question about removing star emblem on trunk

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-04-2019, 05:58 PM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
C450 AMG - Polar White
question about removing star emblem on trunk

hey really quick,
has anyone removed the star emblem off the trunk or replaced it? i got a new one black one, to finish my dechroming.
i watched a few videos about people removing it but they all leave out the details.
do the little grommets that hold it in place stay mounted on the trunk or do they fall out the back once the emblem is removed?
basically i am asking to see if i need to take off the trunk and keep tabs on the grommets, so they dont just pop off and rattle inside somewhere. or if everything stays in place and its just plug and play from the outside.
thanks!

Last edited by Skim450; 03-04-2019 at 06:05 PM.
Old 03-04-2019, 06:47 PM

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
'19 C43
The little grommets will either come out still stuck to the star's prongs, or they will stay in the holes in the trunk. Mine came out with the chrome star.

I actually used this video as a guide. Gives a good idea of what to do and how it works.

Old 03-04-2019, 06:57 PM

C450 AMG - Polar White
great, thank you for clarifying.
Old 03-05-2019, 07:40 AM

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
19 C43 Coupe, XC 60
Good info.
Old 03-05-2019, 09:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2018 C43
this post should be stickied
Old 03-05-2019, 10:07 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2006 cls55
Originally Posted by Skim450
hey really quick,
has anyone removed the star emblem off the trunk or replaced it? i got a new one black one, to finish my dechroming.
i watched a few videos about people removing it but they all leave out the details.
do the little grommets that hold it in place stay mounted on the trunk or do they fall out the back once the emblem is removed?
basically i am asking to see if i need to take off the trunk and
keep tabs on the grommets, so they dont just pop off and rattle inside somewhere. or if everything stays in place and its just plug and play from the outside.
thanks!
do you mind posting a link to where you purschase yours?

Ive been trying to purschase one on eBay and Amazon and it keeps saying it doesn’t fit my 2019 model.
Old 03-05-2019, 10:20 AM

'19 C43
Originally Posted by Jurena
do you mind posting a link to where you purschase yours?

Ive been trying to purchase one on eBay and Amazon and it keeps saying it doesn’t fit my 2019 model.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gloss-Black...72.m2749.l2649

That's where I got mine, but it looks like they're down to their last set. It shows a long delivery time, but I actually got it in less than two weeks. Your results may vary.

Any of the stars that fit the 2016-2018 C-class sedan will work on a 2019. The star on the coupe and cabriolet is different. One thing I did notice, is that the star is a pretty soft plastic, and the black star that I received wasn't perfectly flush with the trunk like the OEM chrome star was. I heated it with a hair dryer and very gently bent it before I did the install. If you have the time and patience, it might be worth cutting little strips of 3M double-sided tape and putting that around the edge of the star, so it won't stick up and possible get snagged when you wash the car.
Old 03-05-2019, 11:15 AM

C450 AMG - Polar White
i got mine on ebay too. as linked above by Guardian. stuff came from China... took about a month from time of order. also, i second the 3m sticky tape if you have the time. i didnt do that process and the edges do stick up a tad and arent perfectly flush with the trunk. it was really diffiicult to pull the star out without getting into the trunk liner. but it surely can be done for those that are looking how to do this mod. but i didnt want to pull the new star emblem back off and risk breaking it (i was able to keep the original intact, but if you are looking to preserve the integrity of the badge, i'd definitely recommend going through the inside and pushing out. seems like the safer route, for sure)

guardian, do you think heating the edges and trying to bend it slightly would give it a better fit while heating it on the car? it isn't a terrible fit as is, but it does bother me because i am a perfectionist. and you make a good point about catching an edge while cleaning or something. i wonder if a bit of heat will warp it enough to sit flush? anyone have any recommendations? i really dont want to do the process all over again in removing the badge just to get some sticky tape in there. wish i would have known that before i did anything, i definitely would have taken the time to do it.

Last edited by Skim450; 03-05-2019 at 11:29 AM.
Old 03-05-2019, 11:53 AM

'19 C43
Originally Posted by Skim450
i got mine on ebay too. as linked above by Guardian. stuff came from China... took about a month from time of order. also, i second the 3m sticky tape if you have the time. i didnt do that process and the edges do stick up a tad and arent perfectly flush with the trunk. it was really diffiicult to pull the star out without getting into the trunk liner. but it surely can be done for those that are looking how to do this mod. but i didnt want to pull the new star emblem back off and risk breaking it (i was able to keep the original intact, but if you are looking to preserve the integrity of the badge, i'd definitely recommend going through the inside and pushing out. seems like the safer route, for sure)

guardian, do you think heating the edges and trying to bend it slightly would give it a better fit while heating it on the car? it isn't a terrible fit as is, but it does bother me because i am a perfectionist. and you make a good point about catching an edge while cleaning or something. i wonder if a bit of heat will warp it enough to sit flush? anyone have any recommendations? i really dont want to do the process all over again in removing the badge just to get some sticky tape in there. wish i would have known that before i did anything, i definitely would have taken the time to do it.
When I heated mine, it was off the car. I test fit the star first, since the grommets came out with the chrome star it was easy. I don't think heating it on the car will do much good, as you won't have much space to bend it and it won't really warp by itself to sit flush. It might be worth trying to cut little slivers of the 3m tape and put it under the edges that are not touching the paint.
Old 03-07-2019, 07:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2018 C43
anyone use the 3M press & play for reattaching the emblems?

Old 03-07-2019, 07:18 PM

C450 AMG - Polar White
damn that stuff looks interesting, never heard of anything like that. curious to hear as well...

just to update on what i tried, i took some small little cut pieces of standard double sided sticky and the stripes were so small and thin, they didn't really hold the edges of the badge to the trunk at all. so that didn't really help as much as i thought it would. it stuck for about 1 minute, then came off. i feel like the extremely minimal contact area didn't really give itself a chance to adhere.