Sponsored by:

Y pipe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-05-2018, 10:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C43 AMG COUPE
Y pipe

I just installed a y pipe which bypasses the muffler when valve is open. The exhaust tips on those are located behind main exhaust and pointing down. Car has a vibration when idle. Is that normal ?
Old 10-06-2018, 12:28 PM

Received 127 Likes on 95 Posts
2018 C43 sedan
Originally Posted by Mario Mourad
I just installed a y pipe which bypasses the muffler when valve is open. The exhaust tips on those are located behind main exhaust and pointing down. Car has a vibration when idle. Is that normal ?
You shouldn’t have a vibration. Post pics of your exhaust setup. Might be heat shielding that is vibrating.
Old 10-06-2018, 03:55 PM

C43 AMG COUPE
Originally Posted by HTXgearhead

You shouldn’t have a vibration. Post pics of your exhaust setup. Might be heat shielding that is vibrating.
hey buddy. Thanks for replying. This is the setup.

This is the y pipe . The tip is bending downwards
Old 10-06-2018, 05:47 PM

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
C43 2017
Why you put the y? Why?
Old 10-06-2018, 06:03 PM

C43 AMG COUPE
Originally Posted by Hungalow
Why you put the y? Why?
it was recommended by my local exhaust shop. But just vibrates inside the car at certain rpm. It sounds meaner but it just doesn't feel right.
Old 10-06-2018, 06:10 PM

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
C43 2017
Lol.. I was being sarcastic but since you responded ..I get my sheperd to sit in the front seat and slap him between shifts for that little extra bark between shifts.
Old 10-06-2018, 09:00 PM

Received 127 Likes on 95 Posts
2018 C43 sedan
Originally Posted by Mario Mourad
it was recommended by my local exhaust shop. But just vibrates inside the car at certain rpm. It sounds meaner but it just doesn't feel right.
I would put the car back on the lift and rev to the rpm when it vibrates. In may not work without load on the engine though.

My guess is you that your exhaust is resonating at a frequency that vibrates the heat shielding under the car (there is a lot of it). Your car wasn’t designed to have the exhaust dump under the car. You could extend the y pipe dump will an additional foot or so of piping (near your stock muffler exit) and it would probably resolve the vibrations . But as much as it sucks, I would go back to the standard pipes and remove the y pipe.

You may be losing power with the y pipe open. The ecu controls the exhaust flaps in your PE muffler. The exhaust flaps work with your turbos and create the proper amount of back pressure. Some here with the open valve mod have noticed a lack of low end power when the oem muffler valves are turned off and left open. Not entirely sure how the open flap could decrease power, but that is what I have read here.

On my PE, I removed the suitcase resonator. Made the car about 25% louder. If that isn’t loud enough still, get a tune and catless downpipes.

If you are looking for super loud, it isn’t going to happen. The turbos quiet down the exhaust too much. I’ve never heard a C450 or C43 that I would say is really loud.

Last edited by HTXgearhead; 10-06-2018 at 09:05 PM.
Old 10-09-2018, 09:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 284 Likes on 194 Posts
2021 Mercedes C63s AMG Coupe
I am curious to the affects of this though. Can you post a sound clip?