JB4 1/4 mile time update

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-12-2018, 05:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 283 Likes on 194 Posts
2021 Mercedes C63s AMG Coupe
JB4 1/4 mile time update

Testing in the boonies. Temp was like 4C outside. And when that happens, my car acts a bit weird.

The following 4 users liked this post by munis:
AMG C43 3LV6 (11-12-2018), C43Ayemgee (11-12-2018), GuardianVA (11-13-2018), waisoserious (11-12-2018)
Old 11-12-2018, 09:39 PM

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
2017 C43 AMG, 2011 Porsche Cayenne Turbo, 2015 GMC Sierra Denali
Do you have the green fuel plug installed?? I tried it after the latest update but my car idled like old school NA muscle then died. So mines unplugged

11.4 is movin.. congrats
Old 11-12-2018, 09:50 PM

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
AMG C43 3LV6
Do you have a 0-60 time?
Old 11-13-2018, 12:10 AM

Received 102 Likes on 77 Posts
GLC43, X P100D, S P100D, CT200H
Originally Posted by AMG C43 3LV6
Do you have a 0-60 time?
That 0-60 would be low 3's for sure. You can approximate it based on the 1/4 and trap speed.
The low ET 1/4 and modest trap means hes launching very well for his car. Prob around 3.3-3.4.
The following users liked this post:
AMG C43 3LV6 (11-13-2018)
Old 11-13-2018, 11:18 AM

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
'19 C43
What did you mean by acting weird? The sample range is a bit compressed in the log, but overall, log looks good from what I can see. Kinda surprised to see the IAT at that high for 5C, but overall, doesn't look like anything is out of sorts. If you wanna post up the .csv file for the log, I'd be glad to look at it scaled out.

That time and trap are very impressive. Congrats!
Old 11-13-2018, 11:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by fendiesal
Do you have the green fuel plug installed?? I tried it after the latest update but my car idled like old school NA muscle then died. So mines unplugged

11.4 is movin.. congrats
No I did not plug in the green wire. That is for monitoring fuel only. Terry is not modifying the fuel trim yet. So it is pointless connecting it.

Do you have a 0-60 time?
Yes, Best is around 3.35, average is 3.4.
Originally Posted by waisoserious
That 0-60 would be low 3's for sure. You can approximate it based on the 1/4 and trap speed.
The low ET 1/4 and modest trap means hes launching very well for his car. Prob around 3.3-3.4.
Haha, got that right man!

Originally Posted by GuardianVA
What did you mean by acting weird? The sample range is a bit compressed in the log, but overall, log looks good from what I can see. Kinda surprised to see the IAT at that high for 5C, but overall, doesn't look like anything is out of sorts. If you wanna post up the .csv file for the log, I'd be glad to look at it scaled out.

That time and trap are very impressive. Congrats!
Acting weird in the sense that, the car feels really fast once the temperature goes below 10C for the car. Like significantly faster. I thought it was butt dyno but dragy confirmed it. My 11.5 @ 121 at the track also happened in 8C. It starts feeling slow again when temp drops below 0. Its a very weird thing haha. Sure I will post it when I get a chance.

Last edited by munis; 11-13-2018 at 11:30 AM.
AMG C43 3LV6 (11-13-2018)
Old 11-13-2018, 01:24 PM

'19 C43
Ahh, OK, I follow.

Yes, the colder the intake air to the turbo, the more power you will get. The colder the air, the denser it is. This increased density of air leads to more fuel-air mixture and overall increased power. The car will be more power efficient the colder the ambient air. It will be less fuel efficient though, as the volume of fuel injected goes up to match the increased air density. Given the level of boost you are running, once you are getting below 0 C, you might be seeing less power because you are leaning out past the point where the car can keep up with the air-fuel target and it reduces power to compensate. In theory, you if you had sufficient fuel injection capacity, you could steadily make more power until the oxygen started to condense out (-183 C). Turbo cars just like cold air, and in Canada you have plenty of that in the winter, lol.
munis (01-07-2019)
Old 11-13-2018, 01:51 PM

Received 71 Likes on 59 Posts
17' C43 Coupe
She is moving my dude!! Good shiet man. I wish i had roads here to experiment with like you man.
Old 11-13-2018, 05:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C43 AMG coupe
If Im interpreting the log correctly it looks like fuel trims are being maxed out which is causing your motor to run lean. Based on where there are tiny surges of AFR and it correlates to where trims are pinned at max of 44.

