C450/C43 AMG
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2019 Auto-Time and Compass Don't work By Design without nav?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-17-2018, 03:03 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2019 C43
2019 Auto-Time and Compass Don't work By Design without nav?

Anybody else take delivery of a 2019 without the multimedia/nav package?

Mine displays the wrong timezone/time and the compass only ever says you are facing north. At the dealership for service related to my other issues, and they are saying this is by design because you have to either buy the nav or the SD card for the compass and clock to work. Otherwise, set the clock manually and override the auto timezone and just accept that the compass will always show North.

Can I get confirmation from anyone else on this?

Thanks!
Old 12-19-2018, 01:49 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
2019 AMG C43 Sedan
Originally Posted by kjwitha43

Mine displays the wrong timezone/time and the compass only ever says you are facing north. At the dealership for service related to my other issues, and they are saying this is by design because you have to either buy the nav or the SD card for the compass and clock to work. Otherwise, set the clock manually and override the auto timezone and just accept that the compass will always show North.

Thanks!
My compass doesn't work but the time display on the screen is correct. ('19 sedan)
Old 12-19-2018, 02:15 PM

Received 102 Likes on 85 Posts
2018 Mercedes C43 AMG Coupe
Anyone's auto DST not work? I had to turn mine "off" for it to display the correct time. It was an hour ahead.
Old 12-21-2018, 11:30 AM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Past: BMW 330ci ZHP '04, Audi S4 '11, VW Touareg TDI '12, BMW 328i '13, C43 '19. Current: C43 '24

Thanks!

This would infuriate me. Not so much the clock, since I usually make that faster so I get places on time... at least until I remember it fast. But the compass thing would **** me off. I use my compass on my BMW rear view mirror often when I am trying to go around traffic or just exploring. I do this in combination with Waze and Google Maps. Sometimes its a PITA to plug in places I am somewhat familiar with into the phone apps. Both of these should not be dependent upon Nav or Nav SD cards. Especially considering I didnt get pre-wired or Nav.

A long time ago, when I was using a blackberry, AT&T blocked a navigation app on the back end from displaying on the phone, even when it was installed. I reported them to the FCC and it magically started working after a voicemail from AT&T's consumer affairs department. Knowingly disabling or hindering proper use of a product, even as small as a compass, is grounds for a class action. Sure, we would all get 2 dollars for the suit, but I am sure a significant amount of people would not deal well with this. Suppose the cars with navigation have a nav fault? Does the compass fault as well?
Old 12-21-2018, 11:45 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2019 C43
Originally Posted by jonathan358
Anyone's auto DST not work? I had to turn mine "off" for it to display the correct time. It was an hour ahead.
Are you using the automatic time zone setting? On my car, if you use automatic time time/zone set, it always sets it to GMT time.

I assume everyone else that has a correct time had to change to manually setting the clock? Or is this unique to my car? It clearly is not getting a signal from a gps satelite that it should be able to get regardless of what package you have added. I just can't buy the story from the tech that your brand new $65k car comes with a broken compass and clock on purpose.
Old 12-21-2018, 12:52 PM

Received 102 Likes on 85 Posts
2018 Mercedes C43 AMG Coupe
Are you using the automatic time zone setting? On my car, if you use automatic time time/zone set, it always sets it to GMT time.

I assume everyone else that has a correct time had to change to manually setting the clock? Or is this unique to my car? It clearly is not getting a signal from a gps satelite that it should be able to get regardless of what package you have added. I just can't buy the story from the tech that your brand new $65k car comes with a broken compass and clock on purpose.
I had the automatic time zone setting on since I got my car (in EST) until it was Daylight Savings day in which I had to turn off the automatic time zone setting to get it to one hour back (the new time).

I never had to manually adjust the clock other than doing this procedure to get it one hour back.
Old 12-21-2018, 01:36 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Past: BMW 330ci ZHP '04, Audi S4 '11, VW Touareg TDI '12, BMW 328i '13, C43 '19. Current: C43 '24
For the compass, I remember I had to calibrate it when I got my most recent car by driving in circles in a parking lot- almost like what we have to do for the iphone app. Whats the manual say?
Old 12-21-2018, 01:43 PM

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
2019 C43 AMG, 2016 BMW M235xi (gone)
I can't imagine that Mercedes would put a dummy compass in a car that only works if you have NAV. It doesn't make sense, especially since when you have NAV, you usually don't need the compass. I've had Toyotas and Nissans that have had functioning compasses. There has to be something wrong.

Edit: Although as i look at the order guide, the word "compass" is not contained in the document. On the other hand, neither is the word "reverse" and I assume the car can go backwards.

Last edited by merlin3008; 12-21-2018 at 01:47 PM.