Sponsored by:

Front Illuminated Star Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-27-2018, 05:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2018 C 43 AMG Sedan
Front Illuminated Star Question

Searched but couldn’t find this specific answer - threads primarily deal with aftermarket installations. 2018 C43 Sedan W205 - is the OEM factory/dealer installed illuminated front star separately fused or is it fused by attachment through one of the other front lighting circuits? If separate, what underhood fuse box slot would the 5 amp fuse be in? Or could it be in any otherwise “spare” slot? Many thanks.
Old 10-28-2018, 12:00 PM

2018 C 43 AMG Sedan
Originally Posted by ctomsee
Searched but couldn’t find this specific answer - threads primarily deal with aftermarket installations. 2018 C43 Sedan W205 - is the OEM factory/dealer installed illuminated front star separately fused or is it fused by attachment through one of the other front lighting circuits? If separate, what underhood fuse box slot would the 5 amp fuse be in? Or could it be in any otherwise “spare” slot? Many thanks.
No replies so I will respond to my own question. If it hasn't been addressed before, this may help those few of us who prefer that our cars did not come equipped with the illuminated front star (IFS). Again, I'm in the USA and mine is a 2018 C43 Sedan. If you wish to disable IFS it's actually very simple. I discovered by reviewing the IFS aftermarket installation posts that the IFS is almost certainly on its own fuse, so there is no need to remove the IFS grille unit or deal with any wiring. If it was installed the same way mine was (at the factory or dealer), the fuse is in the underhood fuse box, which is located on the right side of the engine bay (as you're looking toward the windshield). You loosen the large black plastic shield on that side, then remove the fuse box cover by loosening two Torx screws. In slot F123 there should be a 5 amp fuse which you then remove. This will disable the IFS only - the owner's manual shows F123 as a "spare" slot. Just put the fuse box cover and the plastic shield back in place and you're good to go. I'm not certain, but I'm very confident this will not generate any kind of fault code or warning signal. Plus, it's an easy matter to re-illuminate the star simply by replacing the fuse if you ever change your mind, trade it in, etc. I hope this helps.
Old 10-30-2018, 06:24 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
GLB 2023
Thanks appreciate it. Why did you not want it on??
Old 10-30-2018, 06:46 PM

2018 C 43 AMG Sedan
For me it came down to personal preference and paranoia. I feel the look and sound of the C43 make enough of a statement. Also, I live in and drive a lot within the city of Chicago - often early mornings and late evenings - and the carjacking rate has skyrocketed here. Hard to “lay low” with a C43, but I just felt there was no need to “advertise.” I know a lot of owners like the feature, and many seem to have added it aftermarket, and I think that’s great for them. It just isn’t my thing. Thanks for asking.

Last edited by ctomsee; 10-31-2018 at 12:38 PM.