Sponsored by:

My first, and hopefully last, major repair

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-16-2019, 05:29 PM

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
C450 AMG
My first, and hopefully last, major repair

bout a month ago I was driving to work (C450 with 40k miles) and heard a sort of pop sound and immediately lost some power and the car started idling roughly. Sounded like misfiring. Towed it to the dealer.

Upon their initial diagnosis, they told me that too much oil was put in during the last oil change and that probably caused some fuel to leak into the engine.. wtf.. (I took it to a very reputable shop that only works on high end European cars). They also were making a fit that the oil was not on MB 'approved oil list' even though the oil used meets and exceeds MB's standards.

So basically they were making a scene of it just because I didn't use MB oil. They initially told me they 'pulled some strings' and MB warranty would cover it but I would have to pay for a new oil change and the diagnosis cost totaling around $800. Seroiusly? BS...

I finally picked it back up a few days ago and didn't pay a dime; MB paid the tab on all of it - as they should have.

And here is a summary of what they came back with:

The found fault code #P030600 (Combustion misfiring of cylinder 6 has been detected.)
Performed engine compression test and found cylinder 6 to have 0 compression and all others had 190 psi.
Performed cylinder leak test of cylinder 6 and found 100% leakage into the intake manifold. Performed inspection of cylinder and found one intake valve stuck open.
During removal of cylinder 6 injector, found stress cracks on injector tabs and found intake valve to have a collapsed valve spring.
Replaced spring and injector and re-performed compression test on cylinder 6 and had 191 psi and no fault codes.
The following work was recommended but not performed - Drain and measure oil level.

And they bicthed about the oil up front when it had absolutely nothing to do with the issue and they didn't even do an oil change! So yea.. I was in a loaner for about a month.
Old 05-16-2019, 05:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 283 Likes on 194 Posts
2021 Mercedes C63s AMG Coupe
I can't believe a high compression engine as this does not have any valve interference with the piston. I was expecting the intake valve to be toast.