C450/C43 AMG
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please stop complaining about transmission issues and fix your driving instead.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-20-2019, 06:12 PM

Received 137 Likes on 120 Posts
2018 C43
I did my first transmission reset and car feels good. Still does the retarded engine brake jerk in 2nd and 1st every once in awhile. Just need to pull off the foot brake when it does that.
Old 06-20-2019, 09:10 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
C43 Coupe
Originally Posted by munis
Sure. I usually go to heartland in the weekends.
where is heartland?

do you guys know of any curvy roads that are fun in this part of ontario? it's straight roads everywhere.
Old 06-21-2019, 10:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 284 Likes on 194 Posts
2021 Mercedes C63s AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by mcschan86
where is heartland?

do you guys know of any curvy roads that are fun in this part of ontario? it's straight roads everywhere.
I do. But cops usually patrol the roads and the speed limits are ridiculous. Unless you have a couple of lead cars who can go ahead of time and warn you over walky talkies, you would not be able to pull haha. If you are down, we can plan something like that with a few other guys.
Old 06-22-2019, 02:55 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
N/A
I don't believe this is user error as OP says, the car SHOULD not be doing the bunny hop. I still do it on occasion, usually happens slightly uphill after slowing down between 15-25km/hr and then give it throttle.
Old 06-25-2019, 11:33 AM

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts
nothing
Originally Posted by Seanhfx
I don't believe this is user error as OP says, the car SHOULD not be doing the bunny hop. I still do it on occasion, usually happens slightly uphill after slowing down between 15-25km/hr and then give it throttle.
It is not user error lol. There is not a single brand/model does it other than C43. Unfortunately "What I bought is perfect in any way and form" is a mentality which makes people so delusional that blinds them to legitimate faults. I was a long time BMW owner and never had any problem poking fun at BMW for their garbage gaskets on N52/55 engines (VCG, OPG and OFHG), pumping fake engine sound through speakers, etc etc.... Expecting an automatic car not to turn into a mechanical bull is not much to ask.

To some people it even happens in comfort which is totally unacceptable but this mostly happens in stop and go which is not ideal for S+.
Old 06-25-2019, 11:42 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2018 C43 AMG Coupe
Okay well ... I'll be damned ... I was one of the nay-sayers and never understood the bunny hop people mention ..... until today ......

I was patiently waiting at a red light. Light turns green and I slowly start speeding up in S+. The car in front of me suddenly slows down because of a car cutting him/her off and because of that I let go of gas while the car was in the middle of shifting (I guess?). The car then suddenly started throwing me front and back frantically and my girlfriend was like ... wtffffffff is going on ? She randomly got mad at me for "doing it on purpose". I was actually scared lol. During the bunny hop, I tried to give it more gas to shift but it wouldn't .... and made the bunny hopping even worse. I let go of gas and finally it stopped.

I've owned my car (18' c43 coupe) for over a year now and this is the first time it happened. Owned several BMWs before and benz also .... never in my life I experienced something like this before.

Last edited by Seqqsy; 06-25-2019 at 11:47 AM.
Old 06-26-2019, 05:34 AM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
C43 AMG
Get some common sense then.
Don't use Sport Plus in Traffic, stop trying to be a Jerk and make loud Sounds that only disturb People shopping or drinking a Coffee in the Town.

Use Sport Plus on the Track or Alpine Road. Its a Mercedes, atleast TRY to keep up with its gentleman Style and Elegance.
If you wear a Cap, you bought the wrong car.
The following users liked this post:
Jujigatame (06-26-2019)
Old 06-26-2019, 10:02 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2018 C43 AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by Malar
Don't use Sport Plus in Traffic, stop trying to be a Jerk and make loud Sounds that only disturb People shopping or drinking a Coffee in the Town.

