C450/C43 AMG
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P2407 Evap Code - Pops & crackles come and go.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-24-2020, 10:24 PM

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
C43
P2407 Evap Code - Pops & crackles come and go.

Just wanted to see if anyone else has come across this issue, I've searched high and low on the forums and been back and forth with my local dealership & tuner to see if anyone could find the culprit with no luck.

So just a little background info, car is pre-facelift with awe exhaust suite & ETG Tune (ecu tuning group)
What triggered this was, i started to notice a couple of months ago my pops and crackles would just disappear when letting off on the throttle. No check engine light at the time. I went and scanned the car & i had a P2407 trouble code pending. The code stated Evaporative Emission system Leak Detection Pump Sense Circuit Intermittent/Erratic. Upon clearing the code all the pops and crackles would come back. Then the code started come back more often so i went and replaced the Leak Detection Pump & Charcoal Canister, and the issue went away for a couple of weeks.

Then it started to pop up again, this time with a check engine light. I then just schedule an appointment with my local dealership (tune friendly). They diagnosed the trouble code and went ahead and replaced the Leak Detection Pump and Charcoal Canister with a brand new one, updated the ECU software to adjust the tolerances for the New Leak Detection Pump. This of course wiped my tune, but i was made aware of the update prior to them doing so. They even checked the Ohms on the wiring going to the pump to see if there was an issue there. (no problems found). I drove the car around on stock ecu software. Of course after a couple of days, the pops and crackles disappeared again. I scanned the car, same thing P2407. I had the car reflashed with my Tuner since the Tune was wiped when the dealership had updated my ECU.

And now today, i am back at square one.. Sometimes i could drive the car around for a couple of hours, and the pops and crackles would disappear. Same trouble code. Sometimes i could clear the trouble code, and i would have no issues for almost a week. Until of course the Pops and crackles disappear. I am at a standstill.

Any thoughts or insights? Anyone dealt with a similar issue?
Old 07-24-2020, 11:44 PM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
C43 AMG Sedan
You installed the tune after P2407 code come up the last time or before? Maybe its the tune.
Old 07-25-2020, 02:11 AM

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
C43
How sure are you the pump is not doing it’s job and you in fact have a leak?
Old 07-25-2020, 07:17 AM

C43
Originally Posted by mau108
You installed the tune after P2407 code come up the last time or before? Maybe its the tune.
the code comes up both with and without the tune unfortunately.

Originally Posted by Trekt43
How sure are you the pump is not doing it’s job and you in fact have a leak?
i am not to be honest, I know the dealership did not perform a smoke test. I even inquired about it but it did not see to be an area of concern to them.
Old 07-29-2021, 12:29 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
2015 GLK 350, 2020 SLC300, 2016 Golf R
any update?

Hey, wondering if you ever got this solved. I have a 2018 with 18k miles and a eurocharged stage 1. Today i started the car and had a p2407. Wondering if i should go the dealer route and if you found anything that could be helpful for them.

thanks
jeff
Old 07-29-2021, 10:43 PM

C43
Originally Posted by Peffy03
Hey, wondering if you ever got this solved. I have a 2018 with 18k miles and a eurocharged stage 1. Today i started the car and had a p2407. Wondering if i should go the dealer route and if you found anything that could be helpful for them.

thanks
jeff
Unfortunately I am still in the dark on this one. Changed the gas cap and still getting the same error. My best guess is I have a leak somewhere in my evap system.

Strange thing is if I drive around in comfort, no problem at all, a couple of drives in sport+ and it will trigger the “Evaporative Emission system Leak Detection Pump Sense Circuit Intermittent/Erratic.”

Let me know if you have any luck! I would love to solve this once and for all.

Old 07-30-2021, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by tgidave
Unfortunately I am still in the dark on this one. Changed the gas cap and still getting the same error. My best guess is I have a leak somewhere in my evap system.

Strange thing is if I drive around in comfort, no problem at all, a couple of drives in sport+ and it will trigger the “Evaporative Emission system Leak Detection Pump Sense Circuit Intermittent/Erratic.”

Let me know if you have any luck! I would love to solve this once and for all.
i called my buddy at the dealer yesterday they said they have seen it several times in all different vehicles. They usually reflash the module or replace the pump.
they have 3 pumps in stock so I think that’s the route they will take. It’s about 200$ but mine is under warranty. My appointment is on the 13th. We will see what happens
Old 07-30-2021, 10:36 AM

C43
Originally Posted by Peffy03
i called my buddy at the dealer yesterday they said they have seen it several times in all different vehicles. They usually reflash the module or replace the pump.
they have 3 pumps in stock so I think that’s the route they will take. It’s about 200$ but mine is under warranty. My appointment is on the 13th. We will see what happens
Let me know how your visit goes!
My dealer did both, no luck. They claim it was resolved lol.
Old 08-02-2021, 08:31 PM

So.. it went away after a few days. no pending no permanent no stored... just gone. sorry to not have more, ill update if it comes back.
Old 02-23-2023, 02:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes Benz GLE43
P2407

Hey Tgidave did you ever find out what the culprit was ? Replaced EVAP pump, charcoal canister, gas cap, as well as EVAP purge solenoid still getting the code.
Old 02-23-2023, 06:29 PM

Received 101 Likes on 84 Posts
2018 Mercedes C43 AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by Guapodee
Hey Tgidave did you ever find out what the culprit was ? Replaced EVAP pump, charcoal canister, gas cap, as well as EVAP purge solenoid still getting the code.
If they changed all the hardware downstream of the purge valve, consider looking at the connections in the engine bay. Particularly the high load purge line since you state it is related to Sport+ mode or perhaps driving style (aggressively)?

Seems like there are a lot of EVAP errors lately, I've been plagued with one for months but it is winter and I do not want to work on my car too much but this soft limp mode is killing me. Already paid the dealer $350 for a useless diagnosis where they couldn't even give me a straight answer. Took out the canister and vacuum tested it myself. Going to install a new one and hopefully that fixes my leakage problem. Hopefully it is not related to the routing in front as I do not want to take out a bunch of stuff to reach the high load line under the intake.
Old 02-24-2023, 10:01 AM

C43
I had no luck with this. The strange part is during the cold month's where it is below 0 degrees (Celsius) I am fine.
Doesn't matter the drive mode. Car is good.

The minute it starts to warm up, I intermittently have the same issue. One day Sport+ no problem. Another day, CEL. Car still runs fine just has P2407.
Its pretty frustrating, I did a lot of research amongst other forums and its a common problem with certain Volvo's too. Some people have a theory that its Gas Level related, others say its just poor LD Pumps failing. (i doubt this though)