C450/C43 AMG
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upgrading to burmester speakers from hardon kardon?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-12-2019, 06:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes 2018 c43
Upgrading to burmester speakers from hardon kardon?

Anyone know if you can retrofit them and replace the terrible Harmon kardon ones? Or know of any other speaker brands that would serve as an upgrade to the base Harmon kardon ones that have zero bass.
Old 03-12-2019, 08:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes 2018 c43
rather than retrofitting the burmester, is there any quick fix to the lack of audio output. Like aftermarket speakers that would just plug and play where the Harmon kardon ones were to achieve an end result of better audio?
Old 03-12-2019, 11:23 PM

Received 102 Likes on 77 Posts
GLC43, X P100D, S P100D, CT200H
Originally Posted by Seahwks
Anyone know if you can retrofit them and replace the terrible Harmon kardon ones? Or know of any other speaker brands that would serve as an upgrade to the base Harmon kardon ones that have zero bass.
The base speakers are H&K??? I coulda sworn they were from Radio Shack.
The following users liked this post:
flatsick (02-04-2020)
Old 03-13-2019, 03:51 AM

Received 87 Likes on 83 Posts
2017 C43 AMG Saloon
Search the forum for Mike5215's thread on upgrading his sounds system. This I think is in the W205 section. He's got a wordpress site that details his exploits...
Old 03-15-2019, 12:36 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C43
So just a quick clarification. Both the Harmon Kardon and the Burmester options provided on these cars are only designed by them. The actual speakers, amps, etc. are not Harmon Kardon or Burmester. They are cheap solutions likely from the lowest bidder in China that could meet the specs that HK and Burmester provided. If you plan on changing out the speakers do yourself a favor and go aftermarket. You will get much better audio than if you tried to just retrofit the Burmester design. However, this will likely cost more as you may have to get some custom fittings for different components.
Old 03-18-2019, 11:46 AM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
2017 AMG C43, AWE Touring, BMC Air Filters- 2015 BMW X3 3.5i (JB1 Equipped)
Originally Posted by ZeroGuardian
So just a quick clarification. Both the Harmon Kardon and the Burmester options provided on these cars are only designed by them. The actual speakers, amps, etc. are not Harmon Kardon or Burmester. They are cheap solutions likely from the lowest bidder in China that could meet the specs that HK and Burmester provided. If you plan on changing out the speakers do yourself a favor and go aftermarket. You will get much better audio than if you tried to just retrofit the Burmester design. However, this will likely cost more as you may have to get some custom fittings for different components.
No that is incorrect, on a lengthy upgrade article that some guy did a few years back, he visually compared the speakers once removed and they were made by HK, not an upgraded HK just regular HK speakers.

Don't ever get it twisted the Harmon Group, JBL HK etc makes some of the best speakers and audio components on the planet- JBL does the speakers for recording studios, soo....

I dropped in focal 4" components all around and upgraded my 6" in the front footwells. I have the upgraded stereo system which was an $850 option, you get something like 10 speakers and a 500 what amp.

For what its worth, I am an audiophile and car stereo enthusiast and my upgraded Burmeister was one of the best sounding stock systems I have heard, so much so that is took me 2yrs to swap out the amp and speakers, this was not just my opinion, everyone who rode in my car and listened to it agreed and they were all music enthusiasts.

Why would MB put cheap Chinese crap in the car when Harmon would be willing to match the price point that MB wanted? Makes no sense to me and further why compromise your luxury name by using Sh*t Chinese stereo equipment.

Last edited by Lazz83; 03-18-2019 at 11:51 AM.