Use Sport Plus on the Track or Alpine Road. Its a Mercedes, atleast TRY to keep up with its gentleman Style and Elegance.
No I can't tbh. I only the drive the car in S+ w/ PE. I can understand if you are trying to be a "gentleman" but I am 25 .... I am not going to pretend like I am driving the car as anything but a status symbol. If it had a race mode (like 63s) I'd be driving it in that mode all day long as well. Still doesn't justify the car going psycho on me.
Fishcakes87 (02-25-2023)
Old 06-26-2019, 10:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Malar

Different walks for different folks to be honest. I time to time drive in S+ around town, but l never had any such bunny hop issues. The car gears down to 1st gear every time you stop in S+, then people press the gas halfway, the car jumps infront, they get scared, release the gas, the car engine brakes backward, they get scared, they press the throttle halfway again, and there you go, bunny hop. Simple driving logic would suggest to take the foot of the gas, let the car regroup, and gently press gas again to regain throttle control, but my geniuses instead keeps jabbing the gas more and more, and the car resonates the situation even more. Or in the infinite wisdom, they can just manually upshift using the pedal, but damn, you have to upshift using your hands? In a sports a car in sports mode? You mad you!
Old 06-26-2019, 11:00 AM

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts
nothing
Originally Posted by Seqqsy
No I can't tbh. I only the drive the car in S+ w/ PE. I can understand if you are trying to be a "gentleman" but I am 25 .... I am not going to pretend like I am driving the car as anything but a status symbol. If it had a race mode (like 63s) I'd be driving it in that mode all day long as well. Still doesn't justify the car going psycho on me.
it does NOT, not to mention I am pretty much sure I read somewhere people in Europe (UK I believe) reporting this effect in comfort! WTF, it is absolutely a known flaw.
Old 07-20-2019, 10:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2018 C43 AMG
Reply but also need some suggestions.

I am sorry to be writing this but after reading multiple threads about this problem, what I have noticed is that a lot of the people who are having this issue does not know how to drive this car. Let me just reiterate once again, bunny hop/ rodeo issues in first gear of this car is 100% user inflicted! There is nothing wrong with the car! It is a 362hp (often underrated by mercedes) car with a 9 speed transmission and you cannot expect it to behave like a frigging corolla or civic.

All these complains caused Mercedes to fix an issue which was a non issue to begin with by significantly neutering the throttle response of the car with abysmal fuel economy because the car now stays in one to two lower gears all the time. Also the throttle is almost dead at standstill. All this to address a bunch of customers who does not even know what they are getting into. Do your research better, and if you cannot handle a car like this, do not buy one!

My apologies if this is coming off as harsh. My dealership updated my car without my authorization and it is extremely frustrating now.

I never had this issue in my car for the last 1.5 years I drove it. 2 months back, one of my friend wanted to drive it, so I let him have a go and he caused it to bunny hop immediately. Which was conclusive proof that this problem is user induced. In S+ the car does not like your second guessing throttle inputs. You either go all in or very gentle, there is no midpoint. Also if it does start happening, just pull the upshift paddle! That is what it is there for! You get access to AMG Driving academy with this car. Use it if you need to! But stop complaining about non issues!

Rant Over.
Hahaha. Yes thank you! I was soo pissed off when they updated my car. The dealership made me feel like I was crazy because it did not feel the same after the update. And i was complaining to them that it felt as if the amg tuning was gone. It was very weired and now with you confirming it, I'm not crazy after all. When I first got the car it used to do the hopping jolts once or twice but yeah like u say it all about the user. That's exactly how it happens and when it happens. When u get used to the car and understand its abilities; your golden. Tho I do have a question. Do you ever feel like the transmission slips. For example when I'm driving 30-40km/h and want to pass someone; either in Sport + or comfort mode, my transmission makes a hard jolt or thud! Almost like the gear slips and catches in a split second or the gear switch happens too fast going from gear 4 to 2 in auto mode. It happens when I'm at normal operating temperatures and when I floor the accelerator when I need to pass another vehicle. I dunno if it is because of the change in engine load or what but I assume when your in Sport + the agility of the vehicle should respond to those rapid changes. I even get it when I'm cruising in comfort, going 60km/h and even if I lightly accelerate it's like it slips and catches kind of thump. I dont think this is normal considering the aggressiveness of the vehicle. Any ideas? I have a 2018 C43.
Thanks.

