Sponsored by:

Looking to STOP 2019 c43 popping & crackling

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-25-2019, 07:14 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
C43 lol
Originally Posted by superswiss
Mr AMG always goes through the different modes in his videos and there doesn't seem to be any overrun pops and bangs in Comfort, especially with the exhaust closed, however EU cars now have the particulate filter. Does yours sound different from this? Starting at about 22:13 he demonstrates Comfort mode. It's always been my experience that AMGs quiet down in Comfort mode and with the exhaust closed. Now the upshift farts are a consequence of the ECU cutting the ignition in order to drop the revs fast and for the engine to keep up with the transmission. That's not artificial per se. These transmissions nowadays shift faster than the revs would drop naturally. I haven't driven the C43, but the C63 definitely doesn't pop and bang in anything other than Sport+ and Race. It seems AMG has actually toned it down a bit with the 2019 and some are complaining that it doesn't bang and pop enough anymore. I definitely understand where you are coming from, though. I'm not a particular fan of the artificial bangs and pops. I was actually pleased with how the 2019 C63S sounded when I test drove it the other day.

https://youtu.be/spExrpW_F1o?t=1333
He doesn't really drive it with verve in Comfort mode though (and leaves it in Drive) so not possible to day whether it sound different than mine. Yes, the upshift farts are present in any mode at at more than (I'm guessing) 1/3 throttle openings.
Old 03-25-2019, 07:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,673 Likes on 2,453 Posts
2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by gcurnew
He doesn't really drive it with verve in Comfort mode though (and leaves it in Drive) so not possible to day whether it sound different than mine. Yes, the upshift farts are present in any mode at at more than (I'm guessing) 1/3 throttle openings.
Ok, that's a little different then. The thing is these modern cars adapt to your driving style. The overall drive mode just sort of sets the baseline and mood for the car, but for it to be quiet and actually comfortable in Comfort mode, you have to drive it accordingly. If you start hooning around, the car detects your spirited driving style and adjusts. I'm new to AMG, but this is something that's common in the modern age of adjustable driving dynamics/experience. It's not just the mode that determines things, but also how you drive. If you start revving it and drive spirited the mapping and everything will adjust in response to it. For example in my current 2013 Audi RS5 the exhaust valves open up at 3800 rpm regardless of the driving mode and it gets louder, plus the throttle mapping and shift behavior etc. adjusts to the driving style. That's pretty normal nowadays. I don't know the specifics yet of how AMGs adjust in response to driver input in the various modes, but I figure that it's fairly similar to other cars.
Old 03-27-2019, 11:13 AM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
C43 AMG
He still refuses to make an Video, so any further help is basically repeating the same Sentences in a different Order.
Old 03-27-2019, 12:10 PM

C43 lol
Originally Posted by Malar
He still refuses to make an Video, so any further help is basically repeating the same Sentences in a different Order.
Who "refuses" to make a video?
Old 03-27-2019, 04:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 283 Likes on 194 Posts
2021 Mercedes C63s AMG Coupe
He meant you. I do not know about refusing but I do agree any further diagnosing before we can see a video is kind of moot.
Old 03-27-2019, 05:30 PM

C43 lol
Originally Posted by munis
He meant you. I do not know about refusing but I do agree any further diagnosing before we can see a video is kind of moot.
lol...I haven't even been in the car since Saturday. I will get a video done (probably on the weekend)...however the ask in my first post was for information on specifically how the crackles/farts are created (programmatically and mechanically), which is critical baseline information. I was 100% clear (for those that read it carefully) that I was looking to eliminate them. Whether a little or a lot of farting in Comfort mode (for accuracy, Moderate Engine mode, which is the default setting in Comfort) is actually of very minor interest to me. I want to use Sport and Sport+ modes with my PE wide open and don't want to hear (if practical) ANY popping and farting.
Old 03-27-2019, 05:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

lol...I haven't even been in the car since Saturday. I will get a video done (probably on the weekend)...however the ask in my first post was for information on specifically how the crackles/farts are created (programmatically and mechanically), which is critical baseline information. I was 100% clear (for those that read it carefully) that I was looking to eliminate them. Whether a little or a lot of farting in Comfort mode (for accuracy, Moderate Engine mode, which is the default setting in Comfort) is actually of very minor interest to me. I want to use Sport and Sport+ modes with my PE wide open and don't want to hear (if practical) ANY popping and farting.
The crackling, bang, pops in sport and sports+ are all due to the map the ECU has for sport and sports+ mode and cannot be eliminated without a complete reprogram of the ECU ( Mercedes would not do it for you, so it has to be a tuner). It is a fuelling characteristic and is further enhanced by the position of the valves in the performance exhaust. If you get these pops in comfort, eco or slipery mode, then that is a problem with your car and needs further diagnosing on your part and the dealership.
Old 03-27-2019, 05:41 PM

