C43 with Throttle Controller

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-02-2020, 03:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4,000 Likes on 2,665 Posts
2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by Diirek
What you are describing sounds great, but with the C43 it's just not my experience. The power delivery is not linear and often feels like a SEVERE hesitation. Unless you're manually shifting and into the powerband, the first inch of the pedal feels like a dead zone.

To add, my buddy has an early 2000's E55 AMG which is a N/A V8. His sprintbooster drastically changes the aggressiveness of the car - Absolutely no placebo there. He basically uses it as a make shift drive select for when he wants to get sideways.
Yes, it changes the throttle map. No doubt there. In our car it changes it on top of what the drive select modes already do. The more response you get down low the less of a response you get up high. It just shifts the curve and gives you more initial response with less pedal travel, but then the pedal is dead at the top. Pick your preference.
The following users liked this post:
Diirek (09-02-2020)
Old 09-02-2020, 04:01 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2020 C43 AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by superswiss
Yes, it changes the throttle map. No doubt there. In our car it changes it on top of what the drive select modes already do. The more response you get down low the less of a response you get up high. It just shifts the curve and gives you more initial response with less pedal travel, but then the pedal is dead at the top. Pick your preference.
haha nailed it! Thread closed
Old 09-02-2020, 05:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
haha nailed it! Thread closed
Perhaps it's important to understand how they change the map, though. These things don't change the ECU, so they can't make it do something it wasn't programmed to do anyway. These controllers sit between the throttle pedal and the ECU and all they do is pretend that the driver stepped on the throttle faster and harder than they actually did. So my point all along was don't be afraid of using the throttle. Instead of spending money on a circuit that pretends for you that you stabbed the throttle harder and faster, just do it yourself. They are very similar in their operation as the emergency brake booster our cars have. If they detect an emergency, they automatically increase brake force, because car manufacturers have found that many people are afraid of stepping on the brakes hard, so the booster simulate harder brake pedal application than the driver actually did. These throttle controllers are much the same. I can only recommended everyone to attend some driver's clinics. The AMG Driving Academy is a good one. They take you through various exercises such as braking and evasive maneuvers to really learn to trust the car with your inputs.
The following users liked this post:
Baldur! (09-03-2020)
Old 09-02-2020, 05:18 PM

Received 387 Likes on 248 Posts
Originally Posted by Ramsino
The issue to me isn't the delayed response in Comfort. It's the fact that the first 10% of pedal travel doesn't do much, and then all of a sudden the power comes rushing in, causing the car to lunge. The problem for me was dead pedal for the first couple inches of travel AND ALSO the lack of linearity.
Definitely don't have that issue with our C43.
Old 09-02-2020, 05:44 PM

2020 C43 AMG Coupe
Perhaps it's important to understand how they change the map, though. These things don't change the ECU, so they can't make it do something it wasn't programmed to do anyway. These controllers sit between the throttle pedal and the ECU and all they do is pretend that the driver stepped on the throttle faster and harder than they actually did. So my point all along was don't be afraid of using the throttle. Instead of spending money on a circuit that pretends for you that you stabbed the throttle harder and faster, just do it yourself. They are very similar in their operation as the emergency brake booster our cars have. If they detect an emergency, they automatically increase brake force, because car manufacturers have found that many people are afraid of stepping on the brakes hard, so the booster simulate harder brake pedal application than the driver actually did. These throttle controllers are much the same. I can only recommended everyone to attend some driver's clinics. The AMG Driving Academy is a good one. They take you through various exercises such as braking and evasive maneuvers to really learn to trust the car with your inputs.
Not entirely accurate. The mercedes pedals (and I'm sure other manufacturers as well), regardless of how quickly you push down the pedal, still ramp up the voltage with a delay to combat jerkiness, etc. This delay is in the control module in the pedal itself, not the ECU. The pedal tuner takes that initial voltage and ramps at a higher rate depending on what mode you are in.

It's clear as day if you just blip the throttle in PARK, with the controller on or off (takes gearing, engine load, etc. completely out of the picture). Same pedal travel, speed, whatever..... The RPM's climb higher and faster with the controller on because the pedal tuner overcompensates for voltage delay built into the pedal box transducer.

I may be new to the MB world, but I've been to multiple BMW sponsored track and autocross instructional events. If getting more response out my C43 was as easy as "giving it more throttle", I never would have started looking into throttle controllers in the first place.

Old 09-02-2020, 06:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Not entirely accurate. The mercedes pedals (and I'm sure other manufacturers as well), regardless of how quickly you push down the pedal, still ramp up the voltage with a delay to combat jerkiness, etc. This delay is in the control module in the pedal itself, not the ECU. The pedal tuner takes that initial voltage and ramps at a higher rate depending on what mode you are in.

It's clear as day if you just blip the throttle in PARK, with the controller on or off (takes gearing, engine load, etc. completely out of the picture). Same pedal travel, speed, whatever..... The RPM's climb higher and faster with the controller on because the pedal tuner overcompensates for voltage delay built into the pedal box transducer.

