Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-17-2019, 02:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 97 Likes on 82 Posts
'20 GLC300 SUV
Originally Posted by jmc1
well ... maybe with the newer car releases it hurts a little more
like when my car was hot and new and had a transmission control unit die it took a week to get the replacement unit from germany etc
plus another week for the techs to learn from the german experts on how to code it back in blah blah the usual
that warranty event was kinda freaky cuz mine was the first such job they did
good news was the young tech took his time and did a good job
Yeah, but this problem dates back to model year ‘17 cars.
Old 09-17-2019, 03:00 PM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
CLA250
Originally Posted by zibby43
Yeah, but this problem dates back to model year ‘17 cars.
geee ... that's not good
wonder if its some inherent resonance in the chassis as it settles in over time
which would be kinda odd since i noticed their techie training centers with all sorts of computers doing structural analyses and not the kindergarten stuff
but nowadays, as compared to the historic opposite of genuine product tests before release, its get it out there and sort it out later so the bean counters are happy
sign of the times i guess
The following users liked this post:
zibby43 (09-17-2019)
Old 09-27-2019, 06:11 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2019 C43 Sedan
Hi,
I'm in the same boat ....

https://mbworld.org/forums/c450-c43-...ml#post7864420

Hi,
Brand new (2k km) 2019 C43, sedan, experiencing the exact same behaviour - strange high-freq vibrations, which are travelling thru whole car's body , and starting to appear at about 120km/h. They getting stronger (can even blur the rear mirror) and weaker during drive, without any noticable reason.
This is my 4th new car, never experienced such phenomenon before.
I have an dealer verification scheduled this monday, but I'm seriously doubt, if they will deal with it, except for standard actions like wheel rebalance etc.

I'll keep you informed.

BTW. My previous car (S4 B9) was brilliant, during 3 years of driving no single failure or claim. Smooth all the time, no cracking, buzzing, just perfect.

Last edited by mateoosh; 09-27-2019 at 06:17 AM.
Old 09-27-2019, 09:38 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
C43 2019
Originally Posted by mateoosh
Hi,
I'm in the same boat ....

https://mbworld.org/forums/c450-c43-...ml#post7864420

Hi,
Brand new (2k km) 2019 C43, sedan, experiencing the exact same behaviour - strange high-freq vibrations, which are travelling thru whole car's body , and starting to appear at about 120km/h. They getting stronger (can even blur the rear mirror) and weaker during drive, without any noticable reason.
This is my 4th new car, never experienced such phenomenon before.
I have an dealer verification scheduled this monday, but I'm seriously doubt, if they will deal with it, except for standard actions like wheel rebalance etc.

I'll keep you informed.

BTW. My previous car (S4 B9) was brilliant, during 3 years of driving no single failure or claim. Smooth all the time, no cracking, buzzing, just perfect.
Don't let your dealer up throat you a "this is normal" type of answers...
Next post will provide where I am at in my situation.I feel bad for you buddy, we are in the same exact boat with Mercedes stuck with a foot in their mouth.
Old 09-27-2019, 09:51 AM

C43 2019
Status update as of September 27th.

It took a week and a half for the driveshaft to arrive from Germany.
As expected, it didn't change a thing.

- I have been without my spanking new car for a month now.
- Dealer is expecting new instructions from MB - Each time they try something, it's like 2 to 4 days to receive an answer (let's not rate the efficiency of the process here...)
- They would want me to wait again another x weeks, for a differential change but honestly, I am not in the mood to help Mercedes get their act together and use me as an R&D lab.
- We are entering a conversation to switch my car for another new one. Enough is enough,
- The dealer has 2 more in the yard, but the problem is that they informed me the cars in the lot come from the same manufacturing lot and..... have the same problem (they drove test them, the same problem).
- Ultimately, I am not ready to wait any longer for a solution and will try to switch for something that makes sense.
- 2019 C43 are now a rare inventory item in Canada (Meaning inventory with cars that are well/similar equipped). Will I have to wait for a 2020 or choose another car in the AMG line-up.
- I have owned C43 2017, C63S 2016, E63S 2018... the only thing left to try is E53 2019 or go SUV (Beurk)
-The First choice would be to find another C43 without damn issues...

