torque. Will continue to drive like stolen to see if bucking continues.
Old 09-20-2018, 08:01 AM

C43 AMG Convertible
Originally Posted by Bigwaves
I can make it happen in my c43 amg coupe. If I'm in sport plus and from a stop give it gas, back off and give it a little gas it will buck. If it was a manual transmission - it would be like letting the clutch our too quickly.
Yes. Mine started out as very infrequent, but escalated to a bucking incident while merging on freeway... no on/off of pedal either! So be careful.

As suggested in this thread there is a recall/service bulletin on this issue.
Mercedes: “Only the Best” 💆🏼*♀️

Good luck 🍀
Old 09-20-2018, 08:26 AM

C43 AMG Convertible
Originally Posted by badjessy831

After a lengthy, somewhat unpleasant conversation with the service manager it was determined that was a miscommunication in what was conveyed to me and what they did.
There were 3 recalls on my car, one of which was the transmission issue which requires a new software mapping of transmission..., as mentioned by CFG.
Drove car home last night... HARD!!! For the record, I drive in individual mode- sport+ suspension & sport engine mode.
Findings, so far:
1. Car is faster off the line- more torque in 1st gear 👍🏻
2. Noticeable difference now between E, C, S, S+ modes 💪🏼
3. Seems to lag in shifting at around 4500 rpm, 60 ish mph 🤷🏼*♀️
4. Noticeable exhaust sound difference on idoll and lower speeds, but roars at acceleration as it should.

Overall found the car more “playful”! Will need to adjust my driving a bit to teach and learn new gear shifts and that extra torque. Will continue to drive like stolen to see if bucking continues.

Originally Posted by CFG
Join the private lounge and demand that the Head Kraut in Charge call you. Your service manager is a crap for brains. It can be fixed.

Addendum: crap for brains is an incurable physical condition, from birth.
Well aware of “crap for brains” at dealerships! 💩
kindly send link to private chief Kruat forum... only problem... I do not sprechen Deutsch!
Old 09-20-2018, 09:45 AM

Received 101 Likes on 84 Posts
2018 Mercedes C43 AMG Coupe
This issue is the same issue that everyone who got the car has been getting. Just google or search on this forum, "Transmission jerking" or something along those lines and you will find at least 10 threads on the same problem.

Ask your dealership to update your transmission control unit software to the latest version and it should be fine.

In fact, if you drive your car longer, the car will learn your behaviours and the bucking happens less frequently. Training your foot and adjusting your seat position from keeping your body from oscillating will help with the sensitive pedal in Sport+ mode.

I had the update and it basically never happens in any mode except for Sport+ now under rare occasions. Even then I believe it is driver error. Of course it would be best to have my TCU custom tuned by the shop but it really isn't necessary.

Good luck!
Old 09-20-2018, 11:12 AM

C43 AMG Convertible

Originally Posted by jonathan358
This issue is the same issue that everyone who got the car has been getting. Just google or search on this forum, "Transmission jerking" or something along those lines and you will find at least 10 threads on the same problem.

Ask your dealership to update your transmission control unit software to the latest version and it should be fine.

In fact, if you drive your car longer, the car will learn your behaviours and the bucking happens less frequently. Training your foot and adjusting your seat position from keeping your body from oscillating will help with the sensitive pedal in Sport+ mode.

I had the update and it basically never happens in any mode except for Sport+ now under rare occasions. Even then I believe it is driver error. Of course it would be best to have my TCU custom tuned by the shop but it really isn't necessary.

Good luck!
Thanks, Jonathan358. Yes it is a known issue, there is now a confirmed recall/service bulletin out on the bucking issue. (See rest of thread). My car received the update yesterday.

I do, however, need to push back on your assertion that it’s operator error. 👎🏼
I should be able to cruise at 35 mph, press my “sensitive pedal” at anytime and demand that my $60k sports car accelerate without bucking whether or not my foot and I have “oscillated”.

My foot and I, as well as the other [fill in blank with C43 owners] who’ve experienced the problem are not responsible for the occurrences.
Old 09-20-2018, 11:22 AM

C43 AMG Convertible
Originally Posted by jonathan358

Good luck!
Originally Posted by CFG
Jessy, I'm saying this one last time, and I'm done: IT CAN BE FIXED.
It was allegedly fixed yesterday!!! CFG- I hear you and appreciate you.
I was responding to another’s assertion that it’s operator error.
Old 09-20-2018, 11:52 AM

Received 181 Likes on 142 Posts
2017 C43
Originally Posted by CFG
Clearly, you didn’t get a car specific patch from AMG and, or the techs didn’t tune it by driving 20 miles with a computer connected. I’m done. Have fun.

somebody is pissing on your leg and calling it rain.
Warm, tropical rain.... hahaha!
Old 09-20-2018, 12:03 PM

C43 AMG Convertible
Originally Posted by mo11

Warm, tropical rain.... hahaha!
Super helpful comment!! 🙄
Old 09-20-2018, 07:47 PM

Received 101 Likes on 84 Posts
2018 Mercedes C43 AMG Coupe
I agree with you that a $60k car should not have this problem and that you should be able to accelerate slowly after a stop in Sport+ mode but in the end it is your foot.

Doing what CFG suggests is the only way to fully fix the issue. All that will happen is them dialing back the sensitivity
Old 09-20-2018, 09:35 PM

Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts
2018 C43 AMG
If you're problem is only in sport+, then its not really a problem, Torque @ 2k rpm with a gear ratio of 5.35 : 1 in 1st gear, which is very high.
The car is meant to perform very aggressive in sport+, not really meant to cruise with unless you use the paddles to shift from 1st to 2nd and so on to avoid transmission "problems". I've tried to cruise in sport+ and It'll stay near red line if i don't shift it myself. If you're experiencing problems in modes such as comfort/eco and the car still jerks aggressively then you have a problem. I thought i had a problem with the transmission in sport+ aswell when i first got the car and it began to jerk in 1st gear letting off throttle and made me look like an idiot that cant drive.

I think the transmission is fine the way it is, If you brake-boost launch the car it shifts veryyy aggressive almost like a baby corsa mode in a lamborghini.

Last edited by C43Ayemgee; 09-20-2018 at 09:37 PM.
Old 09-20-2018, 09:55 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2017 MB C43 coupe, 2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
i had similar overly-jerkiness issues intermittently in both Sport and Sport+. learned to have a baby foot on the gas pedal around town, but finally had my dealer look into a software update yesterday during my B service. Transmission seems to be much smoother now without any loss in acceleration or PE sound.

I've only driven for a day, so more seat time necessary.

lots of comedians / jerks in this thread. sorry