Last edited by Abdol Hakwik; 07-20-2019 at 10:09 PM.
Old 07-21-2019, 09:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Abdol Hakwik
Hahaha. Yes thank you! I was soo pissed off when they updated my car. The dealership made me feel like I was crazy because it did not feel the same after the update. And i was complaining to them that it felt as if the amg tuning was gone. It was very weired and now with you confirming it, I'm not crazy after all. When I first got the car it used to do the hopping jolts once or twice but yeah like u say it all about the user. That's exactly how it happens and when it happens. When u get used to the car and understand its abilities; your golden. Tho I do have a question. Do you ever feel like the transmission slips. For example when I'm driving 30-40km/h and want to pass someone; either in Sport + or comfort mode, my transmission makes a hard jolt or thud! Almost like the gear slips and catches in a split second or the gear switch happens too fast going from gear 4 to 2 in auto mode. It happens when I'm at normal operating temperatures and when I floor the accelerator when I need to pass another vehicle. I dunno if it is because of the change in engine load or what but I assume when your in Sport + the agility of the vehicle should respond to those rapid changes. I even get it when I'm cruising in comfort, going 60km/h and even if I lightly accelerate it's like it slips and catches kind of thump. I dont think this is normal considering the aggressiveness of the vehicle. Any ideas? I have a 2018 C43.
Thanks.
No, I would not consider what you are describing as normal. Did this used to happen before the update?
Old 07-21-2019, 05:36 PM

2018 C43 AMG
No, I would not consider what you are describing as normal. Did this used to happen before the update?
No. Never had this issue until I took my vehicle in for servicing. I had noticed a change in the performance of my vehicle after picking it up from its service A. They had informed me that it was updated and from there on I took it back to them complaining about the transmission issue. Its seems to be a occouring at random but the underlying issue is still present and seems to be getting worse.
Old 07-21-2019, 05:58 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
C43 Coupe
Originally Posted by Abdol Hakwik
No. Never had this issue until I took my vehicle in for servicing. I had noticed a change in the performance of my vehicle after picking it up from its service A. They had informed me that it was updated and from there on I took it back to them complaining about the transmission issue. Its seems to be a occouring at random but the underlying issue is still present and seems to be getting worse.
My dealer also told me that they updated some transmission software for me without my consent during my first service a. On the first days, it did feel different. But after a week or two, it became normal again. I think it needed some time to re learn your driving habit.
Old 07-21-2019, 07:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts
CLS550 4Matic, C43, E350, ML350
My wife’s car does this **** all the time but it’s mostly in comfort mode actually. I sometimes put it in S+ on highways and knock it down to C in traffic or city. We literally were at a light today and car did a massive jerk so I let go of the gas and reapply... then the car moved. I was thinking about taking it to the dealer cause this happens 2-3 times a week...

what is this said “reset”
Old 07-21-2019, 07:06 PM

2018 C43 AMG
Originally Posted by mcschan86
My dealer also told me that they updated some transmission software for me without my consent during my first service a. On the first days, it did feel different. But after a week or two, it became normal again. I think it needed some time to re learn your driving habit.
Yeah I agree 100%. Definitely started feeling normal after a couple weeks. But yeah the slipping I believe it is, I have to get that checked out cause that forsure is not normal. But the rest is just like u say. I'll keep everyone else posted on what happens incase someone else has a similar issue. I've spoken with some C63S owners and a few of them had serious transmission issues. The point where the dealer gave them a new vehicle. I just wish MB used a Dual-clutch Transmission. Honestly might have been better lol. I still love the 9G Speedshift but in my opinion it would have better better to have a DCT.
Old 07-26-2019, 05:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts
CLS550 4Matic, C43, E350, ML350
Took the car to the dealer and service dept def said something is up with this car. Even in comfort, the car shifts terribly and jerks back and forth. They going to do further diagnostics till Monday. Hopefully it’s fixed this time and be done with it.
Old 07-30-2019, 07:59 PM

