Car locks itself randomly

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-17-2020, 07:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C43
Car locks itself randomly

Hi people,

Today I went to a self service car wash and once i started washing the car, this got itself weirdly locking and unlocking itself.
At first i thought the buttons on the key were pressing while this one was in my pocket, but i figured out soon this was not he case. i actually took out the key from my pocket and held it in my hand when wiping my car afterwards. Thing is, it had a couple of “cycles” lock-unlock-lock not necessarily staying locked neither unlocked. It is really ****ing random.
I first noticed this behaviour while i took my car in dealership for replacing the LEDs in the mirrors, the ones that light the floor when you open the doors or unlcok the car. I guess they are called puddle lights, but i might be mistaking. This happened when working on passengers side mirror, but i considered the problemes were actually the “security feature” when you unlock the car and do not open the driver door, it self locks after 15 seconds or so.
but today was a very weird, different, whole new level of ****ed up ****. I noticed the symptoms more when i had the water jet pointed at the mirror, but it might be just a coincidence...

any clues on what the hell should i tell MB to check?

thanks!
sorry for bad english
Old 03-17-2020, 09:09 PM

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts
nothing
Has happened to me as well when I was washing it. It doesn't bother me enough to be worthy of a dealership trip and driving a crappy 300 for a day.
Old 03-17-2020, 09:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 274 Likes on 204 Posts
'19 CLS450
LOL - there’s nothing wrong with your car. When you have the key in your pocket, outside of the vehicle, and you’re spraying at the car wash, it’s making the same contact with the door handle as if your had is touching it to lock/unlock. Leave the key in the cup holder, problem solved.
The following users liked this post:
DylanM (04-06-2020)
Old 03-17-2020, 09:56 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
C43
I have found that the water spray can activate the car's lock activating proximity sensors if you have the key in your pocket.

Leave the key in the car and problem should be resolved.

Old 03-18-2020, 12:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,565 Posts
2019 C63CS
Yes, that's absolutely normal as mentioned above and happens on any car with keyless lock/unlock. If you keep the key fob on your person while washing the car then the conductivity of the water through the nozzle is enough to trigger the capacitive sensors in the door handle into thinking that your hand is near it. Keep the key inside of the car or far enough away from it while washing the car.
Old 03-18-2020, 12:56 AM

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts
2014 E350 & 2017 GLE 400
As stated above that's part of the keyless go feature, with the key in your pocket then hitting the sensors in the door handles will cycle the lock and unlock feature. Put the key inside the car, problem solved.
Old 03-18-2020, 03:20 AM

C43
Originally Posted by DMWelk
As stated above that's part of the keyless go feature, with the key in your pocket then hitting the sensors in the door handles will cycle the lock and unlock feature. Put the key inside the car, problem solved.
Originally Posted by superswiss
Yes, that's absolutely normal as mentioned above and happens on any car with keyless lock/unlock. If you keep the key fob on your person while washing the car then the conductivity of the water through the nozzle is enough to trigger the capacitive sensors in the door handle into thinking that your hand is near it. Keep the key inside of the car or far enough away from it while washing the car.
Originally Posted by ///zhp04
I have found that the water spray can activate the car's lock activating proximity sensors if you have the key in your pocket.

Leave the key in the car and problem should be resolved.
Originally Posted by RichardCranium3
LOL - there’s nothing wrong with your car. When you have the key in your pocket, outside of the vehicle, and you’re spraying at the car wash, it’s making the same contact with the door handle as if your had is touching it to lock/unlock. Leave the key in the cup holder, problem solved.
okay, partly makes sense, but my panic is still kind of legit, because this is not the first time i washed the car at the very same carwash... and it did not behave like that. It only started after my leds were replaced....
Old 03-18-2020, 09:45 AM

Received 71 Likes on 42 Posts
2019 C43 AMG Coupe
If you're really concerned about it, take the key out of range next time you wash the car and see if it happens again. I'm confident what you are experiencing has nothing to do with your LEDs and is, instead, what the others on this thread have described.
Old 03-18-2020, 10:16 AM

C43
Originally Posted by batman719
If you're really concerned about it, take the key out of range next time you wash the car and see if it happens again. I'm confident what you are experiencing has nothing to do with your LEDs and is, instead, what the others on this thread have described.
thanks for the encouragement. I am
taking the car to the dealership tomorrow for tranny and ecu updates, touchpad replacement and will ask them to run a diag for the door as well.

Old 04-06-2020, 01:39 PM

2018 C43
Originally Posted by Sylviu22
thanks for the encouragement. I am
taking the car to the dealership tomorrow for tranny and ecu updates, touchpad replacement and will ask them to run a diag for the door as well.
idk if newer keyfob has an option to "lock" the key, if I tap lock button twice really quick, it disables my key so it won't work for proximity keyless entry and such until I press on unlock on the keyfob again.

I do this everytime I wash my car
Old 04-06-2020, 02:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,565 Posts
2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by dagan
idk if newer keyfob has an option to "lock" the key, if I tap lock button twice really quick, it disables my key so it won't work for proximity keyless entry and such until I press on unlock on the keyfob again.

I do this everytime I wash my car
Yes, that's another option. Clicking the lock button twice turns off the keyfob and yes, the newer keyfobs still have that feature. The newer keyfobs also have a motion sensor in them that turns them off if the key hasn't been moved for the last 2 minutes. This is so that thieves can't steel the car from your driveway by picking up the keyfob signal from inside your house and relay it to another device near your car to unlock and start it w/o being in possession of the key.