C450/C43 AMG
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The C43 rolls like a pig during cornering, any solutions?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-26-2019, 05:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 274 Likes on 204 Posts
'19 CLS450
Originally Posted by Darthie
If you dont have run flat tires what does one do about not having a place for a spare?
A/C air compressor and a patch kit or slime bottle.
Old 08-26-2019, 05:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C43 and GTS 2 dr
All valid points. Plus the run flat tires are priced insanely.

Originally Posted by superswiss
Tire mobility kits and/or roadside assistance. Higher level performance cars such as the C63 etc. neither have runflats nor a spare tire. There's often not enough space or a full size spare is impractical due to staggered wheel setups and space savers don't clear the larger brakes and nobody is gonna put up with the downsides of runflats at that level. These cars typically come with an air compressor and a can of tire sealant in the trunk for emergencies. I'm personally not a fan of the tire sealants as they goo up the entire inside of the wheel, so I carry a mushroom plug kit in my trunk, but I've yet to need it. The reality is if you regularly check and adjust your tire pressure and perform a visual inspection of the tire and replace them before they reach their wear limits or are otherwise damaged, the likelihood of a complete flat is very small. Most of the time it's a nail or screw stuck in the tire accompanied by a slow leak and the car can be driven to the next tire place to get it fixed. I've had cars with no spare tires for a while and it's never been an issue.
Old 08-26-2019, 08:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 191 Likes on 135 Posts
C190
Originally Posted by superswiss
I didn't realize you have an estate/wagon. Makes total sense now. That's not the body style to get if handling is important. It's a tall box on wheels. The coupe has the best handling having the lowest roof line, followed by the sedan and then the estate. Coupes generally have a lower roof line and a wider track, both helps with body roll and handling in general. An estate/wagon is great for practicality, but that tall box is not doing handling any favors.
I think those are really just generalisations. If you have real world experience with high performance wagons vs sedans of the same series, you wouldn’t call an estate version just a tall box on wheels. They are the same height and have a better weight distribution. Case in point is the Audi B7 RS4 Avant vs the Sedan. People who buy the Estate version of a high performance vehicle don’t buy it for the added practically, to be honest. 😂 Anyway, seems like everyone is digressing and off topic now. Hopefully we can get more suggestions on how to reduce body roll. It is interesting that there are no aftermarket offerings for sway bars for the C43/C450 at all.
The following users liked this post:
AhEmGee (10-03-2020)
Old 08-26-2019, 09:01 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
'18 Audi A4
Or underbody H, X braces either. You will have to go completely custom on that.
Old 08-26-2019, 11:21 PM

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts
Tuned '18 C43 coupe & Stock '18 GLE43 coupe
Originally Posted by TModelle
In some parts of the world, there is only one dealer and there is no test drive. Most of these cars are bought unsighted. But anyway, off topic. How do I reduce roll? I think only KW V3 might be the solution at this time. I will try lowering it first. I have MSS and KW HAS on the way.
I guess budget is a not a thing for you huh?

Did MSS offer choice of spring rate? I think a higher spring rate in the rear for the Estate may improve the Estate's driving experience. Let me know when u wana get rid of the MSS. I may be interested...

A couple of local Estate owners has custom Hyperco springs and swears by them. They used something much higher spring rate than the H&Rs. I forgot the specs tho...
Old 08-26-2019, 11:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C190
Originally Posted by xX G Xx
I guess budget is a not a thing for you huh?

Did MSS offer choice of spring rate? I think a higher spring rate in the rear for the Estate may improve the Estate's driving experience. Let me know when u wana get rid of the MSS. I may be interested...

A couple of local Estate owners has custom Hyperco springs and swears by them. They used something much higher spring rate than the H&Rs. I forgot the specs tho...
Swapping out suspension and trying different brands is only a small value in proportion to the purchase price of the car, so I don’t really have a concern about it.
Old 08-27-2019, 07:36 PM

Received 184 Likes on 74 Posts
2016 Mercedes C450AMG sedan
Swapping out suspension and trying different brands is only a small value in proportion to the purchase price of the car, so I don’t really have a concern about it.
When I went with the H&R sports on my C450amg sedan made a noticeable difference on the body roll.
Drop in lower center of gravity as well as a slight change in camber. Start small then work big try lowering first.
Definitely agree with TModelles post. With past cars, adding in sway and strut bars really stiffens up the ride and improves body roll. Wished some were available too for the 450.
Old 08-27-2019, 09:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C190
Originally Posted by Hrd_workin
When I went with the H&R sports on my C450amg sedan made a noticeable difference on the body roll.
Drop in lower center of gravity as well as a slight change in camber. Start small then work big try lowering first.
Definitely agree with TModelles post. With past cars, adding in sway and strut bars really stiffens up the ride and improves body roll. Wished some were available too for the 450.
Maybe we we could get them made? I’d be interested in a set.

