C450/C43 AMG
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Love my new C43! Here's what I'd change....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 01:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes C43
Love my new C43! Here's what I'd change....

Picked up a 2017 C43 (sedan) on a swap a few months ago. Panoramic roof, AMG exhuast, I think an upgraded steering wheel, HUD. Came from 4 consecutive 335s so that is my comparison.

Love the C43! The BMW does do some things better, but not much (not counting the new 340 coming out right now).

That being said, here's my nitpicks!

1. Suspension. Drove it out of Philly which had nice roads. Got it back to Michigan where our roads look they suffer from routine bombing by the Luftwaffe. Car's ride is harsh on a good day. Swapped in a set of run-flats that were the same model I had put on my BMW that really smoothed out the BMW ride. No luck with the C43. I'd love if that little suspension button had as much impact on the ride (smooth->firm) as the exhaust button does for the noise. Curious if anybody has swapped in non run-flats and how much smoother the ride is?

2. Radio controls on the steering wheel - without having to dedicate the center console (prime real estate!) to the radio. I understand the 2019 has since added dedicated radio controls to the steering wheel.

3. App needs some love. I bat about .500 getting the car to start with it. My wife's 2012 Buick's app was rock solid with remote starts. Plus, if the car isn't locked when I hit the Start button from the app, why not just lock the doors for me instead of making me lock them?

4. Car turns off when unlocked after it is started from the app. This is just .... unnecessary.

5. HUD could use more customization options. This is one place where BMW out paces the Mercedes.

6. Colored caliper. Seeing all its competitors with their calipers nice colors, my dull grey is kinduva bummer. Plus, adding one to the back would be great. Red, blue, yellow - whatever - maybe even make the color an option.

All that being said - this is the best car I've ever had. Just shy of perfect!

What would you change?
Old 01-10-2019, 02:08 PM

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
2019 C43 AMG, 2016 BMW M235xi (gone)
I have a 2019 with 400 miles and I agree, I love this car. There are two things that I think are odd. Both are pretty nitpicky but here they are...

1) the compass on the center screen- if you don’t have the NAV, the compass just says N consistently. That’s just wrong. It would not have been hard to simply remove this from the UI for cars without the NAV rather than show wrong data.

2) the rendering of the car on the screen- ok this is really really small, but when you change the dynamic settings of the car, you see a picture of the car on the screen. But that picture is a c300. This wouldn’t bother at all if the Mercedes me app didn’t show a car in my color, trim and wheel options. It nails it. Again, not a big deal, but I noticed it.

Old 01-10-2019, 02:29 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2019 C43
Originally Posted by merlin3008

1) the compass on the center screen- if you don’t have the NAV, the compass just says N consistently. That’s just wrong. It would not have been hard to simply remove this from the UI for cars without the NAV rather than show wrong data.
I'm convinced that compass thing is a bug; there is no way that "by design" the car is supposed to always tell you you are going north. I hope/assume this can be fixed in a software update at some point in the near future.

Speaking of coming from 335's, I really miss my HUD and my heated steering wheel. On my 2009 335, it had the track next/prev button on the steering wheel, and that was WAY easier than the multi controls on my 2015 335 or my new c43.

I like apple car play a lot, but there is still some weirdness about using it in combination with the other controls for the car. The user experience of switching between things really confuses me, and the fact that you can't make a call on a phone using the phone controls or bluetooth when carplay is on is crazy to me. But I still haven't quite figured out how all of these controls work together yet, its not super obvious.

Also a tiny complaint, I wish there was a "beep" upon locking instead of the horn. I think you can just silent it completely, but am I missing something?

And why does the heated seat setting not turn on automatically when last used? Or it does sometimes but not all depending on some factors?

Ok enough complaints about stupid stuff
Old 01-10-2019, 02:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 344 Likes on 206 Posts
2017 C43 AMG
where in michigan are you? I am from the mitten as well western detroit suburb.

i have a 2017 as well i picked up from pennsylvania michigan dealers arent my favorite.

anyway, i changed the headlights to the ILS system. I added carplay. and new wheels. everything else is great IMO yes the app can suck sometimes but it usually works for me. i must be a lucky one. ride is harsh, but take off the run flats and go with a conventional tire with a repair kit in the trunk and youll be happy.

also it didnt have enough power stock, got a jb4 on it and it rocks now.

maybe if you are close we can meet up!
Old 01-10-2019, 08:30 PM

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts
2023 AMG EQE 53
As for the compass, I have MB SD nav and the compass always says N but the arrow points in the direction North and of course varues on which direction the car is going, it's telling which direction North is, might look closer. Of course if it doesn't move it is a bug.
Old 01-10-2019, 08:32 PM

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts
2023 AMG EQE 53
and I agree with the vehicle rendering, it's great on the Mercedes me App so why not on the car itself. From the VIN it actually knows the details.