C43 lol
Originally Posted by munis
The crackling, bang, pops in sport and sports+ are all due to the map the ECU has for sport and sports+ mode and cannot be eliminated without a complete reprogram of the ECU ( Mercedes would not do it for you, so it has to be a tuner). It is a fuelling characteristic and is further enhanced by the position of the valves in the performance exhaust. If you get these pops in comfort, eco or slipery mode, then that is a problem with your car and needs further diagnosing on your part and the dealership.
Yep. Thanks. If no pops is "normal" in Comfort mode (would never use eco/slippery in day-to-day situations) and mine is "abnormal" then I'll take steps to get it addressed, as that would at least make the car more usable as a grocery getter. I'll do a video and see what the consensus here is. Pops/bangs in Sport and Sport+ are another matter, and I expect a tune is the only solution.
Old 03-27-2019, 05:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,673 Likes on 2,453 Posts
2019 C63CS
They are generated by delayed fuel cut off and retardation of ignition timing that causes combustion to continue as the exhaust valves (cylinder) are opening. On turbo engines this actually has the benefit of keeping an exhaust stream going during deceleration that keeps the turbo(s) spooling. To stop them, the ECU maps have to be changed, but it will also have a slight negative impact on performance as the turbos will spool down earlier. Here's a pretty good explanation from an outfit that adds pop&bangs to cars that don't have them from the factory.

http://www.xcedeperformance.co.za/20...ngs-explained/
The following users liked this post:
gcurnew (03-27-2019)
Old 03-27-2019, 05:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

[QUOTE=gcurnew;7716959]Yep. Thanks. If no pops is "normal" in Comfort mode (would never use eco/slippery in day-to-day situations) and mine is "abnormal" then I'll take steps to get it addressed, as that would at least make the car more usable as a grocery getter. I'll do a video and see what the consensus here is. Pops/bangs in Sport and Sport+ are another matter, and I expect a tune is the only solution.[/QUOTE

That is correct. ]
Old 03-27-2019, 09:35 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
N/A
I have a 2019 C43 coupe with PE. I bought the car knowing that it farted and popped, but expected that with the different drive modes and leaving PE mostly turned off (I purchased the option package that included PE to get the steering wheel) the annoying noises could be minimized. Turns out that's not the case. In every mode (excluding Slippery - which as a Canadian kid who grew up driving sports cars in the days before any form of traction control I can't imagine ever needing) the car farts and pops when driven even remotely aggressively.

I'm not looking to discuss or debate the merits of the popping and farting in this thread, as I know the majority of people with AMGs love it. I'm looking to 1) figure out what combination of engine mapping and mechanical components are responsible for the noises, and 2) figuring out a way to eliminate them. From my perspective (and I suspect at least a small subset of other C43 and other AMG owners) the car would be much more enjoyable if it didn't make the annoying brap on upshifts at anything more than fractional throttle openings, and didn't fart/pop/gurgle in any mode, at any time.

For background, I am aware at a high level how fuel over-run works, and that it is mostly - if not entirely - an engine mapping function. I have looked at the major tuner sites, and so far as I can see no-one offers a tune that eliminates the burbles/cracks/farts, but some purport to offer maps that will introduce it in vehicles that don't have factory maps that produce the noises. Frankly, I'm more than a little suspect of most tuners' products, and making cars quieter isn't their game so not sure how helpful they might be. That said, I would love to be pleasantly surprised by a reputable tuner stepping up and offering a solution.

I'd appreciate any pointers from owners or vendors/tuner with REAL knowledge of how the 2019 C43 farting is accomplished, as it would provide a baseline understanding for how to go about undoing it. A logical starting point if there was something wrong with the car would be the dealer, but in this situation I'm 99% confident no dealer would help me modify the car from the factory setup, nor would any official Mercedes Benz resource be of any help.

Please, don't hijack this thread with comments about why you like it, or arguments about why I should learn to love it. By whatever means necessary, I'll find a way to stop the farting as for me it seriously undermines the enjoyment of an otherwise fine performance vehicle.
This probably won't help you as I have a 17 sedan and don't understand how anyone can get similar "farting" in anything other than S or S+. I certainly don't.
Old 03-29-2019, 05:49 AM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
C43 AMG
I feel sorry for People that were forced to buy a Car without the chance of testdriving it.
But i'm sure you'll enjoy getting your Head pushed around and the Car jumping everytime it shifts in Sport+ without being allowed to decrease Engine RPM with retardation.