What fuel are you running? I assume you havent installed the green plug for extra fueling. A leaned out boosted motor can be very risky..

Pretty impressive trap speed
Old 11-13-2018, 08:12 PM

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
AMG C43 3LV6
Originally Posted by munis

Yes, Best is around 3.35, average is 3.4.

Is the JB4 the only mod you have to achieve these times? Thanks in advance.
Old 11-13-2018, 08:59 PM

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Current: 2019 C43 Old: 2016 C450
Nice! Do you know what the JB4 is dyno'ing at? I haven't seen numbers posted yet.
Old 11-13-2018, 09:34 PM

'19 C43
Originally Posted by Freesol
If Im interpreting the log correctly it looks like fuel trims are being maxed out which is causing your motor to run lean. Based on where there are tiny surges of AFR and it correlates to where trims are pinned at max of 44.

What fuel are you running? I assume you havent installed the green plug for extra fueling. A leaned out boosted motor can be very risky..

Naah, he's not running lean. Max trim is 50, so he has plenty of overhead. His AFR looks good, the only point over 15 is early on in the log when he is at part throttle, which is normal. Only thing I noticed was what might be a little boost oscillation, but the scaling is compressed, so it is hard to see for sure.

Again, very impressive Munis.
Old 11-13-2018, 10:53 PM

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts
C43 AMG Coupe
Still struggling to match your 0 to 60, though I am getting a bit better at launching (still waiting on your launching video ) and managed to post a 3.66 before it started raining.

It's getting too cold and wet now so will have to wait until the spring to try and better it and hopefully find a stretch of road to do the 1/4 without endangering anyone.

For now I will blame the extra heft of my coupe for the .3 second deficit

Last edited by ShakyTom; 11-13-2018 at 10:59 PM.
Old 11-13-2018, 11:58 PM

Received 102 Likes on 77 Posts
GLC43, X P100D, S P100D, CT200H
Originally Posted by evoi19
Nice! Do you know what the JB4 is dyno'ing at? I haven't seen numbers posted yet.
Nobody bothers with the Dyno. All the JB guys are all about 1/4 ET and trapspeeds. Which is much more useful/telling.
Old 11-14-2018, 01:08 AM

Received 126 Likes on 95 Posts
2018 C43 sedan

The afr reading is inaccurate between shift points, I think they are working on fixing that.
Old 11-14-2018, 01:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Ahh, OK, I follow.

Yes, the colder the intake air to the turbo, the more power you will get. The colder the air, the denser it is. This increased density of air leads to more fuel-air mixture and overall increased power. The car will be more power efficient the colder the ambient air. It will be less fuel efficient though, as the volume of fuel injected goes up to match the increased air density. Given the level of boost you are running, once you are getting below 0 C, you might be seeing less power because you are leaning out past the point where the car can keep up with the air-fuel target and it reduces power to compensate. In theory, you if you had sufficient fuel injection capacity, you could steadily make more power until the oxygen started to condense out (-183 C). Turbo cars just like cold air, and in Canada you have plenty of that in the winter, lol.
Thank you so much for explaining it! Makes perfect sense. My offer to join the JB4 whatsapp group is still there, haha.

Originally Posted by ShazV6
She is moving my dude!! Good shiet man. I wish i had roads here to experiment with like you man.
Thanks Shaz!

