Ceramic coating experience

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-15-2019, 07:27 AM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
W205 AMG C63S
Ceramic coating experience

Hi Guys,

I am considering getting the car treated with Opti-coat PRO+, but the treatment is fairly expensive, so before shelling out on it, I wanted to hear if anyone has any personal experience with this specific product or any similar permanent ceramic coatings? Specifically, how well does it hold up and is the car really easier to clean.

Thanks!
Old 09-15-2019, 07:47 AM

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
016 c450 AMG
I had my CTS V done and was happy with the shine and it seemed to be easier to maintain the cleanliness. The only issue I had was the fact that the idiot detailer that did it did a lousy job of correcting the paint before installing it. They essentially sealed in a bunch of swirl marks..It was a black car and it irritated the crap out of me..Nano/ceramic coatings are good..Surface prep is critical.
The following users liked this post:
Dalle1985 (09-15-2019)
Old 09-15-2019, 08:55 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2018 Mercedes AMG C43
I had mine done and while I am happy with the shine, I am not sure if it makes the car any easier to clean. The other issues I had with it and seems to be common if you do a search is that water marks very easily make impressions in the coating and opti coat does not cover this under warranty. I was at the beach for a week, and the salt water had etched itself into the coating. The detail shop was able to use opti coat's water spot remover and do a 1 step paint correction, but the coating was still not back to perfect.
Dalle1985 (09-15-2019)
Old 09-15-2019, 04:57 PM

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts
2019 AMG C63S
I did both Xpel PPF (for front, rear, fender and side skirt areas) along with a full body Ceramic Pro, Relative to the partial PPF, Cermaic Pro was not that expensive. I've had it only for few months so far with the coating and I find that it is generally easier to wash the car. You don't have to bother with waxing and polishing over time which I think is a great convenience especially if you do your own washes. I wash my car every 2-3 weeks, and with the coating (and the PPF) my hose does most of the job during the wash. Areas on the front, rear and sides underneath the car is where most of the harder dirt usually still sticks. I end up spending roughly five mins with elbow grease to clean those, but they also come off fairly easily.

However I think even with any protection, cleaning regularly is the only way to take good care of your car's exterior. For certain kinds of stains, you will also want to act quicker (eg. bird droppings, etc.). I also take extra care to try my best to park in covered parking wherever possible. I always park inside my home garage and use covered garage parking at work.

Ceramic Pro is very thin by itself and hence doesn't offer too much protection by itself for dings, scratches, chips, etc. If you need a bit of protection, you need PPF for that.

Last edited by Tuxdude; 09-15-2019 at 05:02 PM.
Old 09-16-2019, 08:44 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2018 AMG C43 Coupe
For what it's work I picked up Adams Ceramic Spay kit for a labor day sale. Looks/water beads pretty darn good. It was 80 bucks on sale and I have plenty left over for multiple applications and it was easy to do.
Old 09-16-2019, 11:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 274 Likes on 204 Posts
'19 CLS450
Originally Posted by wsboxer1
For what it's work I picked up Adams Ceramic Spay kit for a labor day sale. Looks/water beads pretty darn good. It was 80 bucks on sale and I have plenty left over for multiple applications and it was easy to do.
I can second this. I used the Avalon King ceramic coating on our Land Rover and it's been fine, but application is a bear. I also bought the Adam's Ceramic Spray Coating on Labor Day sale, corrected and applied to the C43 and have been super happy. I applied with a microfiber sponge to everything - glass, trim, headlights, wheels. I'm only two washes post-application, but it's great considering how easy it was to apply. Applied an extra coat over the Land Rover as well.

I got a medium bottle for $42. My local CQ Quartz shop charges $1,000+ depending on car and required correction/prep.
Dalle1985 (09-18-2019)