C450/C43 AMG
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Faint whirring noise at cruising speed, off boost ('18 C43)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-12-2019, 11:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts
'20 GLC300 SUV
Faint whirring noise at cruising speed, off boost ('18 C43)

My C43 only has 3k miles. Have had the car for a little under a year. Just took it in for the first oil change. Everything went smoothly.

Since the car has been back, during these past few days, I've noticed a very faint, high-pitched "whirring" noise while driving. I don't really hear it at all when accelerating, and the noise lingers when cruising at 40-50 mph, even when I momentarily let off the throttle. I know it's not the turbos given those conditions.

It's very faint, but I can still hear it over talk radio, even when I have the volume turned down.

Although it's not really present at low speeds or when accelerating, when pulling into my neighborhood tonight, I thought I heard it get considerably louder when making a 90-degree turn and gently accelerating to 10-15 mph.

I'm going to call my SA in the AM, but I've had this car in to have so many problems fixed, I'm not keen on going back. And if I do go back, I want to try to have a general handle on possible causes so my car suffers the least amount of investigative carnage.

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-13-2019, 01:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 283 Likes on 194 Posts
2021 Mercedes C63s AMG Coupe
To be honest this car has been making a plethora of noises ever since it came into production. So very hard to distinguish the noise you are talking about. I have never heard of something you are describing. You have to take it to the dealer and start on a resolution. If you have not modified the car, feel free to take it to the dealer no matter how many times you have bothered them before.
Old 05-13-2019, 01:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'20 GLC300 SUV
Originally Posted by munis
To be honest this car has been making a plethora of noises ever since it came into production. So very hard to distinguish the noise you are talking about. I have never heard of something you are describing. You have to take it to the dealer and start on a resolution. If you have not modified the car, feel free to take it to the dealer no matter how many times you have bothered them before.
It’s bone stock. Taking it in tomorrow.

Thanks for the reply. Normally I know exactly what is wrong with the car and I just have to rely on the dealer to perform the warranty work.

Taking it in for unknown reasons terrifies me. That’s when things start getting ripped apart and the car’s never quite the same again. It’s already had a few major surgeries.
Old 05-13-2019, 07:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'20 GLC300 SUV
Here’s a clip of the noise.

About halfway through the video, I downshift and you can hear the high-pitched, resonant whirring sound.

Old 05-13-2019, 09:11 PM

Received 136 Likes on 119 Posts
2018 C43
There is a thread about this few down. I got my differential changed and sounded a tad less now. Waiting on drive shaft propeller. Is what the shop foreman wanted to do. After the differential, i can bare the less noise, before it was happening at every 80kms or 50mph and was driving me mad.

My car have 6500kms now.
Old 05-13-2019, 10:38 PM

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
2017 C43 Sedan
I too had the same symptoms and noise at the speeds you describe. They swapped out my differential twice and the noise is gone. My dealer put the car on the hoist and in dyno mode ran the car and the squeal was magnified by 10 times when the car didn’t have load on it. Hope this helps.
Old 05-14-2019, 02:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'20 GLC300 SUV
Many thanks for the replies guys.

I'm glad the video was helpful, and I'll check out the thread.