Sponsored by:

Telephone Mounting for $3

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-07-2019, 02:38 PM

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts
C 43
Telephone Mounting for $3

This one is silly but I wanted to pass it along.

I live in my car for work-I fight speeding tickets in the NYC area, so there's a lot of driving, about 30k/year. (no lease here) Bluetooth and connectivity is something I'll pay for. I run an apple phone but it doesn't matter for this story.

I plug in the phone, with the very impressive MB iPhone cable...it is just long enough for the phone to rest on the tiny shelf behind the Comand screen. The phone is out of the cup holders and out of the way of the passenger and the wire doesn't cross anything. Perfect !

The only problem is that a hard left turn (not that I'd ever be shooting my well known reference roads) the phone would slide off and end up in the passenger door pocket. Not Good.

A trip to the big box store for some felt pads produced a round one inch pad with sticky on one side. Looking behind the comand screen, there is a lip on the shelf where two assemblies meet. I put the round felt there, just before the lip. Put phone back in slot, making sure it is "caught" by the raised felt pad.

Again shot the reference left turn ramp at speed, er, drove very carefully, and the phone stayed in place.

Best of all, it's out of the way, easy to grab if you need to while not moving, and the phone's antennas are up on the dashboard, not behind a metal door. There is zero damage to the car, and if you lease or sell it, no one will notice.

Hope this helps someone......
Old 02-07-2019, 02:55 PM

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Saab 900 SET
Got pic?
Old 02-07-2019, 07:33 PM

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
AMG C43 3LV6
Originally Posted by speedlaw
This one is silly but I wanted to pass it along.

I live in my car for work-I fight speeding tickets in the NYC area, so there's a lot of driving, about 30k/year. (no lease here) Bluetooth and connectivity is something I'll pay for. I run an apple phone but it doesn't matter for this story.

I plug in the phone, with the very impressive MB iPhone cable...it is just long enough for the phone to rest on the tiny shelf behind the Comand screen. The phone is out of the cup holders and out of the way of the passenger and the wire doesn't cross anything. Perfect !

The only problem is that a hard left turn (not that I'd ever be shooting my well known reference roads) the phone would slide off and end up in the passenger door pocket. Not Good.

A trip to the big box store for some felt pads produced a round one inch pad with sticky on one side. Looking behind the comand screen, there is a lip on the shelf where two assemblies meet. I put the round felt there, just before the lip. Put phone back in slot, making sure it is "caught" by the raised felt pad.

Again shot the reference left turn ramp at speed, er, drove very carefully, and the phone stayed in place.

Best of all, it's out of the way, easy to grab if you need to while not moving, and the phone's antennas are up on the dashboard, not behind a metal door. There is zero damage to the car, and if you lease or sell it, no one will notice.

Hope this helps someone......
I bough this charger and it holds up well it is also hard wired into the car. It sits just under the rear view mirror.

https://www.mobilezap.com.au/iottie-...-charger-65675
Old 02-08-2019, 03:13 PM

C 43

here's the photo. I suppose if you had any sort of rubber bumper or other "foot" for an appliance or computer parts with an adhesive back it would work the same..its just a small enough bump to keep the phone from sliding off.
Old 02-08-2019, 03:42 PM

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Saab 900 SET
Originally Posted by speedlaw
here's the photo. I suppose if you had any sort of rubber bumper or other "foot" for an appliance or computer parts with an adhesive back it would work the same..its just a small enough bump to keep the phone from sliding off.
I see what you did, looks like a good solution!
Old 02-08-2019, 04:45 PM

C 43
All my car problems should so easily be solved