Sponsored by:

Squeaky wheels

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-25-2019, 12:44 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
C43 Coupe
Squeaky wheels

2017 C43 Coupe. About 25000km. Haven't had brake fluid change yet.

I hear both rear wheels squeak at low speeds when brakes are not applied. It starts to have a non-continuous medium volume squeak at high pitch (sounds like metal contact) at about 20 kmh and goes away at 50kmh. The cadence of noise synchronizes with rotation of wheels (i.e. it squeaks at a faster cadence when wheel spins faster). When I decel to the speed range and let go of the brakes, the squeaks can be heard.

I don't think it's from dirty and brake pads.

Any idea?
Old 07-26-2019, 08:15 AM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
2019 AMG C43 Sedan
Could be a brake pad wear indicator. Google "brake pad wear indicator" for videos and compare to the sound you are hearing.
Old 07-26-2019, 11:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 274 Likes on 204 Posts
'19 CLS450
Originally Posted by noah phatt
Could be a brake pad wear indicator. Google "brake pad wear indicator" for videos and compare to the sound you are hearing.
Curious on the logic here? If it was the brake pad indicator, surely the light would be on the dash. As there's only one indicator on the passenger side, it wouldn't explain the comment of the noise coming from both rear. And from my experience, pad wear squeaking typically occurs when braking, not when coasting as OP mentions.

OP - It's surely sounds like some type of metal contact. Could be a warped rotor, debris lodged in an adjacent spot that makes contact when not applying brakes, improperly greased drive component,etc. A trip to your trusted mechanic should be able to diagnose and solve for you.
Old 07-26-2019, 03:10 PM

C43 Coupe
Originally Posted by RichardCranium3
Curious on the logic here? If it was the brake pad indicator, surely the light would be on the dash. As there's only one indicator on the passenger side, it wouldn't explain the comment of the noise coming from both rear. And from my experience, pad wear squeaking typically occurs when braking, not when coasting as OP mentions.

OP - It's surely sounds like some type of metal contact. Could be a warped rotor, debris lodged in an adjacent spot that makes contact when not applying brakes, improperly greased drive component,etc. A trip to your trusted mechanic should be able to diagnose and solve for you.
Will certainly bring it in to check later when I change my brake fluids after 2 years but I was eager to see if someone has had very similar issue.

It's interesting. It used to squeak at the front awhile ago, more pronounced when wheels were turned to the max. I tested at low speed like 10-20kph in a parking lot. Also, it only squeaked when engine warmed up, at least 90 celcius. Nowadays, it squeaks from the rear and doesnt require turning of wheels.
Old 07-26-2019, 07:58 PM

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
2017 C43
Originally Posted by mcschan86
Will certainly bring it in to check later when I change my brake fluids after 2 years but I was eager to see if someone has had very similar issue.

It's interesting. It used to squeak at the front awhile ago, more pronounced when wheels were turned to the max. I tested at low speed like 10-20kph in a parking lot. Also, it only squeaked when engine warmed up, at least 90 celcius. Nowadays, it squeaks from the rear and doesnt require turning of wheels.
I'm having the same issue. I think it's the rear-passenger wheel. I've cleaned it several times by taking it all apart. Still there. Wondering if it's time for a new set of rotors + pads. Got a dial indicator to check the rotors tomorrow.
Old 07-28-2019, 10:00 AM

C43 Coupe
Originally Posted by pcdsl
I'm having the same issue. I think it's the rear-passenger wheel. I've cleaned it several times by taking it all apart. Still there. Wondering if it's time for a new set of rotors + pads. Got a dial indicator to check the rotors tomorrow.
The squeaks is a bit random. Some days, both rear wheels would squeak. Some days the passenger side Yesterday, it was the driver side.

Correction. The noise comes in at 8-20kph rather than what I said earlier. I have more chances of getting the noise after applying brakes to slow down and releasing it at 8-10ish. I also realized that slopes on the road play some role (ie no noise when I'm at a downhill. Noise when uphill and leveled ground)