Anyone on “485” Sport Suspension option on a C300 or C450?
Old 08-27-2019, 09:50 PM

Maybe we we could get them made? I’d be interested in a set.

Anyone on “485” Sport Suspension option on a C300 or C450?
I’m in for a set of sway and strut bars!
Material? Forged titanium, steel, aluminum?
Old 08-27-2019, 10:12 PM

Thought I’d share this link.
All I could find for the C450amg/C43 in regards to reducing body roll.
Front strut bars on ebay.
Mercedes Benz C43 W205 Ultra Racing Front Strut bar 2piece 3.0T 4WD 2016 https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F323772090518

Not sure though if the front (and rear) strut mount locations is the same between the C450 and C43.
Anybody know?
Old 08-28-2019, 01:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,100 Likes on 806 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
All good on the chit-chat-this-that - frankly the Start is to the Extended Mobility tires (what those hear call "run flats)) to "standard" All-Season or High Performance (HP if weather in your area stays over 40F).

If you have 18" you have a good selection of non-MO tires to choose from - if you have 19" then "standard" tire selection is more limited

The design of MO tires is that they have a stiff and unforgiving sidewall and YES in all curves at speed - even swooping gently curves - MO tires will feel like "driving a boat" - with excessive "body roll" because the tire sidewalls only flex up 20%-25% of the height of the sidewall - even thru the electro-mechanical steering you can feel the push back on curves.

Once you switch over - then you can begin your pursuit of suspension improvements.. remember MO/Extended Mobility Tires were developed so car manufacturers could start delivering cars with 4-tires/wheels and not have to have a 5th/tire-wheel.. MO/Extended Mobility Tires were NOT designed for performance...

A little factoid.. Mercedes Brand Immersion Training - which runs two classes a week like 44 weeks a year - AMG there run "standard" high performance tires - MO/Extended Mobility be d*mned..
Old 08-28-2019, 07:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C190
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
All good on the chit-chat-this-that - frankly the Start is to the Extended Mobility tires (what those hear call "run flats)) to "standard" All-Season or High Performance (HP if weather in your area stays over 40F).

If you have 18" you have a good selection of non-MO tires to choose from - if you have 19" then "standard" tire selection is more limited

The design of MO tires is that they have a stiff and unforgiving sidewall and YES in all curves at speed - even swooping gently curves - MO tires will feel like "driving a boat" - with excessive "body roll" because the tire sidewalls only flex up 20%-25% of the height of the sidewall - even thru the electro-mechanical steering you can feel the push back on curves.

Once you switch over - then you can begin your pursuit of suspension improvements.. remember MO/Extended Mobility Tires were developed so car manufacturers could start delivering cars with 4-tires/wheels and not have to have a 5th/tire-wheel.. MO/Extended Mobility Tires were NOT designed for performance...

A little factoid.. Mercedes Brand Immersion Training - which runs two classes a week like 44 weeks a year - AMG there run "standard" high performance tires - MO/Extended Mobility be d*mned..
MO and MOE are not the same.
Old 08-28-2019, 08:12 AM

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
'15 C400 and '15 ML350
Thought I’d share this link.
All I could find for the C450amg/C43 in regards to reducing body roll.
Front strut bars on ebay.
Mercedes Benz C43 W205 Ultra Racing Front Strut bar 2piece 3.0T 4WD 2016 https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F323772090518

Not sure though if the front (and rear) strut mount locations is the same between the C450 and C43.
Anybody know?
xX G Xx posted a link above that carries some stiffening bars (same brand as the ebay link you posted) For the strut tower bars, i thought our car already had an aluminum bar in that location. Assuming this is supposed to be a stiffer solution but i cant see how it could impact body flex enough to notice with that bar swap alone.
Guess somebody has to be the guineay pig and try them and report back if its noticeable or not.
Old 08-28-2019, 08:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 676 Likes on 533 Posts
c
Originally Posted by MatthewJ
xX G Xx posted a link above that carries some stiffening bars (same brand as the ebay link you posted) For the strut tower bars, i thought our car already had an aluminum bar in that location. Assuming this is supposed to be a stiffer solution but i cant see how it could impact body flex enough to notice with that bar swap alone.
Guess somebody has to be the guineay pig and try them and report back if its noticeable or not.
we do.

they also produce other parts that might be more useful though

don't feel that much chassis flex in the sedan honestly. car just has a high center of gravity - just changing the stance and alignment have made really good improvements. Could never be stock now.
Old 08-28-2019, 11:55 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C43 2019
Just installed Ultra racing front struct bar, front brace and rear brace.
Car feels stiffer, handling is much better than before.
Body roll reduced 30%
Love it so far.
Old 08-28-2019, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Josephph
Just installed Ultra racing front struct bar, front brace and rear brace.
Car feels stiffer, handling is much better than before.
Body roll reduced 30%
Love it so far.
Hey that’s great to hear.
Would you mind posting a link?
Appreciate it, thanks and enjoy!
Old 08-28-2019, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by xX G Xx
Most of these guys never been in a C43 Wagon so they don't know what you're talking about. The wagon does ride like a boat~

