Sponsored by:

C43 face lift double fin grill blacked out/removal process

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-10-2020, 04:30 AM

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
C43 AMG
Post C43 face lift double fin grill blacked out/removal process

So I had trouble finding Ebay double fin grills for the face lift model, and wanted to see how it looked blacked out. There is one guy on FB that I saw and really liked the look.
I purchased a new plastidip called hyperdip, which has a satin sheen and a much better product over all with a smoother finish.
I had one shop say they can wrap it but the material on this fin has a weird finish that vinyl may not stick to. First few sprays on the hyperdip, it didn't look good, as if it wasn't sticking but a few coats in, it was sticking.
Perhaps Hydro dipping it would be the way to go, or wait a few more months for some ebay ones to appear.

*Disclaimer: I am not responsible for any damage to the vehicle, and this is just my personal experience with this process.
Tools I used:
thinnest flat head screwdriver (for the tabs)
Masking tape
UltraDip black
Drop Clothes (I did mine in the bath tub)
Spray on wax after the dip is hardened to give it a smooth finish
adult beverage (you'll have a lot of time in between spray coats, about 10 to 15 min or so)

Here is what I did to remove the fin/front star emblem:

You'll want to start by popping the hood and reaching behind the grill, put a flash light and you'll see the silver tabs that are attached to the double fin blades. Each blade has 2 pushable tabs on both sides, top and bottom near the end, and towards the middle. *You'll want to take off the AMG badge now too, this will save you a headache, i'll explain later why.

You'll want to push in the tab with the hand behind the grill and the other hand pulling on the blade. The blade themselves are flexible and I don't think they'll break easily. *take the damn AMG emblem off, you'll thank me later.

Now that the double fin blades are off, the front star emblem is attached to this sensor, which I decided to leave on since the cords seemed fragile. Now you have a dangling fin attached with this cord.

I couldn't get a good pic, but at your 4 oclock on this picture, there is a small tab you'll need to pull as you spin the black round thing attached to the sensor. A very thin flat nose screwdriver helps here. Leave the sensor thing attached to the car, and carefully set it in the hole and don't be like me where that thing fell out and scratched a little paint. Casualty of war I suppose.

Now the fins are off! Get it to your work station, and battle isn't over yet.. You'll need to remove the big round star emblem (which I found out the black glossy plastic piece around the star is easily scratched).

There is another sneaky tab here that needs to be lifted and rotated at the same time, and there is another tab on the other side but I couldn't get to it so I just released this tab using the flat head and rotating the star. Leverage sucks here so I used a towel on the star side.

I masked the inside area with the holes to the tabs etc., but I suppose this could be optional. I also masked the tabs for the fin to go in the grill for good measure. I used the Hyperdip black, so I can peel them off later if I don't like the look. Did about 8 coats, watch some YouTube video's on spraying techniques. (first couple coats, it doesn't look like it wants to stick but it will eventually).

now you reverse the steps above but I couldn't fully set the star emblem badge in to the push pins since leverage sucks. I half *** put the star, then once the fins were in, I had enough leverage to rotate the star and click them in. *I struggled putting back the right bottom fin and noticed the damn AMG emblem was getting caught in it due to it being a weird triangular shape which is wedged in. So take the AMG badge off if you haven't yet, they go on very last. snap snap snap you're done.
IF YOU HAVE THE AMG BADGE ON, THE RIGHT SIDE BOTTOM FIN WILL NOT FIT!

The middle clips around the star emblem required some palm pounding as you hold behind the grill. Sometime's you won't hear the click but double check from the engine bay that the clips are fully in. Tada! now you've successfully painted your double fin's and you'll get **** from the internet people since you used an rubber aerosol product on a entry model luxury grocery getter with a v6 and quad tips.

now be that guy taking pics of your car in a parking garage.

The finish doesn't quite match up to the paint, even with the Hyperdip, but it looks like a satin vinyl wrap. I'd prob go with a high gloss wrap or hydro dip.

now post on Instagram for internet points!

Old 07-10-2020, 08:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 274 Likes on 204 Posts
'19 CLS450
Originally Posted by c43PDX
and you'll get **** from the internet people since you used an rubber aerosol product on a entry model luxury grocery getter with a v6 and quad tips.
This guy gets it...
Old 07-10-2020, 08:50 AM

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
2016 C450 AMG, 2005 C230 Kompressor
Originally Posted by c43PDX

The finish doesn't quite match up to the paint, even with the Hyperdip, but it looks like a satin vinyl wrap. I'd prob go with a high gloss wrap or hydro dip.
I like the contrast of the satin. Maybe it'll grow on you since most others have the gloss.
Old 07-10-2020, 10:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 676 Likes on 533 Posts
c
can totally do it on the car if dipping.. I had mine done for a minute but went back to the stock look and buffed the silver plastic for a better sheen and finish.

then wrapped the splitter and buffed the grille