C450/C43 AMG
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

‘20 C43 sedan - down on power - no codes . . .

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-18-2020, 04:48 PM

Received 110 Likes on 94 Posts
2021 M550i
is there another c43 at the dealership that you can drive and compare?
The following users liked this post:
zibby43 (09-18-2020)
Old 09-18-2020, 05:27 PM

Received 138 Likes on 121 Posts
2018 C43
Originally Posted by zibby43
Was told by SA that they recommend I continue to drive the car until I pass the break-in threshold of 1000 miles, before bringing it in to investigate the power loss further.

Which suggests 1 of 3 things: 1) The short-shifting in the automatic modes is some kind of software that keeps the revs down until the break-in period is achieved (I find that unlikely, as I haven't seen any information that would confirm this); 2) They just want the break-in to be over before they continue beating on it in the shop, replicating my problem; 3) They are punting on 3rd down.
The new c8 vette rpm only goes up to 4500 rpm during the 500 miles break in period.
zibby43 (09-18-2020)
Old 09-18-2020, 05:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 97 Likes on 82 Posts
'20 GLC300 SUV
Originally Posted by jhpmbusa
is there another c43 at the dealership that you can drive and compare?
I think that's a fantastic idea in the interim. I was just thinking the same. Going to take me a while to get these last 200+ miles on the clock, unless I decide to just go burn fuel for the sake of it.

For the first 640 miles, I adhered to the break-in perfectly. Lots of city driving to go up and down the gears, and on the highway, I always made sure to vary the top 3 cruising gears. I've only started beating on it a bit to figure out this power issue the past 140 miles. And only when the oil and transmission temperatures were where they need to be.

Originally Posted by stockbmw
The new c8 vette rpm only goes up to 4500 rpm during the 500 miles break in period.
You're 100% right about that. It's entirely within the realm of possibility that the software is short-shifting, even when I'm trying for the kickdown in S+, but it's still strange to me that I can't find anything official on whether the MY2019 and above cars are programmed to do this for the first 1,000 miles. All I know is that I had max power available from the start in my '18.

My eyes are so fixed on the HP gauge and speedo, I haven't paid as much attention to what's going on with the revs.

The fact that I can get to the 370+ mark doing 5th gear pulls in M suggests to me the car is getting enough air, etc. So I am leaning software right now. They seemed to reset the AMG Drive Unit to clear the low voltage fault code (which cleared my preferences on the AMG Drive Unit components on the steering wheel), but I wonder if something is still stored in other systems, as all of my other functions (seat positions, BT connectivity) remained unaffected after the battery replacement.

I 100% know now that my original battery was faulty on delivery. The day after the car was delivered, I already was at "Partly Charged" status. The new 12V battery has remained "Charged" every single day.
Old 09-24-2020, 12:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'20 GLC300 SUV
Drove 50 or so miles today.

This time I alternated between paying attention to the revs and the power output in C and S+ modes.

Car is clearly revving past 5k when WOT + kickdown. Was never able to break 300 horsepower on the Engine Data screen doing 0-60 an 5-60 runs.
Old 09-24-2020, 12:47 AM

2018 C43
Drove 50 or so miles today.

This time I alternated between paying attention to the revs and the power output in C and S+ modes.

Car is clearly revving past 5k when WOT + kickdown. Was never able to break 300 horsepower on the Engine Data screen doing 0-60 an 5-60 runs.
What's your 0-60 time? 4.5s or 5+?
Old 09-24-2020, 01:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'20 GLC300 SUV
What's your 0-60 time? 4.5s or 5+?
Great question and you anticipated one of my next two steps tomorrow. Going to test 0-60 from a dead stop with moderate brake boosting, while also taking extended video footage of the Engine Data screen.

It feels like 5+ seconds. I just don't get it. They tested for boost leaks when I had the battery replaced, and I can actually make the car pull like it should when doing 5th gear M pulls on the highway, but where the car *should* feel the strongest, in the low and midrange pulls in S+, it feels like I have boost for a few tenths of a second and then all the boost, power, and torque bleed away and the car sounds like a NA engine revving.

