To Keep Or Not To Keep (C450)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-11-2018, 04:41 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
2016 C450 AMG Sport
To Keep Or Not To Keep (C450)

Hi all

I am an infrequent forum visitor and I have shared my exploits with my C450 periodically here as well as an SLK 350 that I take on the track. I have been generally happy with my C450 except for a few quibbles I have with the car. I leased it almost 3 years ago and justified the expense due to the amount of driving I did for work and its mix of comfort and performance.

As my user name suggests, I struggle with a hankering to go back to my Beemer roots and, as I come to the end of my lease this April, I’m having a mix of fun and frustration looking at what else is out there.

And doing the math I was pleasantly surprised to see that I am very right side up in the car which made me wonder if I should refinance it and just keep it, being that it is a wonderful automobile, has been trouble free and it literally has every option one can tick for this car so I would want for very little. My issues are wanting to change the color of the car (wrap) - having never been happy with black - and potentially changing out the color of the Burlewood interior trim for something a bit more contemporary. I am pondering whether doing these changes would be worth it and if I would really go through with it after keeping the car.

It’s always fun to see feedback when asking other enthusiasts about car choice (which I know is very subjective) but I would love to hear opinions out there about whether not I should keep this car and make subtle appearance modifications or move on to something else. Opinions welcome!
Old 12-11-2018, 08:03 PM

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Current: 2019 C43 Old: 2016 C450
It sounds like you already semi solved your issues with a new wrap on the exterior and you can always purchase a different trim to replace what you have now.

I'm in a similar situation as you where I have to return my c450 in March. My payments are great and I wouldn't mind keeping it..but.... I decided to order a new c43 since I do like the model overall and the new features/facelift for 2019. However my main decision to go with a new model was because people liked rear ending the car too often and I just didn't want it going forward. I've had to get the paint corrected from chipping on the hood and had an issue with the drive shaft. I'lll always be a BMW fan and still have my e90! I just drive it on the weekends when I have time.

Would you be able to keep the C450 and maybe get an e30 to mess around with for fun?
Old 12-11-2018, 08:33 PM

2016 C450 AMG Sport
Originally Posted by evoi19
It sounds like you already semi solved your issues with a new wrap on the exterior and you can always purchase a different trim to replace what you have now.

I'm in a similar situation as you where I have to return my c450 in March. My payments are great and I wouldn't mind keeping it..but.... I decided to order a new c43 since I do like the model overall and the new features/facelift for 2019. However my main decision to go with a new model was because people liked rear ending the car too often and I just didn't want it going forward. I've had to get the paint corrected from chipping on the hood and had an issue with the drive shaft. I'lll always be a BMW fan and still have my e90! I just drive it on the weekends when I have time.

Would you be able to keep the C450 and maybe get an e30 to mess around with for fun?
Sorry that others have used your car for a battering ram. Frustrating !

I do have my 2005 SLK350 which is my weekender and track car so I’m fortunate. Whether I keep my C450 or turn it in, that car will remain my toy.

Ive been studying quality wrap jobs for interior trim and exterior and I think I’d do it as long as the quality didn’t look cheesy.

Last edited by BeemerToBenz; 12-12-2018 at 10:10 AM.
Old 12-11-2018, 09:34 PM

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
2019 C43 AMG, 2016 BMW M235xi (gone)
I ask myself the same question every three years. I run the numbers and realize that I may or may not have value in the car I'm turning in. But then I come to my senses and realize that I personally like variety and I'm just ready for something new every few years. I will tell you though...my M235 is the first car in a long time that I am going to miss. I just don't have any complaints about it. It's quick. It looks good. It's been super reliable. It's even fun in the snow. I thought about buying it, but after I thought more, I just needed a change. Let's just hope my C43 comes before Monday.
Old 12-11-2018, 10:23 PM

2016 C450 AMG Sport
Originally Posted by merlin3008
I ask myself the same question every three years. I run the numbers and realize that I may or may not have value in the car I'm turning in. But then I come to my senses and realize that I personally like variety and I'm just ready for something new every few years.
Yes, my feelings exactly! I have owned 25 cars in my lifetime because every 2-3 years I get the itch. I need to decide if the C450 is worthy of retaining my love!
Old 12-12-2018, 08:39 AM

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
2019 C43 AMG, 2016 BMW M235xi (gone)
Where on the east coast are you? I spent 25 years in New York and Connecticut.
Old 12-12-2018, 10:12 AM

2016 C450 AMG Sport
Originally Posted by merlin3008
Where on the east coast are you? I spent 25 years in New York and Connecticut.
Virginia. Just enough snow that awd is preferable.
Old 12-12-2018, 10:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 263 Likes on 207 Posts
C450, GLC43
Originally Posted by BeemerToBenz
Hi all

I am an infrequent forum visitor and I have shared my exploits with my C450 periodically here as well as an SLK 350 that I take on the track. I have been generally happy with my C450 except for a few quibbles I have with the car. I leased it almost 3 years ago and justified the expense due to the amount of driving I did for work and its mix of comfort and performance.

As my user name suggests, I struggle with a hankering to go back to my Beemer roots and, as I come to the end of my lease this April, I’m having a mix of fun and frustration looking at what else is out there.

And doing the math I was pleasantly surprised to see that I am very right side up in the car which made me wonder if I should refinance it and just keep it, being that it is a wonderful automobile, has been trouble free and it literally has every option one can tick for this car so I would want for very little. My issues are wanting to change the color of the car (wrap) - having never been happy with black - and potentially changing out the color of the Burlewood interior trim for something a bit more contemporary. I am pondering whether doing these changes would be worth it and if I would really go through with it after keeping the car.

It’s always fun to see feedback when asking other enthusiasts about car choice (which I know is very subjective) but I would love to hear opinions out there about whether not I should keep this car and make subtle appearance modifications or move on to something else. Opinions welcome!

I think you should keep it. Add a JB4 and maybe an AWE touring exhaust. That will keep you happy for a few more years.
The following users liked this post:
Csandoval1988 (12-12-2018)
Old 12-14-2018, 07:04 AM

Received 132 Likes on 112 Posts
2018 C43 AMG Brilliant Blue Metallic
Also consider driving a c43 18 or 19 model just for the transmission.

The 9 speed is a great trans
The following users liked this post:
CA400 (12-14-2018)
Old 12-18-2018, 12:07 AM

2016 C450 AMG Sport
Thanks, everyone, for the input. I spent some time this week detailing my car (long overdue compounding of horrible paint swirls I’ve had since I leased it). I think I had resisted really making it perfect because I had decided it was being turned back in and always thought ‘eh, why bother?’.

Now that I’ve begun to imagine it staying in my garage, I’m having fun imagining how to keep it sharp and fresh. I will likely keep it and then decide down the road if it remains with me to old age!

Thanks again, all.