Atleast thats what would need to be done to get rid of bangs completely.
You may test how this will feel with any Manual Car. Just shift as fast as you can and then let the Clutch rip. Goodluck with the Headache
Old 04-05-2019, 06:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
C43
😳
Old 04-08-2019, 07:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C43
Sorry, but I have to say that this is a ridiculous thread. Why the heck would you buy/lease this car if you didn’t want the sound? On top of that you got the AMG performance exhaust option. Were you given the car as a gift? Lol

Also, as others have mentioned, you will NOT get pops or crackles in comfort mode. At least on my 2017 model, I have never experienced this in comfort mode.
Until you show us video proof of what you’re claiming I’m calling BS.

Have a nice day.
The following users liked this post:
3.Pointed.Czar (04-08-2019)
Old 04-08-2019, 07:36 AM

C43
Don’t act dumb. Make me look stupid and post video proof.
Old 04-08-2019, 09:27 AM

C43 lol
Originally Posted by C43LosAngeles
Sorry, but I have to say that this is a ridiculous thread. Why the heck would you buy/lease this car if you didn’t want the sound? On top of that you got the AMG performance exhaust option. Were you given the car as a gift? Lol

Also, as others have mentioned, you will NOT get pops or crackles in comfort mode. At least on my 2017 model, I have never experienced this in comfort mode.
Until you show us video proof of what you’re claiming I’m calling BS.

Have a nice day.
"Ignore."

Last edited by gcurnew; 04-08-2019 at 11:17 AM.
Old 04-08-2019, 12:37 PM

C43
Hahaha. P***y. There you have it guys.
Old 04-08-2019, 01:13 PM

Received 126 Likes on 95 Posts
2018 C43 sedan
Have you tried running in sport plus with the exhaust shut?
Old 04-08-2019, 01:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by HTXgearhead
Have you tried running in sport plus with the exhaust shut?

Any suggestion without him showing proof of his problem is us wasting our time. Let him take care of it. Car is still under warranty.
Old 04-08-2019, 02:19 PM

C43 lol
lol. Yes...this thread has become a waste of time. Thanks to those couple of folks that read and responded to my original request with actual information about the system.
Old 04-08-2019, 09:01 PM

C43
lol. Yes...this thread has become a waste of time. Thanks to those couple of folks that read and responded to my original request with actual information about the system.
good call. Btw I just noticed you said fart in your first post 7 times.
Old 11-20-2019, 09:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 190 Likes on 135 Posts
C190
So, in the end, was there any solution to getting rid of the upshift farts on 2019 models?

My car does it in Comfort mode and am looking to get rid of the sound. The overall exhaust sound is good, except the upshift sound bothers me.

It was observed in another thread that when the C43 is launched hard and close to perfectly, there are no upshift farts at all. This leads me to think that getting rid of the noise is possible, and perhaps even ideal for performance.

In some of the replies above, Eurocharged mentions they can tune it out. However, in my own correspondence with them, they say they cannot change the sound of the upshifts.

In the other thread where the OP wants to get his pops and crackles back, I was berated when I mentioned I wanted to get rid of exhaust noises and advised to keep to the topic of how to get back noise. So likewise, since this thread is about getting rid of the exhaust noises, in the same spirit I hope that this thread is given the same respect and constructive information is shared about how to get rid of noise rather than getting back noise.
Old 11-20-2019, 09:25 AM

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts
C43 AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by TModelle
So, in the end, was there any solution to getting rid of the upshift farts on 2019 models?

My car does it in Comfort mode and am looking to get rid of the sound. The overall exhaust sound is good, except the upshift sound bothers me.

It was observed in another thread that when the C43 is launched hard and close to perfectly, there are no upshift farts at all. This leads me to think that getting rid of the noise is possible, and perhaps even ideal for performance.

In some of the replies above, Eurocharged mentions they can tune it out. However, in my own correspondence with them, they say they cannot change the sound of the upshifts.

In the other thread where the OP wants to get his pops and crackles back, I was berated when I mentioned I wanted to get rid of exhaust noises and advised to keep to the topic of how to get back noise. So likewise, since this thread is about getting rid of the exhaust noises, in the same spirit I hope that this thread is given the same respect and constructive information is shared about how to get rid of noise rather than getting back noise.
Eurocharged can definitely get rid of them, they unintentionally got rid of mine when I asked for a burble tune.
Old 11-20-2019, 09:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 190 Likes on 135 Posts
C190
Originally Posted by ShakyTom
Eurocharged can definitely get rid of them, they unintentionally got rid of mine when I asked for a burble tune.
I emailed them and specifically asked about it but they said they couldn't. Maybe they can't exactly control the outcome?
Old 11-20-2019, 10:36 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2019 AMG C43
yes. Return to dealer. I have a 2019 C43 with PE. Comfort mode ...from a sound perspective...is virtually the same as it was in my wife's 2015 C300. Very quite.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Looking to STOP 2019 c43 popping & crackling