What to do if...?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-09-2019, 02:53 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
2019 C43 Sedan
Question What to do if...?

Hello,

My car did not have a spare in the trunk. (19's)

What would should I do if I get a flat on the highway or somewhere? Will MB roadside bring a spare? Any experiences? I want to be ready! I live in NYC (bad roads).

Thank you for your help!
Old 05-09-2019, 03:25 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Autumn
Congrats on the car, as a fellow New Yorker I know your struggles. The cars come equipped with Run Flats, which personally suck for our streets. Ride comfort is trash with the RF, and they blow like crazy with our potholes. If you have MB roadside which you should, you can call and they will
-tow your car to a dealer or local shop of your choice.
-if you have low air roadside will fill the air for you.
-Change to your spare if you have your own spare.

They won't bring you a spare tire, but you can always purchase one and keep it in your car. I personally took off my Run Flats, and put non run flats with 0 issues so far and a more comfortable ride.
The following users liked this post:
PFEAMG (05-09-2019)
Old 05-09-2019, 04:05 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
'19 C43 AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by S500Sport
Hello,

My car did not have a spare in the trunk. (19's)

What would should I do if I get a flat on the highway or somewhere? Will MB roadside bring a spare? Any experiences? I want to be ready! I live in NYC (bad roads).

Thank you for your help!
Or you could just do what this dude did...he took “run flat” to a whole other level lol!

https://jalopnik.com/philadelphia-dr...ium=socialflow
Old 05-09-2019, 08:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 274 Likes on 204 Posts
'19 CLS450
Get an AC air compressor and a bottle of slime and store where the spare should be
Old 05-14-2019, 10:03 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
C43 Sedan soon
Originally Posted by lalu713
Congrats on the car, as a fellow New Yorker I know your struggles. The cars come equipped with Run Flats, which personally suck for our streets. Ride comfort is trash with the RF, and they blow like crazy with our potholes. If you have MB roadside which you should, you can call and they will

They won't bring you a spare tire, but you can always purchase one and keep it in your car. I personally took off my Run Flats, and put non run flats with 0 issues so far and a more comfortable ride.
What tire did you go with? I'm on the Island so I can relate to the NY roads. I'm actually thinking about going with an 18 inch setup for more sidewall and storing the 19's

Thanks
Old 05-15-2019, 02:50 PM

Received 381 Likes on 244 Posts
For a real C43 Sedan non-runflat flat-tire experience/remedy, see https://mbworld.org/forums/c450-c43-...ml#post7322809
Old 05-15-2019, 03:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,836 Likes on 2,563 Posts
2019 C63CS
As said with the RF tires, this is not really something you have to worry about, but if you do swap them out for non-RF tires, then you can get the TIREFIT kit from the C63. It contains a compressor and tire sealant bottle. I haven't had a spare tire for the last 6 years, and it hasn't been a problem at all. Over my 20 years of driving, I used a spare tire exactly twice. The rest of the time it was dead weight. I also carry a mushroom plug kit in the trunk. I'm not a fan of the tire sealant goo, so if I do find myself in an area w/o cell coverage and unable to call roadside assistance, I would plug the tire. Haven't had to use it yet. I regularly have punctured tires, but I've only had a completely flat tire twice. All other times I eventually saw the puncture at home, removed the wheel and took it in my wife's car to my indy shop to get it fixed.

Last edited by superswiss; 05-15-2019 at 03:28 PM.
Old 05-17-2019, 08:37 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Autumn
Originally Posted by 14Shelby
What tire did you go with? I'm on the Island so I can relate to the NY roads. I'm actually thinking about going with an 18 inch setup for more sidewall and storing the 19's

Thanks
Hey,

I have the 18 inch set up (5 spoke amg wheels) I want the 19inch multispokes SOO badly but with the roads we have out here, I just can't justify doing it. I'm running the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3, I always buy my tires from DiscountTires with their warranty its a couple of bucks per tire, and if anything happens to the tire they next day a new one to me. Luckily, no issues with these tires, but on my other car the cross bronx has taken 3 tires so far, and they have always sent me a new one and I just go to my friends shop, and get them replaced for no charge.
Old 05-17-2019, 09:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2018 C43 AMG, Previous 2016 E550 Coupe, Previous 2012 E550 Coupe
Originally Posted by lalu713

I'm in Toronto and my next door neighbor and I both have C43 AMG's - he hit a pothole and and destroyed his passenger RF - called MB Roadside and they would only tow him to the nearest MB dealer. He had the tire replaced at the dealer. Not his choice, otherwise have it towed again elsewhere for a new tire.

I use non run flat winter tires and called MB Canada Customer Service the next day to verify their flat bed towing policy - they confirmed - tow to nearest MB dealer only.
I'm replacing the Summer RF's with Michelin Pilot A/S and they include 3 year no charge flat bed towing as part of the purchase. Towed to the Michelin dealer of your choice within 250 KM.
The following 2 users liked this post by FreeSpeaker:
Silverbird (05-18-2019), thraxx (05-18-2019)
Old 05-18-2019, 07:47 PM

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
2019 C43 Wagon
FreeSpeaker,

Thanks for the tip that Michelin provides roadside for flats for 3 years. I hadn't realised that, will copy my invoice and save the number soon.
I just picked up my '19 C43 and swapped out the tires for Pilot Sport AS3+'s.
Everything is still breaking in (up to about 800 km so far) hit some train tracks a lot harder than I would have liked to and no issues so far.
Old 05-18-2019, 11:09 PM

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts
2023 AMG EQE 53
The 19s are low profile and when they hit something like a pothole the wheel usually cuts the sidewall so a sealant or plug us useless, that's where the run-flats cones in, just keep driving. The OEM tires have no warranty. Had the dealer just replace one and the replacement, same exact tire, came with a one year road hazard warranty. Not happy spending $450 but it only took 2 hours including a wash at the dealer. The costt of driving any high performance car like an AMG. Yes, the 18s are less suseptible to this sidewall damage but sure don't look as good.