We'll see later today what they are ready to do.
My mood : Pretty much around being totally discussed and fed up by the situation.
Old 09-27-2019, 01:55 PM

C43 2019
2sd update of the day:

- General Manager at the dealership is a car lover a good common sense person. I have had a long phone conversation with him and agrees that the situation is unacceptable.
"I wouldn't drive this car" and "I have tried your car, this is absolutely abnormal and wouldn't want it for my own" were his words. This was appreciated.
- Informed me that he spoke with Germany and Mercedes HO this morning and they came out with 2 options/resolution (General Manager that calls no bull**** with their brand always helps)

So,

- They will send another driveshaft, specifically made for AMG's product as normal driveshaft replacement is the typical C-Class 4matic that they install for replacement (Were is words - I just learned this one).
- He begged me for patience (he perfectly understands that I am at the end of it) and informed me that if this specific AMG driveshaft replacement doesn't do it, Mercedes has accepted to repurchase the car, and will allow for me to pick up another new one.
- He mentioned reserving a new 2019 C43 (as mentioned prior, quite rare in the country with same color choice and fully loaded options) from another dealer already in case of... and even provided me the serial number of it (different manufacturing timing).
- Given the actual circumstances, and the ongoing waiting time, Mercedes has accepted to offer all pre-paid maintenance schedule on the current car as long as I own it (If the problem is solved) and even on the new one, if we end up with a negative result with the second driveshaft they will install.

In all cases, I am happy to see Mercedes acting as the responsible luxury car brand I would expect and are making arrangements towards my "complete" satisfaction - That is the official version.

The truth (solely my opinion based) is to the effect that they do not have a choice, as my belief is that there' a lot more C43 with similar issues than they are willing to admit and this is getting to be an annoying problem to Mercedes-AMG too. Especially with a customer that has bought 3 other AMGs in the last 3 years.

I will keep the post updated, but to all who have a similar issue, please DO NOT take the bad tires-balancing, Runflat tires or any other bad excuses from a dealership and just fo with the flow driving a car you are not happy with.
It is not acceptable to have a Chevy Spark having such an issue, even more, a car from a luxury brand that pushes "the best or nothing" as their marketing pitch.
No one should accept to drive a brand new car that is not functioning as one would expect a new and normal car should.
nbtech (08-12-2023)
Old 10-01-2019, 09:12 AM

2019 C43 Sedan
So, my turn with an update
I went to dealer yesterday.
Foreman did a testdrive and confirmed the vibration issue - what a suprise ! It's very noticable at 120kmh and gets much stronger at 160-170. Very noticable on the floor, steering wheel, well in fact on whole chassis.
Moreover, guy has spill the beans, that they have more customers complaining about the vibration issues in their GLCs and E-classes all with 4Matic.
They have no clue what's wrong. Just did a wheels rebalance which didn't change a thing (what a suprise #2!).
Dealer has opened a special ("prio 1") case in MB-Germany and awaits further instructions, but I seriously doubt if they will be able to do something quickly.
Car is brand new, picked up 3 weeks ago, 2k miles, 19 inch RFT wheels.
I seriously consider to bring my baby to Germany (living 150km from Gerrman border), say some nasty words and simple demand for effectve repair.

All the issues I had (left frontlight failure just during pickup "ceremony" by dealer (finally picked up a week after), some paint issues on rear lid, and now vibrations) are simply unacceptable in such brand like MB , which should be "premium".
Eric Lessard (10-03-2019)
Old 10-01-2019, 03:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 681 Likes on 536 Posts
c
So, my turn with an update
I went to dealer yesterday.
Foreman did a testdrive and confirmed the vibration issue - what a suprise ! It's very noticable at 120kmh and gets much stronger at 160-170. Very noticable on the floor, steering wheel, well in fact on whole chassis.
Moreover, guy has spill the beans, that they have more customers complaining about the vibration issues in their GLCs and E-classes all with 4Matic.
They have no clue what's wrong. Just did a wheels rebalance which didn't change a thing (what a suprise #2!).
Dealer has opened a special ("prio 1") case in MB-Germany and awaits further instructions, but I seriously doubt if they will be able to do something quickly.
Car is brand new, picked up 3 weeks ago, 2k miles, 19 inch RFT wheels.
I seriously consider to bring my baby to Germany (living 150km from Gerrman border), say some nasty words and simple demand for effectve repair.

