Sponsored by:

2019 C43 JB4 performance

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-16-2019, 11:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 676 Likes on 533 Posts
c
pretty sure the 19 has bigger turbos - no wonder standard maps are not dong much - if anything

power delivery is completely different in the facelift - blow off noise - and many sources indicate such. Dyno charts also show the power delivery being different.
Old 06-16-2019, 11:21 AM

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
19 C43 Coupe, XC 60
Originally Posted by alexasa
pretty sure the 19 has bigger turbos - no wonder standard maps are not dong much - if anything

power delivery is completely different in the facelift - blow off noise - and many sources indicate such. Dyno charts also show the power delivery being different.
Even mentioning that can start a crazy debate...Hahaha
Old 06-16-2019, 12:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C43 2019
I just got an reply email from Terry,

He told me that current firmware is compatible with the 19s.
Old 06-16-2019, 04:11 PM

19 C43 Coupe, XC 60
Originally Posted by Josephph
I just got an reply email from Terry,

He told me that current firmware is compatible with the 19s.
It may be compatible but it is not optimized. There is not a single 19, that I am aware of, that is meeting the numbers the the PFLs are. I am going to email Payam tomorrow and Terry to see what's up. Check out the What's App group. Opens the eyes!
Old 06-17-2019, 12:21 AM
BMS
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 152 Likes on 109 Posts
2018 C63 Sedan
For 2019 models we've added the BCM which gives us a lot more control over boost targeting. Since they seem to run a little less boost from the factory this will help us get them over the top. It's on our site.

https://www.n54tech.com/forums/showp...&postcount=769
Old 06-17-2019, 12:33 AM
BMS
Former Vendor of MBWorld

2018 C63 Sedan
Originally Posted by MarcusDubya77
Purchased my BCM, and cant wait to try it.
Just posted the directions here!

https://www.n54tech.com/forums/showp...19&postcount=3
Old 06-17-2019, 12:34 AM
BMS
Former Vendor of MBWorld

2018 C63 Sedan
The BMS crew is supposed to be working on a firmware update for the 19s. More to follow. On another note, BMS has released a Wastegate Control Module for the C43s. Link below.

https://burgertuning.com/products/op...control-module
The BCM is the solution for the 2019s needing more boost. V4 firmware has been posted which adds BCM support.
Old 06-17-2019, 01:51 AM

19 C43 Coupe, XC 60
Originally Posted by BMS
The BCM is the solution for the 2019s needing more boost. V4 firmware has been posted which adds BCM support.
So, there are no other parameters that need to be updated from the firmware. Ok, well I will report back. My BCM is en route.
Old 06-17-2019, 11:41 AM

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
'19 C43
Originally Posted by BMS
For 2019 models we've added the BCM which gives us a lot more control over boost targeting. Since they seem to run a little less boost from the factory this will help us get them over the top. It's on our site.

https://www.n54tech.com/forums/showp...&postcount=769

Uhhhh, the 2019s are NOT running less boost from the factory....they're running more.
The following users liked this post:
munis (06-17-2019)
Old 06-17-2019, 12:11 PM
BMS
Former Vendor of MBWorld

2018 C63 Sedan
So, there are no other parameters that need to be updated from the firmware. Ok, well I will report back. My BCM is en route.
Checkout the install directions here: https://www.n54tech.com/forums/showp...19&postcount=3
Old 06-17-2019, 03:38 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
2019 C43 AMG
Originally Posted by GuardianVA
Uhhhh, the 2019s are NOT running less boost from the factory....they're running more.
Originally Posted by BMS
Checkout the install directions here: https://www.n54tech.com/forums/showp...19&postcount=3
Can we get some more clarification on this BMS? Not sure I want to shell out another $200 for something that could possibly be fixed with just a firmware update instead of pulling and plugging pins.
Old 06-17-2019, 03:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c
i have no faith in BMS - they constantly say whack *** shiite
Old 06-17-2019, 03:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c
Even mentioning that can start a crazy debate...Hahaha
Yeah evidence just suggesting other wise - i remember this thread. power curves are way different. Mr. AMG cites different turbos. Tunes aren't carrying over and performing correctly.. not to mention way different turbo noise and blow off sounds. Power feels linear as the chart suggest - whereas the pre-facelift felt insanely torquey down low. i could easily put too much steering angle and mash the throttle to lose the tail end on the pre-facelift

https://mbworld.org/forums/c450-c43-...g-results.html

Last edited by alexasa; 06-17-2019 at 03:59 PM.
Old 06-17-2019, 05:28 PM

'19 C43
As I mentioned in an earlier reply in this thread, I still believe the lack of significant change in performance in the pulls on the 2019 is due to the large throttle closures in the lower gears of the runs. It's clearly visible in the logs, and in at least one of the instances, it's plainly visible that there is a boost spike, and low-and-behold, a large throttle closure that corresponds to it. That's what the car is supposed to do when boost exceeds target. The power is there, that's plain to see with the higher trap speeds seen on the dragy, but the 1/4 miles times are similar or barely better than stock because of the throttle closures.

