Sponsored by:

What car would you go to after a C43

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-23-2020, 04:07 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
C43 AMG
Originally Posted by eatmydust
You got a lemon. Everyone i know with a c43 or even a c300 has none of those issues. Lemons happen.

My next car, would be a E63s.
The question is if MB will feel the same way and buy the car back.
Old 11-23-2020, 04:22 PM

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
2020 C43, 2008 E350
Originally Posted by W205_AMG
The question is if MB will feel the same way and buy the car back.
Yeah thats the hard part.. a friend of mine had a 2019 audi, basically a lemon full of issues. Took a few months for dealer to accept it as a lemon, and he took a lawyer on as well which helped after the 2nd month of complaints. However, he was first owner.
Old 11-23-2020, 04:31 PM

C43 AMG
Yeah thats the hard part.. a friend of mine had a 2019 audi, basically a lemon full of issues. Took a few months for dealer to accept it as a lemon, and he took a lawyer on as well which helped after the 2nd month of complaints. However, he was first owner.
First owner is key. I guess in my state lemon laws don't apply to a second owner. My argument is that I bought the car with literally 1080 miles on it. I feel like a lawyer could argue that anyone could reasonable consider this still a "new" vehicle, but how much is a lawyer going to cost me vs. just dumping the car at Carmax or something.
Old 11-23-2020, 04:37 PM

2020 C43, 2008 E350
First owner is key. I guess in my state lemon laws don't apply to a second owner. My argument is that I bought the car with literally 1080 miles on it. I feel like a lawyer could argue that anyone could reasonable consider this still a "new" vehicle, but how much is a lawyer going to cost me vs. just dumping the car at Carmax or something.
Yeah that will be complicated. Best bet is to get a free car max quote and see what difference you are looking at. Or try those new pick up at your home companies they offer good prices.

When the dealer service test drove car did they observe the issues you are stating?
Old 11-23-2020, 04:41 PM

2020 C43, 2008 E350
My 2020 c43 transmission is butter. Maybe it changed with 2020 model year? I actually test drove m340 and s4, and I liked the c43 trans better.
Old 11-23-2020, 07:50 PM

Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts
C43
My 2020 c43 transmission is butter. Maybe it changed with 2020 model year? I actually test drove m340 and s4, and I liked the c43 trans better.
I have a 2020 C43 and the transmission is smooth. The only roughness is the downshift from 2nd to 1st gear. It's practically impossible to stop smoothly. I've heard that this is a common issue so didn't bother to bring it to the dealer, but if you're saying otherwise, I may just bring my car in.
Old 11-28-2020, 08:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2020 C43 AMG
  • Driver side blind spot monitor will illuminate without cars around and stay on. Constantly beeping if I change lanes or turn.
  • HUD generated a large black circle in the center which then slowly faded back in to normal viewing.
  • Auto stop-start no longer works.
  • On at least 3 occasions, the car has though I was about to read end or back up into a non-existent object and started applying auto braking. The first time was while cruising at low speeds and was pretty frightening the first time it happened. Second and third times were in parking lots at less than 5mph.
So far Mercedes keeps saying everything checks fine. However here is what they have done to remedy so far:
  • Initially did a cable swap (as they lightly explained) in my rear bumper to address the blind spot issue. No positive effect.
  • Second trip for blind spot issue and they claimed "no fault found" on a 10-15 minute drive. They also claimed "it's the warm weather that does it." This is also when they replaced the drive shaft for insane vibration at highway speeds.
  • Third trip in for first year service:
    • Replaced the HUD - So far no issues since replacement.
    • Replaced the rear-driver side sensor - Blind spot monitor actually seems to be worse now.
      • Bumper now creaks when you touch it.
The car is in for the 4th time as I write this. Apparently they were "able to get the starter battery to fail a test" so thats at least being replaced. I'm so disappointed in this car and I truthfully feel at this point its a lemon and will be having my second discussion with MBUSA after I get the car back if there are still issues. However after my first discussion with them (after the 3rd trip to service) they didn't seem like they were going to be very helpful.

