Sponsored by:

Tire stategy

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-25-2018, 10:39 AM

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
2019 C43 AMG, 2016 BMW M235xi (gone)
Tire stategy

Taking delivery of my C43 (hopefully soon) in the Chicago winter, means that I have the think about my tires. I went with the 19" wheels knowing that I would need to change tires immediately. I just really like the look of the 19s. I may regret it, but we'll see. My thought is to switch out to all seasons and then either sell the OEM tires, or keep them to put back on the car in the Spring. If I keep them, it would mean that I should be able to get through my 30k mile lease with these two sets of tires, putting about 12-15k on each set. Available at my local tire shop within the range I'd like to pay are: Bridgestone Potenza RE980, Conti Extreme Contacts, Pirelli Cinturado Strada Sport, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3. There are also cheaper models from manufacturers like West Lake, Nangkang, Kuhmo, General, Nitto, etc.

What say you?
Old 11-25-2018, 01:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 263 Likes on 207 Posts
C450, GLC43
The Conti DWS06 and the Michelin AS3+ are the best performance AS tires hands down. They are head and shoulders above the rest.
I have nearly 10k on my AS3+ and they do fine in light snow and slush. I rotate them as my winter tire and use the OEM summer tires for about half the year. The dry traction of the AS3+ is exceptional and I actually prefer them to the OEM summer performance tires.

If you want to go with an AS tire get either the AS3+ or the DWS06 anything else is a major step down in performance.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...r.jsp?ttid=216

OTOH, Mercedes wheels are soft and fragile. They look pretty but they crack easily. If I had a chance to go back and do it differently, I'd go with the 18'' wheels. Too many flats and wheel cracks.
Old 11-25-2018, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. J
The Conti DWS06 and the Michelin AS3+ are the best performance AS tires hands down. They are head and shoulders above the rest.
I have nearly 10k on my AS3+ and they do fine in light snow and slush. I rotate them as my winter tire and use the OEM summer tires for about half the year. The dry traction of the AS3+ is exceptional and I actually prefer them to the OEM summer performance tires.

If you want to go with an AS tire get either the AS3+ or the DWS06 anything else is a major step down in performance.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...r.jsp?ttid=216

OTOH, Mercedes wheels are soft and fragile. They look pretty but they crack easily. If I had a chance to go back and do it differently, I'd go with the 18'' wheels. Too many flats and wheel cracks.
Thank you. I have a feeling I'm going to regret the 19" decision as well. Luckily, I only drive around 7,000 miles per year so I'm hoping to minimize my risk. Time will tell. I will definitely go with one of those tires though.
Old 11-25-2018, 01:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 263 Likes on 207 Posts
C450, GLC43
Originally Posted by merlin3008
Thank you. I have a feeling I'm going to regret the 19" decision as well. Luckily, I only drive around 7,000 miles per year so I'm hoping to minimize my risk. Time will tell. I will definitely go with one of those tires though.
Since you're in Chicago, you might be better served with dedicated winters. You can get a set of replica 18'' AMG wheels fairly cheaply if you don't want to deal with wheel swaps. Definitely go aftermarket if you buy wheels. Non-forged MB OEM wheels are inferior in strength and quality to just about everything else out there.
Old 11-25-2018, 02:34 PM

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts
2019 AMG C43 Sedan
Taking delivery of my C43 (hopefully soon) in the Chicago winter, means that I have the think about my tires. I went with the 19" wheels knowing that I would need to change tires immediately. I just really like the look of the 19s. I may regret it, but we'll see. My thought is to switch out to all seasons and then either sell the OEM tires, or keep them to put back on the car in the Spring. If I keep them, it would mean that I should be able to get through my 30k mile lease with these two sets of tires, putting about 12-15k on each set. Available at my local tire shop within the range I'd like to pay are: Bridgestone Potenza RE980, Conti Extreme Contacts, Pirelli Cinturado Strada Sport, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3. There are also cheaper models from manufacturers like West Lake, Nangkang, Kuhmo, General, Nitto, etc.

What say you?
Do they coat the roads there in salt and other chemicals like they do here in New England making a giant mess of everything?
Old 11-27-2018, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by MVEOVR
Do they coat the roads there in salt and other chemicals like they do here in New England making a giant mess of everything?
They do, but after seeing the first storm, I don't think it's nearly as bad.
Old 11-27-2018, 12:40 PM

Received 127 Likes on 95 Posts
2018 C43 sedan
Taking delivery of my C43 (hopefully soon) in the Chicago winter, means that I have the think about my tires. I went with the 19" wheels knowing that I would need to change tires immediately.

What say you?
I say there are a ton of threads on this already.

Last edited by HTXgearhead; 11-27-2018 at 01:03 PM.
The following users liked this post:
RichardCranium3 (11-27-2018)