Sponsored by:

A/C Evap drain location

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-10-2019, 09:38 AM

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
2016 C450 AMG Sport, 2018 GLE400
A/C Evap drain location

Hey all, just wondering if anyone knows where the exact location of the evap drain hose is under the car. I have the dreaded ac smell and will be using kool it coil cleaner to hopefully get rid of it. Need to spray the foam through the drain hose. Im starting to think its clogged (or partially) as i rarely see water under the vehicle when ac is running. Haven't had a chance to get the car up on the jack yet so figured id ask to help me pinpoint the location more easily and depending on where it is maybe i don t have to jack the car up at all.
Thanks
Old 10-10-2019, 10:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 274 Likes on 204 Posts
'19 CLS450
Following for an answer as well!
Old 10-11-2019, 11:00 AM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
GLS450, AMG C43 Cabriolet
Originally Posted by Boostman76
Hey all, just wondering if anyone knows where the exact location of the evap drain hose is under the car. I have the dreaded ac smell and will be using kool it coil cleaner to hopefully get rid of it. Need to spray the foam through the drain hose. Im starting to think its clogged (or partially) as i rarely see water under the vehicle when ac is running. Haven't had a chance to get the car up on the jack yet so figured id ask to help me pinpoint the location more easily and depending on where it is maybe i don t have to jack the car up at all.
Thanks
On the Cabriolet, it's right above the Cat. It's a tough spot to get to unless you jack up the car, and even then, if it's slightly hot it's almost impossible. Definitely easier to do it when the car is on a lift, but it's not impossible.

The easiest way to deodorize the condenser yourself is through the cabin filter box.

You have to take off the panel under the glovebox on the passenger side footwell (2 screws and 2 cables), then open up the filter box and pull out the filter (there's youtube videos on this).

Once you have the filter out, put a plastic tarp or sheet, or even a garbage bag in the footwell to protect the carpet (the foam WILL drip out), and put a drip pan under the drain under the car (unless you're outside or don't care about a puddle on your garage floor)

Then you slip the hose from the Kool It up to the condenser, making sure you're going the right way (towards the center of the car) and spray out the can.

Wait 15 minutes or so and I'd suggest that you do it again (yes, with a full second can). Replace the filter, close everything up, and blast the AC for 10 minutes or so.

It will still smell a little funky (a mix of the mildew smell and the cleaner smell) for a day or two, but after it totally dries, it'll be like new.

Hope that helps.

The following users liked this post:
Sailorlite (10-11-2019)
Old 10-11-2019, 01:11 PM

Thank you...will go through the cabin filter access as you suggest and double up on the cans...
Old 04-10-2020, 10:31 PM

Hey everyone...just saw this while browsing for where to buy kool it or kima cleaner evap cleaner in canada. Not sure if the win in the US applies to Canada as well but worth a try. Seems like the smell in my car is getting worse!

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...xPhfq2XEc&cf=1
Old 04-11-2020, 02:05 AM

Received 101 Likes on 84 Posts
2018 Mercedes C43 AMG Coupe
Hope something comes out of the suit before it becomes full-blown summer...
Old 04-26-2020, 06:29 PM

So today i did the a/c evap foam cleaner..cant get Kool It brand anymore here in canada so found a blue chem product that i used...i first decided to try to find the drain tube but wasn't successful...had the car up on ramps and unless i didn't have the correct angle I'm convinced this car doesn't have a bloody drain ( i know its somewhere but couldnt find it). Decided to go through the cabin filter access door as explained above...worked out fine with some foam coming back out and dripping in a bag i had setup. Followed the instructions by waiting 15min then turning ac, etc...to my surprise nothing drained out of the bottom of the car...i was expecting to see something, a drop, a stream, anything but nothing.
So the question is, could the drain to totally clogged and sealed shut? I've scoured the internet for a picture of where it could be on this car and nothing so if anyone has one please feel free to share.

As for the musty smell, only time will well...really not driving the car much with the covid19 as im working from home so we'll see what happens.