I may be new to the MB world, but I've been to multiple BMW sponsored track and autocross instructional events. If getting more response out my C43 was as easy as "giving it more throttle", I never would have started looking into throttle controllers in the first place.
That is the theory and what the marketing material says. I'm looking at the following graph they have on their site and yes, this supports what you are saying. Not so much that it ramps up quicker, but sooner. However, I have an issue with how that's possible, because the pedal tuner relies on the signal coming from the pedal itself. If that signal doesn't ramp up, then the pedal tuner has no way of telling that the driver actually applied throttle. You can see what I mean from the graph below 1/4 throttle. If the pedal signal indeed remains flat at zero almost all the way to 1/4 throttle how would the pedal tuner know that the pedal is even pressed? It would need an unflitered/undelayed signal from the pedal to produce it's own ramp. I agree, once the signal from the throttle pedal starts ramping up, they can overboost it as is shown starting at 1/4 throttle. But what they are showing below 1/4 throttle doesn't make sense to me, unless they can tap the raw signal from the throttle somehow and then ramp it themselves. Does that make sense?

Old 09-02-2020, 06:52 PM

2020 C43 AMG Coupe
That is the theory and what the marketing material says. I'm looking at the following graph they have on their site and yes, this supports what you are saying. Not so much that it ramps up quicker, but sooner. However, I have an issue with how that's possible, because the pedal tuner relies on the signal coming from the pedal itself. If that signal doesn't ramp up, then the pedal tuner has no way of telling that the driver actually applied throttle. You can see what I mean from the graph below 1/4 throttle. If the pedal signal indeed remains flat at zero almost all the way to 1/4 throttle how would the pedal tuner know that the pedal is even pressed? It would need an unflitered/undelayed signal from the pedal to produce it's own ramp. I agree, once the signal from the throttle pedal starts ramping up, they can overboost it as is shown starting at 1/4 throttle. But what they are showing below 1/4 throttle doesn't make sense to me, unless they can tap the raw signal from the throttle somehow and then ramp it themselves. Does that make sense?

Totally understand what you're saying. Perhaps the graph is showing the signal being sent to the throttle from the ECU, not the output of the pedal/pedal tuner???? I actually do believe the tuner takes the initial voltage and "estimates" your throttle input which is why these tuners come with such adjustability. The tuner I bought comes with 4 basic stages (Eco, City, Sport, Sport+) and 7 different levels of adjustment for each stage (-3/+3).

I haven't tried myself but there are reviews of Sport+ cranked all the way up hitting redline with a tap of the pedal. I love my C43 and just broke 1k miles so I'm not putting her through that.

Old 09-22-2021, 01:00 AM

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
C450 AMG
I've had my 2020 coupe for 1k miles. I don't do a lot of highway driving and always felt like the C43 was uninspiring on city and neighborhood streets. Different story on the highway but like I said, I spend most of time in the city.
​​​​​​I came from an ECU tuned BMW 328i that felt much more at home in my typical driving conditions. I would throw it into sport+ and always had instant torque as soon as I touched the pedal. My C43 always felt sluggish unless I was really getting into it, even in sport+ mode.

Yesterday I installed a throttle controller (Pedal Commander w/ BT) and what a difference. I always thought the C43 motor lacked torque or had serious turbo lag, but it's just *****ty Throttle mapping from the factory. To anyone who spends a majority of the time city driving, I'd highly recommend trying one out.

Also, get a unit with Bluetooth connectivity. The controllers are a little cheesy looking and do not belong in a Mercedes interior. Mount the controller somewhere accessible but out of site and make adjustments with your phone when necessary.

I just got my BMS Pedal Tuner today and installed it. You werent kidding! The throttle response is CRAZY better! Obviously it wont make the car faster, but it feels so much better and is way more fun to drive now. It removed the, what felt like 2 seconds of delay from a dead stop to movement after mashing the gas to an instant take off. I dont know about any of the other models out there, but if you have a C300, C400, C450 or C43... You definitely need to get one. You'll fall in love with your car all over again

Old 09-22-2021, 01:53 AM

Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts
C43
Originally Posted by gpouliniii
I just got my BMS Pedal Tuner today and installed it. You werent kidding! The throttle response is CRAZY better! Obviously it wont make the car faster, but it feels so much better and is way more fun to drive now. It removed the, what felt like 2 seconds of delay from a dead stop to movement after mashing the gas to an instant take off. I dont know about any of the other models out there, but if you have a C300, C400, C450 or C43... You definitely need to get one. You'll fall in love with your car all over again
Exactly! It's one of those products that sounds like it doesn't do much, but if you have a good one, such as Sprintbooster or BMS Pedal Tuner, it can really improve the driving experience. Definitely pricey for something that just shifts the pedal curve around and not adding any power, I get it, but it's worth it for some of us.
Old 09-22-2021, 03:54 AM

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts
S204 C250 CDI Sport
Horrible that first quarter of dead gas pedal .

If you also have that terrible what feels like a 2 second wait setting off there is a genuine gain to be had from not having a slow opening slow response throttle plate opening and why some 0-60 times are reduced , but that's not an intended outcome by the manufacturers .

Think a throttle plate can open no quicker than stamping your foot , think again non believers .

Old 09-22-2021, 03:58 AM

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts
S204 C250 CDI Sport
What you are describing sounds great, but with the C43 it's just not my experience. The power delivery is not linear and often feels like a SEVERE hesitation. Unless you're manually shifting and into the powerband, the first inch of the pedal feels like a dead zone.

To add, my buddy has an early 2000's E55 AMG which is a N/A V8. His sprintbooster drastically changes the aggressiveness of the car - Absolutely no placebo there. He basically uses it as a make shift drive select for when he wants to get sideways.