Ultra Racing has some parts...

http://ultraracing.my/ecatalog/index...3-0t-4wd-2016/

and put that order in for the KW V3's~
Hey buddy, could you repost the link or PM me.
For some reason the link isn’t working (404 error). Looking for the other bracing arms since there is indeed already a front strut bar in place on the C450 don’t really think it’ll make much of a difference like TModelle said.
Sounds like a member just installed some rear ones and the company through eBay hadn’t responded to my messages.
Thanks in advance!
Old 08-28-2019, 02:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 676 Likes on 533 Posts
c
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercedes-Be...75.c100623.m-1

this one looks most useful
The following users liked this post:
Hrd_workin (08-28-2019)
Old 08-28-2019, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by alexasa
Perfect, thanks for posting the link!
Old 08-28-2019, 03:54 PM

Received 131 Likes on 83 Posts
2004 E55 K Wagon &. '96 SL500
Perfect, thanks for posting the link!
I want to fit the f&r lower one on my estate.
Without changing shocks/ springs or fitting ARBs, the strut braces alone WON'T reduce body roll, but will reduce chassis flex.
Body roll is determined the ability of the car to rotate about its longitudinal axis. That's determined by how stiff the suspension is and the presence of ARBs, and the ride height.
Strut braces will stiffen the chassis and reduce flex. This will allow the suspension to control wheel movement more precisely, improve steering response, and maintain the correct camber under load more easily.

Last edited by AhEmGee; 08-28-2019 at 03:57 PM.
Old 08-29-2019, 12:19 AM

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts
Tuned '18 C43 coupe & Stock '18 GLE43 coupe
Here's an Ultra Racing US site: https://ultraracing-usa.com/product/...-benz/c-class/
Old 08-29-2019, 12:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C43
Having driven the car now for about a month, I've found that the C43 rolls at an extreme angle during cornering, hardly the sporty handling I hoped it would be. Are there any aftermarket solutions to this? Uprated sway bars, perhaps?
Don't get a wagon if handling is your biggest concern. There are coupes for that. You sacrifice handling in the wagons, practicality in the coupes. Sedans are a middle ground for the two. I drove both the sedan and the coupe and the handling differences are easily felt. I don't have access to the wagon in the US, but I'd imagine it is even worse than the sedan.
Old 08-29-2019, 05:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C190
Originally Posted by Andrew Holler
Don't get a wagon if handling is your biggest concern. There are coupes for that. You sacrifice handling in the wagons, practicality in the coupes. Sedans are a middle ground for the two. I drove both the sedan and the coupe and the handling differences are easily felt. I don't have access to the wagon in the US, but I'd imagine it is even worse than the sedan.
That’s why you don’t get high performance wagons in the US. 🤪
Old 08-29-2019, 05:41 PM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
2013 BMW 335is, 2019 Mercedes Benz C43 AMG
That’s why you don’t get high performance wagons in the US. 🤪
Laugh all you want for now. Audi RS6 Avant is heading our way.
Old 08-29-2019, 08:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C190
Originally Posted by viperx100
Laugh all you want for now. Audi RS6 Avant is heading our way.
Yes, my point is that in the US the perception about wagons as all wrong and it is no wonder the Brands generally don’t bring them in the country. Too many generalisations about the platform. An RS4 handles better than a RS5. So the argument about a wagon handling worse than a coupe just based on what one *thinks* or imagines is flawed. If you look at the cars blasting down the autobahn in Germany you find that a high proportion of them are high performance wagons.

In Audi-speak, the RS wagons always outhandle their sedan brethren. I know this first hand, and many who have driven these high performance wagons for the last maybe twenty years would agree.

Those who’ve driven the C43 wagon and the C43 sedan on a regular basis will know that there is not much between them, you will forget that the rear has a longer roof line if you weren’t reminded everything you looked in the rear view mirror. In fact. The weight balance of the wagon is superior in my opinion, with a slight rear bias.

In this thread, I’m not taking about coupe vs sedan vs wagon. They are all C43 and should be treated as C43. Otherwise Mercedes wouldn’t have badged them as such. The handling of the C43 platform as a whole leaves much to be desired if one comes from Audi/BMW ownership and experience. I’m looking to improve the handling of the car (and not replace the car) and I’d like to start by reducing body roll, and perhaps dial out some understeer. It needs bigger tires in front, I’m surprised Mercedes have a staggered setup for an AWD car.

Last edited by TModelle; 08-29-2019 at 08:36 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: The C43 rolls like a pig during cornering, any solutions?