All the issues I had (left frontlight failure just during pickup "ceremony" by dealer (finally picked up a week after), some paint issues on rear lid, and now vibrations) are simply unacceptable in such brand like MB , which should be "premium".
probably the wheels/tires lol

they can be defective/unbalanceable - happened to a couple of cars in my family
Old 10-07-2019, 12:50 PM

C43 2019
Final update

After 38 days without, I finally am driving my C43 with no more noise or issues (well at least for now lol).

A second drive shaft, especially balanced at AMG (and not at Mercedes) was shipped and installed last Friday.
It solved my problem immediately and the car now rides as a new car should.

Given all the problems and potential angles to fix, in the end, Mercedes as allowed for lifetime service to be paid by them for the loss of the car over such a long period.

Now my appreciation thumbs up/thumbs down

Thumbs UP

To Mercedez Gatineau, Quebec and their team. During this long and frustrating endeavor, the team at this dealer as not only been efficient, but very much comprehensive. They didn't try to deviate the problem and confirmed this was not an acceptable situation and I felt not only understood but respected. They did guide me in the process, called me almost every day with updates, and I honestly believe they have done their best within the limits they have over such an issue.

Thumbs DOWN

To Mercedes, the manufacturer. How can a car end up on the street (and many others) with such problems? Their resolution process and approach to things (Open a case in their system, wait for them to provide instructions and exchange feedback with their dealer) is from another world. Not efficient, with a level of urgency and customer care that is really not to the level of what they pretend to offer. Overall, it took 20 hrs of work at the dealership to solve while the car was on site for 984 hours... slow, just painfully slow and inefficient.

Now, as this was my 4th buy of AMG product over the last 36 months, will I buy from them again?
Well, I'll see but as a start, I have a long memory and will not forget easily this very bad experience with Mercedes.
I have had it with companies that take people for granted, and problems to be fixed as a "we'll fix it at their own rhythm" and ultimately act cocky with consumers.

In conclusion, I feel for all of you guys that are going through major problems on a brand new unit (or almost new).

Take notes, don't accept any BS, and if you are caught with a car dealer that wants to make you believe things are normal when their not, do yourself a favor, go elsewhere as in the end, it's the dealership ability to manage a case with Mercedes (who often acts as more irresponsible corporation than not) that will resolve the problem and nothing else.
Baldur! (10-08-2019)
Old 10-07-2019, 02:09 PM

2019 C43 Sedan
Originally Posted by Eric Lessard
Final update

After 38 days without, I finally am driving my C43 with no more noise or issues (well at least for now lol).

A second drive shaft, especially balanced at AMG (and not at Mercedes) was shipped and installed last Friday.

Given all the problems and potential angles to fix, in the end, Mercedes as allowed for lifetime service to be paid by them for the loss of the car over such a long period.

Thumbs UP

To Mercedez Gatineau, Quebec and their team. During this long and frustrating endeavor, the team at this dealer as not only been efficient, but very much comprehensive. They didn't try to deviate the problem and confirmed this was not an acceptable situation and I felt not only understood but respected. They did guide me in the process, called me almost every day with updates, and I honestly believe they have done their best within the limits they have over such an issue.

Thumbs DOWN

To Mercedes, the manufacturer. How can a car end up on the street (and many others) with such problems? Their resolution process and approach to things (Open a case in their system, wait for them to provide instructions and exchange feedback with their dealer) is from another world. Not efficient, with a level of urgency and customer care that is really not to the level of what they pretend to offer. Overall, it took 20 hrs of work at the dealership to solve while the car was on site for 984 hours... slow, just painfully slow and inefficient.