Electronic wastegates (like what's on these cars) tend to have a limited range of indirect adjustment (like across the canbus or through changes to other sensor inputs), before the chances of seeing oscillations and spikes of actual boost above target boost increase. That range is usually ~10-15% above stock boost. The higher stock boost levels on the 2019s probably magnify this limitation, because 10-15% of 16 psi is larger than with 12 psi. The boost control module add-on is giving them direct control over pid and wgdc and should keep actual boost much more in line with the target, and those big throttle closures should largely be a non-issue after that. I don't know if firmware will actually resolve it, I don't know how much I/O capacity is available on the JB4 board used with this car. However, even a firmware fix may not address the overboosting, as there are still limitations on the amount of finite control you get using indirect methods to control pid and pwm. The boost control module may be the only way on the 2019.
Old 06-17-2019, 10:29 PM
BMS
Former Vendor of MBWorld

2018 C63 Sedan
As I mentioned in an earlier reply in this thread, I still believe the lack of significant change in performance in the pulls on the 2019 is due to the large throttle closures in the lower gears of the runs. It's clearly visible in the logs, and in at least one of the instances, it's plainly visible that there is a boost spike, and low-and-behold, a large throttle closure that corresponds to it. That's what the car is supposed to do when boost exceeds target. The power is there, that's plain to see with the higher trap speeds seen on the dragy, but the 1/4 miles times are similar or barely better than stock because of the throttle closures.

Electronic wastegates (like what's on these cars) tend to have a limited range of indirect adjustment (like across the canbus or through changes to other sensor inputs), before the chances of seeing oscillations and spikes of actual boost above target boost increase. That range is usually ~10-15% above stock boost. The higher stock boost levels on the 2019s probably magnify this limitation, because 10-15% of 16 psi is larger than with 12 psi. The boost control module add-on is giving them direct control over pid and wgdc and should keep actual boost much more in line with the target, and those big throttle closures should largely be a non-issue after that. I don't know if firmware will actually resolve it, I don't know how much I/O capacity is available on the JB4 board used with this car. However, even a firmware fix may not address the overboosting, as there are still limitations on the amount of finite control you get using indirect methods to control pid and pwm. The boost control module may be the only way on the 2019.
Our development C43 have pneumatic wastegates. Are you saying your 2019 does not have the solenoid next to the passenger intake/coolant tank?

-Payam
Old 06-17-2019, 10:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C43 2019

Hence, we have to pay extra 200 for 2019s?
Old 06-18-2019, 12:17 AM
BMS
Former Vendor of MBWorld

2018 C63 Sedan

I haven't seen any indications 2019s are over boosting and to the contrary they appear to be under targeting. Let's see the log you're referring to. The JB4 records boost before and after the throttle. If throttle closure is causing a performance drop you'll see a huge boost drop in the manifold, to go along with a corresponding spike in boost before the throttle body, proportional to the closure.
Old 06-18-2019, 12:20 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
2019 C43 AMG
Originally Posted by BMS
I haven't seen any indications 2019s are over boosting and to the contrary they appear to be under targeting. Let's see the log you're referring to. The JB4 records boost before and after the throttle. If throttle closure is causing a performance drop you'll see a huge boost drop in the manifold, to go along with a corresponding spike in boost before the throttle body, proportional to the closure.
I will try and get some logs in a day or two on my 2019. Any specific map you care to see? I run 4 gallons of e85 and 93 octane for the rest.
Old 06-18-2019, 10:13 AM

'19 C43
Originally Posted by BMS
I mean, here it is plain as day in post #7 of this very thread. Third closure is very small, but the boost drop is there. This was on map 1 according to the OP.

Old 06-18-2019, 10:36 AM

'19 C43
Here's the OP map 2 Run. The boost spikes before the shift, and the throttle is already starting to close before the shift.

Old 06-18-2019, 12:53 PM

Received 133 Likes on 112 Posts
2018 C43 AMG Brilliant Blue Metallic
How are the boost spikes effecting the performance of the 2019s?
Old 06-18-2019, 02:02 PM

'19 C43
Originally Posted by Dieseldan9
If they are making the throttle close too much or for too long, then the turbo is losing flow across the turbine and sees decreased VE.
Old 06-18-2019, 10:55 PM
BMS
Former Vendor of MBWorld

2018 C63 Sedan
I mean, here it is plain as day in post #7 of this very thread. Third closure is very small, but the boost drop is there. This was on map 1 according to the OP.
I need the CSV itself as not all relevant fields are plotted in your chart.

In this specific example (CSV on the first page somewhere) throttle is closing during engine deceleration post shift, but the throttle is oversized and would have to close dramatically before it would effect manifold boost (e.g. actual performance). No such change to manifold boost is seen in this log. So this is normal behavior here. If you hacked in to the flash map and bypassed the throttle follower forcing zero throttle closure you'd get ZERO performance gain. With this specific example.

If you have other example I'm happy to look at them. Devil is always in the details.

Last edited by BMS; 06-18-2019 at 11:00 PM.
Old 06-18-2019, 11:01 PM
BMS
Former Vendor of MBWorld

2018 C63 Sedan
Originally Posted by Dieseldan9
They aren't. The problem I've seen on 2019s is less of a boost gain due to limitations in the factory WGDC programming. The JB4 provides a lot of tuning tools and data. But like anything the data is only as good as the analysis and a lot of non-tuners are trying to analyze the logs and barking up the wrong trees on making their cars faster, IMHO.
Old 06-18-2019, 11:41 PM

'19 C43
Originally Posted by BMS
They aren't. The problem I've seen on 2019s is less of a boost gain due to limitations in the factory WGDC programming. The JB4 provides a lot of tuning tools and data. But like anything the data is only as good as the analysis and a lot of non-tuners are trying to analyze the logs and barking up the wrong trees on making their cars faster, IMHO.
Cute backhanded response, but I know how to read the logs just fine. I'm sure the OP is still wondering why he's not seeing better dragy performance with his investment....as are others.
The following users liked this post:
robnyc (11-09-2019)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2019 C43 JB4 performance