Sponsored by:

C43 Wagon vs S4 Avant ( Euro spec) Road Test

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-26-2019, 04:26 AM

Received 131 Likes on 83 Posts
2004 E55 K Wagon &. '96 SL500
C43 Wagon vs S4 Avant ( Euro spec) Road Test

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/audi-s4-tdi-vs-mercedes-amg-c43-can-diesel-beat-petrol/

Here's the link for the CT comparison test.
Why anyone would want an S4 with a diesel is beyond me.
None of the character or powerband of the petrol, a dull noise only enhanced by speakers. A narrow diesel powerband and heavy in the nose. Not exactly a car you'd take out for a fun drive, unlike the C43 , which even on Estate form handles twisty roads very well . I've driven a few thousands miles on windy mountain roads , in all conditions and its great fun and easy to use all the power.
The noise is fantastic, and the car still small enough that you can chuck it around on narrow roads, which the S213 AMGs would feel too big for.
Old 10-26-2019, 11:51 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
searching for a c43 sedan
I really wish MB would bring the c43 wagon to America. Dont get why canada has that car but we dont, WTF mercedes.
Old 10-27-2019, 02:47 AM

Received 131 Likes on 83 Posts
2004 E55 K Wagon &. '96 SL500
Originally Posted by 1mic
I really wish MB would bring the c43 wagon to America. Dont get why canada has that car but we dont, WTF mercedes.
It's a strange choice, missing out on the best body style IMO.
Old 10-27-2019, 04:22 AM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
W205 AMG C63S
Originally Posted by AhEmGee
https://www.carthrottle.com/post/audi-s4-tdi-vs-mercedes-amg-c43-can-diesel-beat-petrol/

Here's the link for the CT comparison test.
Why anyone would want an S4 with a diesel is beyond me.
None of the character or powerband of the petrol, a dull noise only enhanced by speakers. A narrow diesel powerband and heavy in the nose. Not exactly a car you'd take out for a fun drive, unlike the C43 , which even on Estate form handles twisty roads very well . I've driven a few thousands miles on windy mountain roads , in all conditions and its great fun and easy to use all the power.
The noise is fantastic, and the car still small enough that you can chuck it around on narrow roads, which the S213 AMGs would feel too big for.
The diesel S4 is built for the same reason the next C63 will come with a 4-cylinder hybrid drivetrain: because of the EU regulation putting a cap on the combined average CO2 emmisions from any manufacturer.

However, many of the owners of these cars, especially in Germany does a lot of autobahn miles, and there the diesel makes sense. I have a colleague who owns a SQ5 TDI and he drives 15 km/l on average where I do 8.5 in the Mercedes. Granted, he drives more highway miles than me, but even on very long hauls at 130 kph I only get around 12 km/l.

so they do have their merits, but they are not performance cars in the same way as the gasoline counterparts.
Old 10-27-2019, 08:39 AM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
'20 C43 Wagon Cavansite Blue
Originally Posted by 1mic
I believe it’s up the the subsidiary in each country to decide what models they will offer. Canada lacks several of the wagons available in the US, the Jag XF comes to mind. MB Canada has taken a risk believing the C43 will be popular enough to be profitable. I speak from experience when I say their inventory is incredibly limited - like one to no C43 wagons per dealer at any given time. Wagons are also only manufactured in Germany, so if you have a custom order - you’re going to wait even longer than for the sedan.
The following users liked this post:
Joe_Grind (10-27-2019)
Old 10-27-2019, 08:47 AM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
'20 C43 Wagon Cavansite Blue
Originally Posted by Dalle1985
However, many of the owners of these cars, especially in Germany does a lot of autobahn miles, and there the diesel makes sense. I have a colleague who owns a SQ5 TDI and he drives 15 km/l on average where I do 8.5 in the Mercedes. Granted, he drives more highway miles than me, but even on very long hauls at 130 kph I only get around 12 km/l.

so they do have their merits, but they are not performance cars in the same way as the gasoline counterparts.
Is it typical to speak of litres per kilometre than litres per 100 kilometres in Germany? In Canada, we do the latter - so I don’t even try to compare fuel economy when the Yanks or Brits talk about mpg.

The currency conversion and litres to gallon also make it harder to compare fuel costs, but I consider that ignorance as bliss since we pay a LOT more compared to our Southern neighbours.
Old 10-27-2019, 04:08 PM

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
2019 C43 Wagon
Originally Posted by RevengeTO
I believe it’s up the the subsidiary in each country to decide what models they will offer. Canada lacks several of the wagons available in the US, the Jag XF comes to mind. MB Canada has taken a risk believing the C43 will be popular enough to be profitable. I speak from experience when I say their inventory is incredibly limited - like one to no C43 wagons per dealer at any given time. Wagons are also only manufactured in Germany, so if you have a custom order - you’re going to wait even longer than for the sedan.
Agree that they are tough to find in Canada, but there are some around to test drive and the wait for build and delivery isn't too bad. Still better than the V90 in America which is dealer order only (IIRC) so you can't even test drive it.
Having the C43 Wagon, is the sole reason I moved from a series of Audi's. I was specifically looking for an S4 Avant, which doesn't exist in Canada. In reality all the manufacturers do really want you to take the SQ5 / GLC43 route as it's just easier to stock/sell and resell as the market is so huge and a huge intersection of status seekers, soccer moms and enthusiasts who don't have another option.

I think in America, the CAFE system makes it worse - It's way better for a company to get you into a GLC43 as it's going to drop their truck average, compared to a C43 estate, which is at best average in their car segment.