C450/C43 AMG
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2020 C43... odd performance exhaust behavior?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-17-2020, 08:11 AM

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts
2020 C43 sedan(hers), 2021 Porsche 992 TurboS(his)
Originally Posted by zibby43
I had an '18 sedan before switching to a '20 (both with the PE). In my case, there is definitely still a difference in sound (and volume) between PE on/off, but I have noticed a few changes:

1) The '20 is louder on cold starts (irrespective of whether the PE is on or off when starting), especially from inside the cabin. The Emotion Start (which is available on the '20) is great.

2) The pops and crackles when braking/decelerating are mostly the same in the '20.

3) The '20 is a bit quieter when cruising around in C or S (haven't utilized S+ yet - only 200 miles). This car has the pano roof, unlike my last one. I don't know whether it's better sound insulation or the introduction of the particulate filter, but there is a subtle difference.

4) There is noticeably less drone at cruising speeds in C (PE on) with the '20.

Really prefer the quad oval tips on the '20, too.
Agree on all points.
Curious why you wouldn't use S+ yet?
Our 2020 has the same mileage, not a lot of essential places to drive to I guess, but have definitely been playing with all drive modes with light throttle.
The following users liked this post:
zibby43 (04-17-2020)
Old 04-17-2020, 02:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 97 Likes on 82 Posts
'20 GLC300 SUV
Originally Posted by 1Gunner
Agree on all points.
Curious why you wouldn't use S+ yet?
Our 2020 has the same mileage, not a lot of essential places to drive to I guess, but have definitely been playing with all drive modes with light throttle.
I just haven't gotten to it (S+) yet haha! No problem at all with utilizing S+ during break-in. How is S+ on the '20 compared to your pre-facelift?

It's been an interesting time to take delivery of a new car, that's for sure. Glad you've also been able to put a little bit of mileage on the car despite the circumstances!
Old 07-28-2020, 06:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C43 AMG
Originally Posted by RJ M
Just picked up my new 2020 C43 a couple of weeks ago, so I can actually participate here instead of just reading posts about the C43

Mine has the Performance Exhaust included in the build.

Liking the car a lot so far but noticed some oddity to the way the exhaust behaves. It's always been loud on start up (fine with me), but driving around in comfort, I noticed at light part-throttle the growl is unusually... "noticeable", a bit in your face, louder than any music playing. Keep in mind, I also have my "sports" cars on the side... this is my DD sedan. I've had 3 generations of Cayman S with various aftermarket exhausts, had a Lotus Evora S w/ aftermarket exhaust, a BMW M235 with performance exhaust, and now a '19 Corvette with... you guessed it, performance exhaust. So, you get the picture... I'm not a stranger to loud exhausts, but this behavior seemed unusual.

So, anyway... the other night, it had been a really, really long and stressful day at work, really tired, burnt, foul mood, got in the car and started driving in traffic and, I have to admit, at one point I was just like "man, I wish this thing would just SHUT UP."

I was in Comfort, the light on the exhaust button was off, and just completely randomly, I just decided to hit the Exhaust button anyway to see how much louder it would actually go.

I was at idle when I did this and, to my surprise, it momentarily got QUIETER when the light came ON. I applied light throttle, and with the light still on, it was not *quite* as loud as before. When I really got on the throttle, it was definitely fully awake and popping. So I clicked the button OFF, and suddenly, things got *significantly* quieter than before, and stayed that way, at all revs and throttle inputs. When I switched back ON, was definitely louder, but never as loud at part-throttle as it was initially.

I turned car off when I reached grocery store... turned back on, same exact scenario. It's like it's at it's absolute loudest on startup, and any adjustment to the switch changes it henceforth, and it's still quieter in EITHER mode at light part-throttle than after startup.

That said... car only has 150 miles on it. Maybe it's still adjusting and learning something.

Anyone experience this ever?
Thanks for the comment. I just got a 2020 C43 and having the same issue with the exhaust. Its annoying that I have to play with the buttons every time to reset this issue which I assume is software related. Anyone know if this has been addressed?
Old 07-28-2020, 06:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C43 AMG
Thanks for the comment. I just got a 2020 C43 and having the same issue with the exhaust. Its annoying that I have to play with the buttons every time to reset this issue which I assume is software related. Anyone know if this has been addressed?
Old 07-29-2020, 07:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'20 GLC300 SUV
Originally Posted by AnkleDoc
I always hit the PE button right after I start the car. Has nice burbles, crackles, and pops, even in C. After running an errand today, I forgot to turn it on, and noticed that the volume of the exhaust was actually louder than with the PE on. However, there were no crackles and pops.