Make sure they replace your starter battery with a factory Mercedes battery and not an aftermarket one. Mercedes has had batteries on back order for a while now and we can’t even get them currently. It’s been a big mess.
Old 11-28-2020, 11:49 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2019 CLS 450 | 2018 CLA 45 AMG
Originally Posted by Hungalow
Agree++ gotta go up... not sideways... like the wife she better be hotter than what I already got. Quirky car the c43 is and it is not for everybody but I bang her good. A supercharged Camaro 650hp will run ya 73k so lots of options. Question is what you looking for.? Hp ..a tire burner..corner carver...or somewhere between. Many brands and models fit the script so enjoy the process of squeezing all the *******..lol
I just wanted to put up a quick note about the above. The 6th Gen Camaro ZL1 is an absolute monster. I had extensive track time in mine and it was far better than I was. The 10L90 transmission is world class. Yes, I traded for my CLS 450. I wanted a more luxurious ride and more people hauling capabilities. The interiors are worlds apart. I am pleased with the CLS. However, for a car that I paid ~$65K for in 2018, it is hard to explain to people how good the ZL1 is. In our AMG Driving Academy event at COTA in December of 2019, I was able to drive both the AMG GT-S and the AMG GT-R at speed. IMHO, the ZL1 pulled harder than either. In sheer track performance, it slotted between the GT-S and GT-R with the R having more mechanical grip and being able to rotate with late trail braking. The GT-S was tail happy (over-steer can be fun - but not necessarily the fastest).

Old 12-14-2020, 09:24 AM

C43 AMG
Update: After 3 weeks I got the car back. The dealer opened a case with Mercedes in Germany who had them try a number of different things to resolve the problem. This ultimately lead to a new rear bumper. I now have a "replacement" bumper that has been painted outside of Mercedes (color marches probably 95%. Bit off but i'm also looking for issues.) In my first weekend of driving the car, I've noticed that sadly the issue still persists. I'm going to give it a few days of driving and if I still notice all the issues, i'll re-open my case with MBUSA and request a buyback inquiry (they offered to do this when I originally opened my case.)

Unreal, this car. I haven't ever been more disappointed with.a purchase in my life. I understand that things happen and lemons exist, but all the trips to the dealer, lack of car, etc. etc. is draining. GF's 5 year old Rav4 works great..
Old 12-14-2020, 12:58 PM

Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts
C43
Update: After 3 weeks I got the car back. The dealer opened a case with Mercedes in Germany who had them try a number of different things to resolve the problem. This ultimately lead to a new rear bumper. I now have a "replacement" bumper that has been painted outside of Mercedes (color marches probably 95%. Bit off but i'm also looking for issues.) In my first weekend of driving the car, I've noticed that sadly the issue still persists. I'm going to give it a few days of driving and if I still notice all the issues, i'll re-open my case with MBUSA and request a buyback inquiry (they offered to do this when I originally opened my case.)

Unreal, this car. I haven't ever been more disappointed with.a purchase in my life. I understand that things happen and lemons exist, but all the trips to the dealer, lack of car, etc. etc. is draining. GF's 5 year old Rav4 works great..
Yup, all it takes is one bad experience and people will abandon an entire brand, usually forever. That's why quality control is so important.

Last edited by Ramsino; 12-14-2020 at 01:00 PM.
Old 12-14-2020, 01:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,461 Likes on 964 Posts
No more MB:(
I'd go for a 2020 M4 competition. C43's are so hit or miss, some people have no issues and others can't wait to get rid of theirs.
Old 12-14-2020, 05:49 PM

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts
nothing
Originally Posted by places
I'd go for a 2020 M4 competition. C43's are so hit or miss, some people have no issues and others can't wait to get rid of theirs.
I have owned a bunch of bimmers including a M4. Not to be a broken record but like a lot of people I just don't understand that grille. If they wanted to make it larger why not make it a little like M5? Still large and imposing but more tasteful.
Old 12-15-2020, 03:29 PM

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts
2020 C43 sedan(hers), 2021 Porsche 992 TurboS(his)
After enjoying our 2017 C43for 3 years we went with a................. 2020 C43.

Per above comments, the transmission in the 2020 is MUCH IMPROVED over the 2017 C43 transmission.
No regrets!