Now, as this was my 4th buy of AMG product over the last 36 months, will I buy from them again?
Well, I'll see but as a start, I have a long memory and will not forget easily this very bad experience with Mercedes.
I have had it with companies that take people for granted, and problems to be fixed as a "we'll fix it at their own rhythm" and ultimately act cocky with consumers.

In conclusion, I feel for all of you guys that are going through major problems on a brand new unit (or almost new).

Take notes, don't accept any BS, and if you are caught with a car dealer that wants to make you believe things are normal when their not, do yourself a favor, go elsewhere as in the end, it's the dealership ability to manage a case with Mercedes (who often acts as more irresponsible corporation than not) that will resolve the problem and nothing else.
Eric, what a great news ! I'm glad they finally found the reason and repaired your car.
Now my turn :-)

PS. you have a PM.
Old 10-16-2019, 05:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2019 C43 Sedan
Final update

Thumbs UP

Thumbs DOWN

Eric, glad they figured out the cause and repaired your car.
I'm going through the same ordeal!

You have a PM.
Old 10-16-2019, 10:55 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
2017 C43 Sedan
@Eric Lessard thanks for the PM with the details from your issue, I tried to respond to it but can’t seem to, so thought I would send here. Thanks again.
Eric Lessard (10-17-2019)
Old 11-21-2019, 01:39 AM

C43 AMG 2019 - Sedan
Final update

Thumbs UP

Thumbs DOWN

hi Eric how is the car now? I took possession of my car 2 weeks ago and notice a little vibration (nothing overly barring). Wondering if this is the same issue as you mentioned in your first post. I started feeling vibration around the 130kmh mark and above...

Old 11-21-2019, 03:29 AM

2019 C43 Sedan
A little update from my side.
Well, dealer, after doing a testdrive with 2nd C43 and one GLC43 finally issued a statement, that vibrations are "normal" for every "sports car" and is present in both tested cars. Sounds familiar ?
So, went to another one , 50km away. Guys did a testdrive and confirmed the issue immediately, more, I've been told, that I'm not alone with such issue, and they have already identified a "suspect" -> the prop shaft imbalace. (sounds familiar #2 ?)
Now we're waiting for visit of the MB-guys from Techsupport from Germany, and they will do a rebalance DIRECTLY on the car using some kind of a "special tool". Current repair date: 25.11

Fingers crossed
(well, what a silly thing, that I have to cross fingers to get a brand new car repaired)
Old 12-01-2019, 02:24 PM

C43 AMG 2019 - Sedan
A little update from my side.
Well, dealer, after doing a testdrive with 2nd C43 and one GLC43 finally issued a statement, that vibrations are "normal" for every "sports car" and is present in both tested cars. Sounds familiar ?
So, went to another one , 50km away. Guys did a testdrive and confirmed the issue immediately, more, I've been told, that I'm not alone with such issue, and they have already identified a "suspect" -> the prop shaft imbalace. (sounds familiar #2 ?)
Now we're waiting for visit of the MB-guys from Techsupport from Germany, and they will do a rebalance DIRECTLY on the car using some kind of a "special tool". Current repair date: 25.11

Fingers crossed
(well, what a silly thing, that I have to cross fingers to get a brand new car repaired)
what happened after you repair?
Old 02-07-2020, 10:04 AM

Received 110 Likes on 94 Posts
2021 M550i
https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...fter-65-a.html

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...ke-judder.html

Above are the 2 posts that i have started for my E300. Long story short, after 2 years in, there is no fix. Below are the things that have been tried.

1) Roadforce Mount and Balance - TWICE
2) Alignment
3) Rear Brakes and Rotors
4) Front Brakes and Rotors
5) Pico Test

My conclusion after all of this is that there is no fix to this vibration and these cars are just designed this way. I had at least 6 Mercedes in the past but I believe this all started once the 4cyl 9 speed transmissions were introduced, For those of you who have driven manual before, it kind of feels like you are in a taller gear and the car starts to stutter until you drop a gear or two. Additionally it feels like you have a slight bent rim that drive you nuts!