Like everything cuts out. Absolutely no ESP lights, and ambient temperatures/road conditions were perfect tonight.
Old 09-24-2020, 05:59 PM

2018 C43
Great question and you anticipated one of my next two steps tomorrow. Going to test 0-60 from a dead stop with moderate brake boosting, while also taking extended video footage of the Engine Data screen.

It feels like 5+ seconds. I just don't get it. They tested for boost leaks when I had the battery replaced, and I can actually make the car pull like it should when doing 5th gear M pulls on the highway, but where the car *should* feel the strongest, in the low and midrange pulls in S+, it feels like I have boost for a few tenths of a second and then all the boost, power, and torque bleed away and the car sounds like a NA engine revving.

Like everything cuts out. Absolutely no ESP lights, and ambient temperatures/road conditions were perfect tonight.
There is 0 to 60 built in timer for digital cluster optioned c43.
Old 09-24-2020, 11:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'20 GLC300 SUV
There is 0 to 60 built in timer for digital cluster optioned c43.
That's super helpful to know, as I have the digital cluster. I didn't know if Track Pace was required for that function.

I'm guessing it's under the AMG menu? I have seen the lap timer when messing around, but I usually keep it on fluid temps (left) and tire temps (right).

Old 09-25-2020, 09:14 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2020 C43 AMG Coupe
Was told by SA that they recommend I continue to drive the car until I pass the break-in threshold of 1000 miles, before bringing it in to investigate the power loss further.

Which suggests 1 of 3 things: 1) The short-shifting in the automatic modes is some kind of software that keeps the revs down until the break-in period is achieved (I find that unlikely, as I haven't seen any information that would confirm this); 2) They just want the break-in to be over before they continue beating on it in the shop, replicating my problem; 3) They are punting on 3rd down.
I just made it through the 1k mile break in period on my 2020 coupe. I can confirm there was no limiter on the power output or RPM's during this time.

That being said, it seem like there was a substantial learning curve that the ECU/TCU had to go through to adapt to my driving (or the other way around). The car definitely behaved weirdly/unexpectedly in a few different driving situations that initially had me nervous, but it all seems to be worked out now.
zibby43 (09-25-2020)
Old 09-25-2020, 12:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'20 GLC300 SUV
Originally Posted by Diirek
I just made it through the 1k mile break in period on my 2020 coupe. I can confirm there was no limiter on the power output or RPM's during this time.

That being said, it seem like there was a substantial learning curve that the ECU/TCU had to go through to adapt to my driving (or the other way around). The car definitely behaved weirdly/unexpectedly in a few different driving situations that initially had me nervous, but it all seems to be worked out now.
Thanks for the input. I’m trying to break through that 1000-mile threshold so I can feel a bit better about consistently beating on the car to do the testing I need.
Old 09-25-2020, 06:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'20 GLC300 SUV
Finally did some proper runs today after driving the car around in S+ for about an hour. Just letting the car get used to shifting more aggressively before starting. Just shy of 850 miles, so I don’t think beating on it a bit with the fluids warmed up is an issue.

Did a few 0-60 runs with my fiancée as a passenger (she did manual timing with the stopwatch on her iPhone), as there was no 0-60 timer in the absence of the Track Pace option (at least that I could find).

Started from a dead stop (no brake boosting), ESP off, and fiancée started timer when we started moving. She stopped when I called out 60.

4.9s on the first try. Given the reaction time between calling out 60 and her pressing stop (about 4 or 5 tenths judging on the average time she can start and stop the timer when moving), and using the slowest launch method of not brake boosting at all, I would say I was hitting 4.4s by just mashing the gas from a stop in S+.

Noticed I was hitting about 311 hp on the 0-60 runs, but 384 lb-ft on the torque meter every single time.

Just think you’re not going to see maxed out hp figures unless you’re really burying the throttle in a higher gear up beyond 60 mph.

Car felt like it was alive for the first time since the low voltage code/battery replacement.