2018 C43 AMG
Originally Posted by djrabbi
Took the car to the dealer and service dept def said something is up with this car. Even in comfort, the car shifts terribly and jerks back and forth. They going to do further diagnostics till Monday. Hopefully it’s fixed this time and be done with it.
Yeah hopefully it all turns out well for you. I had just got mine back from the dealer. It seems okay. They said that there was nothing wrong and had run all the diagnostics and checked the fluid but everything checked up well. I honestly dont know but well see what will happen down the road. I'm just happy for warranty to cover my *** but I hope nothing fails. Goodluck to you my friend and I hope everthing goes well with your vehicle.
Old 08-18-2019, 09:45 PM

Received 73 Likes on 52 Posts
2019 E63S
I didn't read anything but the first page of this thread. But from my 4yrs of driving this car, I've learned that the bunny hop only happens when you try to accelerate too hard on uneven roads where not all the wheels can gain traction on the pavement. Not sure why perhaps it is because the wheels are spinning at different speeds at that point because the awd tries to kick in and adjust the wheel spins.
Old 09-18-2019, 02:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I guess the people saying other cars don't have these problems can now take a hike:

Last edited by munis; 09-18-2019 at 03:51 PM.
Old 09-18-2019, 02:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 676 Likes on 533 Posts
c
saw that yesterday ^ DCT but still.

this car would be so fun with a manual lol
Old 09-18-2019, 08:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 263 Likes on 207 Posts
C450, GLC43
M4 is a DCT, apples to oranges. TQ converter transmissions don't need to have the quirks of the 9g in order to be quick.

BTW, I encountered my first case of the bunny hop since the software update in my GLC43 last week. It is now much easier to recover by just reducing the throttle input. I did not need to come all the way off of the throttle or upshift like I used to. I can't speak to the C43s but the GLC43s are much improved by the most recent tranny software update.

Last edited by Mr. J; 09-18-2019 at 08:39 PM.
Old 09-18-2019, 08:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,836 Likes on 2,563 Posts
2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by Mr. J
M4 is a DCT, apples to oranges. TQ converter trrannies don't need to have the quirks of the 9g in order to be quick.
Not entirely. Bunny hopping is essentially something that is more likely to occur with clutch based transmissions due to the solid connection between engine and transmission once the clutch is engaged. Hence the experience in this video with the M4, and it happens with other clutch based transmissions. I've bunny hopped my manual transmission cars in the past and it has happened with my C63. Torque converters nowadays have a lockup clutch, and what sport tuned torque converters do is they engage the lockup clutch earlier and leave it engaged longer. Why? Because it leads to a more responsive drivetrain. Throttle inputs result in a much more instantiations response in the drivetrain if it's connected to the engine via the lockup clutch vs. fluid coupling. The downside is that bunny hopping is a possibility, unless the TCU detects the bunny hopping and releases the lockup clutch to smooth it out. The main reason AMG rips out the torque converter altogether and replaces it with a wet clutch in the C63 is to increase the response even further and never have fluid coupling.

Last edited by superswiss; 09-18-2019 at 08:49 PM.
jonathan358 (09-18-2019)
Old 09-19-2019, 08:44 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2018 AMG C43 Coupe
This also happens to me. I got the car two week ago and have had it happen 3 times now. Of course part of me is getting used to how to drive it. Only in sport plus and only when I am hesitant with the gas and not committed. Unfortunately, you can't be committed to the gas petal in the real word unless you have the road to yourself or no one is in front of you. Stuff happens. Like the straight pipes video shows (3:31 for those interested) they don't seem to be starting from a stop. I guess it's just one of those things the car does. Wish it didn't but there you go.
Old 01-26-2023, 12:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MB
Did someone have the problem in Comfort 3>2 (normal driving, trying with reset - nothing) when go down from 3rd to 2nd is jerky (970-1000rmp) and after drop a bit more below 940rpm is one more time jerky, if i drive on Sport is changing the gears bit above 1000 and this is not happening.. C43 '17 86k km transmition oil changed before 10k km, any help would be appreciate it )