For those who are going through this issue, do you always feel it on the same roads that you travel? In my area they have recently repaved all the major highways and instead of gliding over these roads like hot knife on butter - i feel all the imperfections of the road instead, like its not flat...

Additionally, have you tried going over the same road with a different brand or a different Mercedes? Any difference? I am starting to notice that the newer eurpoean cars all drive like this (MB, BMW, Audi) haven't tried japanese yet but i am pretty sure it wont feel like this.

I think they believe a steering wheel with more feedback is "sportier". It almost feels artificial and pulsating.

After driving a c43 and CLA 35 where this pulsation is much more pronounced, this is when i realized that maybe its all coming from the sportiness of the design . i.e sports suspension and steering....either way, not sure why anybody would be excited about a vibration in there merc...
Old 02-07-2020, 12:23 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,654 Likes on 2,257 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Originally Posted by jhpmbusa
https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...fter-65-a.html

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...ke-judder.html

Above are the 2 posts that i have started for my E300. Long story short, after 2 years in, there is no fix. Below are the things that have been tried.

1) Roadforce Mount and Balance - TWICE
2) Alignment
3) Rear Brakes and Rotors
4) Front Brakes and Rotors
5) Pico Test

My conclusion after all of this is that there is no fix to this vibration and these cars are just designed this way. I had at least 6 Mercedes in the past but I believe this all started once the 4cyl 9 speed transmissions were introduced, For those of you who have driven manual before, it kind of feels like you are in a taller gear and the car starts to stutter until you drop a gear or two. Additionally it feels like you have a slight bent rim that drive you nuts!

For those who are going through this issue, do you always feel it on the same roads that you travel? In my area they have recently repaved all the major highways and instead of gliding over these roads like hot knife on butter - i feel all the imperfections of the road instead, like its not flat...

Additionally, have you tried going over the same road with a different brand or a different Mercedes? Any difference? I am starting to notice that the newer eurpoean cars all drive like this (MB, BMW, Audi) haven't tried japanese yet but i am pretty sure it wont feel like this.

I think they believe a steering wheel with more feedback is "sportier". It almost feels artificial and pulsating.

After driving a c43 and CLA 35 where this pulsation is much more pronounced, this is when i realized that maybe its all coming from the sportiness of the design . i.e sports suspension and steering....either way, not sure why anybody would be excited about a vibration in there merc...
Yikes. But if you notice my post on the other thread stating 2017 C43 vibration issue I linked this thread as well.
Basically changing the driveshaft specifically balanced for the C43 solved the vibration issue for those cars.
I still couldn't believe that an E class has the same issue. I haven't heard of any until today either.
Old 02-07-2020, 12:29 PM

2021 M550i
If i had to explain it to my MB service dept, should I just ask them to check my driveshaft? Or what is the proper lingo so they understand? haha
Old 02-07-2020, 06:57 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,654 Likes on 2,257 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
If i had to explain it to my MB service dept, should I just ask them to check my driveshaft? Or what is the proper lingo so they understand? haha
Hmmm. Well just explain the symptoms... the pulsing vibrations then go from there. They wouldn't just check the driveshaft I think plus visually they wouldn't be able to tell if it broken or not.... I think...
Old 02-28-2020, 06:43 PM

c43 amg
My C43 AMG has the same problem

Final update

Thumbs UP

Thumbs DOWN

my c43 has been in mercedes central switzerland for over 2 months and they fitted me with new tires and 1 new rim because they thought that was the cause. then i got the message that it is not the case for the solution. and now i have already done several jobs in my workshop like replacing the two front shafts and and and not all. now the cardan shaft and the rear shaft are renewed in the next few days. I've been annoyed for months. I have solved exactly what you said with amg drive shafts, but the swiss do not answer and tell me there are no finely balanced drive shafts from amg. I would be glad who you can give me your chassis number so that I can see in the system in the workshop what exactly you did to finally solve the problem and end the chapter. greetings ardi

