Sponsored by:

Higher Engine Oil temps?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-05-2019, 06:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C
Higher Engine Oil temps?

I recently had some repairs done by an authorised body shop and the only work surrounding radiator that I can see was a replacement of coolant. now during normal city driving the engine oil reading shows mid to high 90 degrees (Celsius). I don’t recall my car ever running so hot previously. Hence I was just wondering if this was something I should be concerned about?

Thanks
Old 11-05-2019, 07:14 PM

Received 103 Likes on 78 Posts
GLC43, X P100D, S P100D, CT200H
90 only? Should be fine.

I hit temps of 90 just driving around in eco mode.

Sport mode regular driving is like 100

If I really get it in S+ it will be closer to 105-108
Old 11-05-2019, 07:45 PM

C
Originally Posted by waisoserious
90 only? Should be fine.

ah alright, I used to only hit around 98-100 in sport plus but this morning it was 98 just in comfort. Outside temperature was only around 18-19 degrees as well.
Old 11-05-2019, 08:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 263 Likes on 207 Posts
C450, GLC43
Originally Posted by waisoserious
90 only? Should be fine.

Petty much the same for me for both my vehicles.
Old 11-08-2019, 07:15 PM

C
Would love to hear some more feedback regarding your cars. I’m still a little bit concerned given just today it reached temperature in like 5 minutes and hit 100 degrees by the end of my driving, almost always in comfort. I am cautious that if the car is hitting 100 when it’s 13 outside, what will it be like in 30+ degree weather and sport plus??

My Concern probably arises from the fact that it used to take 15minutes or so to reach 70 and would only slowly increase from there. Wonder if the authorised repair shop used less coolant than the factory? Would love some more input before I reach out to them.
Old 11-08-2019, 08:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 263 Likes on 207 Posts
C450, GLC43
Originally Posted by Just Curious
Would love to hear some more feedback regarding your cars. I’m still a little bit concerned given just today it reached temperature in like 5 minutes and hit 100 degrees by the end of my driving, almost always in comfort. I am cautious that if the car is hitting 100 when it’s 13 outside, what will it be like in 30+ degree weather and sport plus??

My Concern probably arises from the fact that it used to take 15minutes or so to reach 70 and would only slowly increase from there. Wonder if the authorised repair shop used less coolant than the factory? Would love some more input before I reach out to them.

Just check your coolant and oil levels. Your car still has a dipstick for the oil. It's the pink one close to the firewall on drivers side. It will usually come up dry on the first pull. Pull it all the way out, return it and repeat. Coolant reservoir is front passenger side.

It's possible you could have an air bubble in the cooling system. I don't know how easy it is to check on a W205.
On most cars you park with the front end slightly elevated, shut it off open the hood and let it cool off, carefully and cautiously remove the radiator cap, start the car and run it with the heater on until the thermostat opens up the coolant loop. Once the coolant starts circulating you wait for the bubble to purge out while slowing refilling the coolant. I have no idea if you do this on a modern German car. I've only ever done this with a '72 Chevy Cheyenne and a '91 Tercel.
Old 11-08-2019, 08:48 PM

C
Originally Posted by Mr. J
Just check your coolant and oil levels. Your car still has a dipstick for the oil. It's the pink one close to the firewall on drivers side. It will usually come up dry on the first pull. Pull it all the way out, return it and repeat. Coolant reservoir is front passenger side.

It's possible you could have an air bubble in the cooling system. I don't know how easy it is to check on a W205.
On most cars you park with the front end slightly elevated, shut it off open the hood and let it cool off, carefully and cautiously remove the radiator cap, start the car and run it with the heater on until the thermostat opens up the coolant loop. Once the coolant starts circulating you wait for the bubble to purge out while slowing refilling the coolant. I have no idea if you do this on a modern German car. I've only ever done this with a '72 Chevy Cheyenne and a '91 Tercel.
Thanks, I will check the oil and coolant levels. I wanted to just compare the way my car was running to others as I understand the engine temperature is still in spec just the large variation has me slightly concerned.

Thanks for the tips, I’ll have a look around at ‘burping’ an air bubble out haha.
Old 11-09-2019, 01:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 274 Likes on 204 Posts
'19 CLS450
Thanks, I will check the oil and coolant levels. I wanted to just compare the way my car was running to others as I understand the engine temperature is still in spec just the large variation has me slightly concerned.

Thanks for the tips, I’ll have a look around at ‘burping’ an air bubble out haha.
Manual has instructions on checking the coolant level. If it were low, you’d be getting a notification on the dash display stating so. With the weather change, I was getting it once a week on a really cold startup. While changing my oil today, I checked and sure enough, it was right at the bottom end of within spec. Topped it off and good to go.

Full beans in the peak of summer I’ve hit 215F-ish (101ish), otherwise 198-208F (92-98C) is typical year-round operating temp.
Old 11-09-2019, 09:03 PM

C
Originally Posted by RichardCranium3
Manual has instructions on checking the coolant level. If it were low, you’d be getting a notification on the dash display stating so. With the weather change, I was getting it once a week on a really cold startup. While changing my oil today, I checked and sure enough, it was right at the bottom end of within spec. Topped it off and good to go.

Full beans in the peak of summer I’ve hit 215F-ish (101ish), otherwise 198-208F (92-98C) is typical year-round operating temp.

I think I’ve worked out why and I’m a bit ashamed it didn’t occur to me. I monitored the engine closely yesterday but didn’t check the dipstick. I think the engine has just burned through some of its oil, I recall my previous MB v8’s being prone to this, I just didn’t notice the operating temp increasing as they didn’t have the gauge. I suspect if I top it up with some 0W-50 it should be fine (after confirming with dipstick)

My coolant seemed to be fine yesterday.
Old 11-09-2019, 11:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 274 Likes on 204 Posts
'19 CLS450
I think I’ve worked out why and I’m a bit ashamed it didn’t occur to me. I monitored the engine closely yesterday but didn’t check the dipstick. I think the engine has just burned through some of its oil, I recall my previous MB v8’s being prone to this, I just didn’t notice the operating temp increasing as they didn’t have the gauge. I suspect if I top it up with some 0W-50 it should be fine (after confirming with dipstick)

My coolant seemed to be fine yesterday.
Mobil1 0W-40 is spec