I am running 94, which is available from Petro Canada in Canada. And no I have not installed the green plug cause it is not doing anything at the moment. You can plug it in and monitor the fuel trim, but it is more than useless in modifying the trim as Terry did no work on the fuel trim just yet. Apparently it is in his pipeline.
Is the JB4 the only mod you have to achieve these times? Thanks in advance.
Yeah the Jb4 is the only powertrain mod I have. My car is lowered on lowering springs and lately the car has dumped a lot more than advertised. H&R said 2" only, but mine is way more than that. So I have some bad camber issues. But somehow my PS4s still hooks, no problem. Ofcourse I have to modulate the throttle quite a bit during launch.

Originally Posted by evoi19
May be @Guardian VA can explain this better, but a member here named 18Bora found out the C43 with JB dynos really low which does not match ET and trap speed seen on the track. A reason (my best guess) for that is that the airflow numbers on the dyno (often dependent on the cooling fan ahead) does not correlate with the airflow vs boost table in the ECU. So the ECU pulls back timing significantly on the noddy for cars with JB. The numbers align when the cars are running on the road, so the ECU gives you almost full power.

Naah, he's not running lean. Max trim is 50, so he has plenty of overhead. His AFR looks good, the only point over 15 is early on in the log when he is at part throttle, which is normal. Only thing I noticed was what might be a little boost oscillation, but the scaling is compressed, so it is hard to see for sure.

Again, very impressive Munis.
Thanks a lot man! I am sure you can come up with a much better custom map if you get a JB4. I really think you should try one.

Originally Posted by ShakyTom
Still struggling to match your 0 to 60, though I am getting a bit better at launching (still waiting on your launching video ) and managed to post a 3.66 before it started raining.

It's getting too cold and wet now so will have to wait until the spring to try and better it and hopefully find a stretch of road to do the 1/4 without endangering anyone.

For now I will blame the extra heft of my coupe for the .3 second deficit
Haha, sorry man, thing is usually when I go for these runs, it is completely unprepared. I was coming back from work and I was like the road looks empty. So I just turned on my map and dragy and went for it. First run was 11.9 then 11.5, then 11.6 and then finally 11.43. Trap ranged for 120 to 122.

Originally Posted by waisoserious
Nobody bothers with the Dyno. All the JB guys are all about 1/4 ET and trapspeeds. Which is much more useful/telling.
100 percent! Dyno is just a tuning tool. ET and trap Numbers shows you real life data.

Originally Posted by HTXgearhead
The afr reading is inaccurate between shift points, I think they are working on fixing that.
Did he give an ETA?
Old 11-15-2018, 11:17 AM

'19 C43
Originally Posted by munis
Thank you so much for explaining it! Makes perfect sense. My offer to join the JB4 whatsapp group is still there, haha.

May be @Guardian VA can explain this better, but a member here named 18Bora found out the C43 with JB dynos really low which does not match ET and trap speed seen on the track. A reason (my best guess) for that is that the airflow numbers on the dyno (often dependent on the cooling fan ahead) does not correlate with the airflow vs boost table in the ECU. So the ECU pulls back timing significantly on the noddy for cars with JB. The numbers align when the cars are running on the road, so the ECU gives you almost full power.
I still may join it, lol.

As far as the dyno thing...could be any number of reasons. 18bora may have been on a Mustang Dyno, which usually puts out numbers lower than any other dyno make/model (usually around 10-15% lower than Dynojet, which is what BMS has in-house). Even if it is on a Dynojet, different models may be load based vs inertia based, which means the car on the dyno may not actually be seeing the same engine load as when it is on the street accelerating. Plus, dyno runs for a chart are done in a single gear usually, so you are only getting a "snapshot" of power at a set load range, rather than across multiple gears (and therefore varying load) as in a 1/4 mile run.
Old 11-15-2018, 09:39 PM

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Current: 2019 C43 Old: 2016 C450
I get the dyno reasoning and numbers differ based on multiple things like type of dyno, elevation, weather, etc. Just would like to see an estimate that's all. Mid 11's with a trap of 122mph is damn good tho!
munis (01-07-2019)