After turning the PE on, and then back off, “normal” C mode was quieter.

Just thought it was interesting more than anything.
Old 07-29-2020, 08:01 PM

Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts
C43
I always hit the PE button right after I start the car. Has nice burbles, crackles, and pops, even in C. After running an errand today, I forgot to turn it on, and noticed that the volume of the exhaust was actually louder than with the PE on. However, there were no crackles and pops.

After turning the PE on, and then back off, “normal” C mode was quieter.

Just thought it was interesting more than anything.
I notice this inconsistency from time to time as well in my 2020 C43. Not sure if this is something that they will iron out with a software update; it should be possible though.
Old 07-29-2020, 08:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'20 GLC300 SUV
Originally Posted by Ramsino
I notice this inconsistency from time to time as well in my 2020 C43. Not sure if this is something that they will iron out with a software update; it should be possible though.
Thanks for taking the time to share. Glad to know my mind wasn’t playing tricks on me.

I also view it as a software issue of some kind. The PE being on definitely guarantees the extra drama of the pops and crackles, but it was the louder overall pure volume when accelerating gently in C, with the PE off, that caught my attention.

I love the sound, either way, so I’m more curious than anything at this point. There was a much sharper distinction between the “volume” of PE on/off in my ‘18.
Old 07-29-2020, 08:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 191 Likes on 135 Posts
C190
Thanks for taking the time to share. Glad to know my mind wasn’t playing tricks on me.

I also view it as a software issue of some kind. The PE being on definitely guarantees the extra drama of the pops and crackles, but it was the louder overall pure volume when accelerating gently in C, with the PE off, that caught my attention.

I love the sound, either way, so I’m more curious than anything at this point. There was a much sharper distinction between the “volume” of PE on/off in my ‘18.
Perhaps it’s a software issue with the in-cabin sound generator rather than the actual physical exhaust itself. That would make the most sense.
Old 07-29-2020, 09:18 PM

Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts
C43

Yes, I love the sound too! However, I do prefer as quiet as possible when in Comfort mode. It doesn't make sense to have different modes if the modes themselves are not as distinctive as can be among one another.

I thought the 2020 AMG C43 Sedan does not have piped in sound or artificial sound generator coming from the speakers. I recall there being a large thread on that discussion somewhere on this forum.
Old 07-29-2020, 10:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 191 Likes on 135 Posts
C190
Originally Posted by Ramsino
Yes, I love the sound too! However, I do prefer as quiet as possible when in Comfort mode. It doesn't make sense to have different modes if the modes themselves are not as distinctive as can be among one another.

I thought the 2020 AMG C43 Sedan does not have piped in sound or artificial sound generator coming from the speakers. I recall there being a large thread on that discussion somewhere on this forum.
They all do, all years, just different implementations.
Old 08-07-2020, 07:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'17 C43 Sedan (gone), '08 Evo X MR, '20 C43 Sedan
I'm not sure I buy the exhaust noise being piped into the cabin/mimicked by the speakers, but hey, if it is, it's not very intrusive and doesn't really inspire much emotion in me. To the guys saying they got the emotive start to work for them.. lucky you.. It doesn't do anything for me at all (US). The only "emotive" start I get is the cold startup. I'm sure my neighbors appreciate that, though

Coming from a '17 with PE exhaust to a '20 with PE exhaust.. this things ----ing broken for sure. I've caught mine doing this same "stuck-open" thing a few times now, and toggling PE on/off fixed it both times. The valves definitely seem to stick open as the sound level is exactly the same as when I run with the valve servos unplugged, and not the partial-open it does when PE is switched on via the button.

As a side note, I've confirmed now in the '20 as well (after having had my '17 that way for a year), if you really want the sound constantly, you can unplug the valve controllers and tuck the connector up above the heat shielding -- no codes in either case.
Old 11-01-2020, 08:35 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
C43 coupe
Hi all, glad I found this thread.
I have the same issue with my 20 C43 wagon, just hit 2k kms so have finally spent some time with more aggressive driving. I had a 17 C43 coupe prior. This one just does not have any pops or crackles at all without a manual downshift. Transmission does not downshift at all compared to the 17.
I will be going to the dealer, hopefully this week, not sure what will come out of it.
Anyone have any updates from your cars?
Thanks