Sponsored by:

C43 2019 parking assist doesn't work on empty spaces

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-17-2020, 02:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2019 c43 sedan
C43 2019 parking assist doesn't work on empty spaces

The automatic parking assist feature works fine when there are two cars and exactly one spot in between them (both parallel and perpendicular)
However, it doesn't work when there are no cars in adjacent spaces.
Also when I expect the car to park in a perpendicular spot, it does parallel parking (when there are two adjacent empty perpendicular spaces )

Anyone else face this issue ? Is there a solution for this ?
Not sure what I'm doing wrong . Any help appreciated
Old 09-17-2020, 03:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,565 Posts
2019 C63CS
Yes, that's how it works. The system doesn't see the actual parking space as you think it does. It uses the ultrasonic sensors to measure the space between two cars. There must be a car at both ends and one space in between large enough to either park parallel or perpendicular. If it's large enough to fit the length of the car, then it will parallel park and if it's large enough to fit the width of the car and deep enough to fit the length of the car it will park perpendicular. It doesn't see the lines of the parking spots. It just parks centered between the adjacent cars, which also means if the other cars are not parked properly within their lines, then your car will also not be parked properly.

The system is honestly somewhat of a gimmick. It does work pretty well within the documented limitations, though, and those are pretty well explained in the owner's manual. I've used it at the beginning before I had a proper feel for the dimensions of the car, but pretty much haven't used it anymore for the last 12 months or so. Occasionally I use it just to see if it still works, and sometimes I use it if it's too dark and I can't really see the curb with the cameras, but the vast majority of time I park myself. It's quicker and I'm in the spot the way I want the first time. I try not to park perpendicular between other cars anyway, and generally always look for end spots with extra space so I can park further away from the other cars to avoid door dings. The system doesn't handle that. The 360 camera with all its different views is phenomenal to park the car myself w/o risk of curbing my wheels etc.
The following users liked this post:
loadedbullet (09-17-2020)