Sponsored by:

How Our All Wheel Drive Works

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-30-2020, 04:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMG C63S
Question The lateral torque split on C43

I'm considering buying a C43 and I'm interested in the car because of the AWD system. Information on MB websites is just light marketing material. In particular I'd like to know how the lateral (right to left, or left to right) transfer of torque is done in the car. Is it via LSDs (front or rear or both ?) Or is it done using the ETS, that is, by braking the slipping wheel?
Also, how is the front to rear torque split permanently set at a single value ? Is the centre differential mechanically adjusted to provide a constant split ?
Any advise would be very welcome. Thanks.
Old 12-30-2020, 07:51 PM

Received 131 Likes on 83 Posts
2004 E55 K Wagon &. '96 SL500
Originally Posted by stevenackling
I'm considering buying a C43 and I'm interested in the car because of the AWD system. Information on MB websites is just light marketing material. In particular I'd like to know how the lateral (right to left, or left to right) transfer of torque is done in the car. Is it via LSDs (front or rear or both ?) Or is it done using the ETS, that is, by braking the slipping wheel?
Also, how is the front to rear torque split permanently set at a single value ? Is the centre differential mechanically adjusted to provide a constant split ?
Any advise would be very welcome. Thanks.

The car has a multi - clutch transfer case which has a fixed torque split of 69 rear 31 front. The F & R diffs are open, no LSD, there is no lateral torque vectoring like the A45 rear axle, just 2 open diffs, with selective wheel braking if ESP is on or in ESP Sport.
Old 01-05-2021, 10:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C43 /////AMG
Hey guys, really useful info on this topic. Still I don't completely understand something for the C43 / E43 permanent awd with fixed split front - rear: check out this video below, first test when the rear wheels are on rollers and the fronts have traction (ignore the BMW, let's just discuss the 4matic system); , why does it take so long to move forward? The fronts have traction so why does it struggle so much?

BTW I got stuck in a parking log a few weeks ago kind of the same way, rears didn't have a lot of traction and I had to be pushed out of the parking space. Would have tried harder but there were cars parked pretty close and I was afraid I'd slip into them.