Advice on Pre-Purchase Inspection for CPO

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-03-2019, 11:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
None
Question Advice on Pre-Purchase Inspection for CPO

Hello,

I'm currently looking at 2018 C43 AMG CPO in one of our local dealer.
It will be our first Mercedes Benz.

Do I need to get Pre-Purchase Inspection from third party mechanics on the vehicle?
Is it necessary since the vehicle is CPO?
If so, what are the steps? Do I bring the car for Pre-Purchase Inspection before I pay the vehicle?

Thank you.
Old 10-03-2019, 12:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 274 Likes on 204 Posts
'19 CLS450
While it certainly wouldn't hurt to have a PPI completed, I personally wouldn't spend the money knowing it's a CPO car. Anything that could go wrong will be covered under warranty.

You mention first MB, but is it your first German or performance oriented car? Unless you're a shade-tree mechanic, pay-to-play is the name of the game once you're out of warranty. I'm guessing you're not, so it would also behoove you to find a local independent mechanic for any potential repairs and maintenance. If you're in the US, you are NOT required to go to MB for any/all service to maintain your warranty coverage. While the dealership and service department aim to provide an exceptional experience, they are not your friend. Service A oil changes typically run +/-$240, Service B's are +/- double that. Independent shops should cost half that. Do it yourself for even less.

Last edited by RichardCranium3; 10-04-2019 at 02:10 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by RichardCranium3:
b6tbfmp (10-03-2019), Nastar (10-03-2019)
Old 10-03-2019, 08:36 PM

Received 103 Likes on 78 Posts
GLC43, X P100D, S P100D, CT200H
Originally Posted by Nastar
Hello,

I'm currently looking at 2018 C43 AMG CPO in one of our local dealer.
It will be our first Mercedes Benz.

Do I need to get Pre-Purchase Inspection from third party mechanics on the vehicle?
Is it necessary since the vehicle is CPO?
If so, what are the steps? Do I bring the car for Pre-Purchase Inspection before I pay the vehicle?

Thank you.
If you can do a PPI and you have a mechanic you trust and can bring, do it.

If you cant, you are still covered under warranty.

BUT you should realize that when Benz took in the car, they probably didnt inspect it too much either. They probably only gave it a quick look over. Just because its CPO'd doesnt mean that when they bought the vehicle off the last dude, that they replaced everything new. It only means they did not see anything that was in obvious need of immediate replacement.

You should also PLAN OUT how you plan to inspect the car

- Cold Start. Tell the dealer not to prepare the car, you want to hear the car cold start. Do NOT let them warm up the car for you. Dont even let them move the car before you see it. So that means do not let them move the car to somewhere easier to inspect. Otherwise you wont hear the cold start.
- Warm up the car
- Drive the car hard. You are trying to see how the car behaves when you floor the throttle. Turn hard, you want to know if the suspension is messed up or if parts needs replacing. You also want to get the engine and transmission fluids temperatures up.
- THEN inspect the engine bay. It is nearly pointless to inspect the engine bay before you even drove it. If you have an oil leak, usually it will only present itself after the engine is already hot and the oil is already up to temperature/pressure. There wouldnt be a leak if the car hasnt been driven and is just sitting there. The dealer would have fixed that already since its obvious.
- Check to see if all the buttons works and doors work and open/close properly. If there is a moonroof, it can often get misaligned during a collision. Same with the hood and the trunk.
- Lastly check to see if theres any obvious dents/dings/scratches you can get the dealer to replace before you buy it

Make sure it has the options you want. Dont think you will just add the options afterwards. That will cost way more than you think. Cheaper to just get a car with the options you want, even if it has more mileage, different color, or cost a few hundred more.
The following 2 users liked this post by waisoserious:
chrissy0874 (10-07-2019), Nastar (10-04-2019)
Old 10-04-2019, 08:36 AM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
Car free at the moment
CPO gives you a good warranty. The dealer is supposed to replace brakes, tires, etc. if they are more than 50% ish worn. Some are better about this than others. Ask what reconditioning they did to the car to get it ready.

The main thing is to determine if the car has had any paint and body work. CPO does not guarantee it has never been in an accident. It is supposed to insure it has never been in a major accident. Car fax is a start, but inspection by someone who can tell you what has been painted is useful. You’ll need to determine what you are willing to accept. Most cars this age seem to have had some paint work.
The following users liked this post:
Nastar (10-04-2019)