Old 11-30-2020, 08:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
c43 2019
Originally Posted by 5ilver-5urfer
36 months of ownership later and I can confirm that the harmonic vibration is just part of the package. My car has done it since day one. I've driven the car on 3 sets of tires, 2 sets of rims, and had alignment / balancing done here and there between seasons. Nothing ever really fixes it, but changing out to non-RFTs made a slight difference. Some people can't notice it when they sit in the car with me even if I point it out, others notice it right away....I guess it depends on how sensitive your physical senses are. Either way, it doesnt seem to be dangerous, but it is kind of disconcerting to experience it on a car this price.
I just switched to NRF and your right this noise seems like part of the package. There is no vibration with the wheel. It is perfect, but that noise is annoying beyond believe. I kind of feel like it is part of the 4matic or the suspension. I hear with ESP on and off.

It almost sounds like a bearing or bent rim, but you are confirming it is part of the Mercedes DNA. Wow my first Mercedes and this is hard to swallow.

Old 12-02-2020, 11:36 PM

c43 2019
I've had my car for a few weeks and it intolerable. Not a vibration that everyone feels, but it's there on all surfaces. Some better and some worse.

ITS not the tires or balance. Just completed
Brakes and rotors good.

Vibration hum from
Suspension
4matic
Driveshaft
?

Can't tell if it is front or back. Probably right under me.

It might be easier just moving to a different car.
Old 12-03-2020, 10:55 AM

2021 M550i
i try to convince myself its just part of the sportier suspension which picks up more than it should. Also, if you are driving fast you wont notice it haha. The vibration from the steering wheel feels almost artificial and unnecessary, but this might be due to some people complaining that the steering feedback is too numb. Not just for MB but from the general population and for different brands. I definitely feel its baked into the design, but I definitely dislike it. It always feels like you have a slightly bent rim... i have noticed it in the other brands as well for the sportier models. bigger rims just adds to the vibration as well. I have noticed it more for sure on European brands. Funny thing is I just test drove the next TLX and it seems like they have adapted the vibration into their design as well... smh. I think its supposed to be more "sporty"......
Old 12-03-2020, 06:13 PM

c43 2019
Upgrading P Exhaust

i try to convince myself its just part of the sportier suspension which picks up more than it should. Also, if you are driving fast you wont notice it haha. The vibration from the steering wheel feels almost artificial and unnecessary, but this might be due to some people complaining that the steering feedback is too numb. Not just for MB but from the general population and for different brands. I definitely feel its baked into the design, but I definitely dislike it. It always feels like you have a slightly bent rim... i have noticed it in the other brands as well for the sportier models. bigger rims just adds to the vibration as well. I have noticed it more for sure on European brands. Funny thing is I just test drove the next TLX and it seems like they have adapted the vibration into their design as well... smh. I think its supposed to be more "sporty"......
Thanks for the comments. Car is overall nice. I was even considering test driving the 2021 m440i. Not sure. One big bummer with this car (which I bought used with 5k miles) is it didn't have the PExhaust. I'm debating whether I should add an AWE or other. And if that sound will help make the experience better and drown out the Vibration. Just not sure I can justify the 2k if I plan on dumping the car.

Do you have the PE exhaust?
Old 12-04-2020, 01:04 PM

2021 M550i
Originally Posted by 4Gosselin
Thanks for the comments. Car is overall nice. I was even considering test driving the 2021 m440i. Not sure. One big bummer with this car (which I bought used with 5k miles) is it didn't have the PExhaust. I'm debating whether I should add an AWE or other. And if that sound will help make the experience better and drown out the Vibration. Just not sure I can justify the 2k if I plan on dumping the car.

Do you have the PE exhaust?
Yep, definitely have the PE exhaust, I would say it makes up 50 - 75% of the experience =)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: C43 2019 Sedan - Another vibration/noise issue