Last edited by 1Gunner; 12-15-2020 at 03:33 PM.
The following users liked this post:
eatmydust (12-15-2020)
Old 12-15-2020, 04:44 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
C43 coupe
I followed a similar path. 2017 C43 Coupe to 2020 C43 Wagon.
Love the new digital dash.
A couple of items without deviating too much from this thread.
@1Gunner,
my car does not provide any more pops, cracks at lift off of hard acceleration in S+
Suspension now feels like I have already switched out the run flats even when I have not.
Has not leap-frogged once! But does feel like the transmission no longer downshifts as much, as quickly when decelerating.

Your experience?
Old 12-15-2020, 05:04 PM

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts
2020 C43 sedan(hers), 2021 Porsche 992 TurboS(his)
Originally Posted by RivSr
I followed a similar path. 2017 C43 Coupe to 2020 C43 Wagon.
Love the new digital dash.
A couple of items without deviating too much from this thread.
@1Gunner,
my car does not provide any more pops, cracks at lift off of hard acceleration in S+
Suspension now feels like I have already switched out the run flats even when I have not.
Has not leap-frogged once! But does feel like the transmission no longer downshifts as much, as quickly when decelerating.

Your experience?
Your experience mirrors mine for the most part.
I've also had zero herky jerky 1st gear starts from S+ with the 2020. It was the single most annoying aspect of the 2017 C43!!!
I immediately swapped out my run flats for Michelin PS4S. Much nicer! Will reinstall the RFs when lease is due in ~3yrs.
Whenever I'm in S+ I leave in drive but actuate much of the up-down gear shifting from the paddles, unless checking 0-60 on Dragy, then I let the trans do its own shifting.
The new dash and the steering wheel with dynamic mode select are BIG pluses.
Old 12-15-2020, 05:30 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
C43 coupe

yes the steering wheel is great too!
I still have one summer left on my A/S 3's, but will definitely get the PS4S next time.
Those Pirelli's go into storage next summer.
Old 11-15-2022, 07:56 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,502 Likes on 2,128 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
So... uh... any "OGs" or new-to-you owners still have their W/C/S/A 205 C 43? Still like it, still experience the usual/or unusual "characteristics" these cars are known to have? Was it solved or you just lived with it (like me for example rear diff whine, harmonic vibration, usual rattles and creaks for the 205 in general).

What do you still like and/or still dislike about it?

For those who moved on, curious what you all decided. Any brand and model is welcome : ) (hope OP doesn't mind me using their thread for this as topic is pretty relevant) , anyone considering the W206 C 43 (I am, although I will miss the M276 DELA 30)
Old 11-15-2022, 10:56 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
C43 Coupe
Originally Posted by W205C43PFL
So... uh... any "OGs" or new-to-you owners still have their W/C/S/A 205 C 43? Still like it, still experience the usual/or unusual "characteristics" these cars are known to have? Was it solved or you just lived with it (like me for example rear diff whine, harmonic vibration, usual rattles and creaks for the 205 in general).

For those who moved on, curious what you all decided. Any brand and model is welcome : ) (hope OP doesn't mind me using their thread for this as topic is pretty relevant) , anyone considering the W206 C 43 (I am, although I will miss the M276 DELA 30)
What's OG?
Still have my 17 C205, still liking it the same way as the first day of ownership. It had the buckling issues from gear 1 to 2 at S+, but had disappeared since the first few months and never came back.
I plan on keeping the car for awhile as it has been really solid. Next car will probably won't be a replacement but perhaps a compact utility (SUV? pickup?) for practicality and my sports equipment. Probably a used but not too dated. Ranger Raptor? Perhaps a Bronco for its modularity and the washable interior floors? Wish list for now
The favorite part is still the active exhaust. However, I don't use it as often. I cherish those moments even more when I activate it just at less busy areas on outskirts. There's no point to be loud in the city - too obnoxious for me now and it's nothing but annoyance to people outside of my car. I feel that way walking in busy streets when bikes and Lambos purposefully blast their exhausts in the busiest part of town.

The W206 does look pretty. Every bit of the car has been updated, especially the interior tech. I'm eager to see what the CLE will be like, though.

Last edited by mcschan86; 11-15-2022 at 11:00 PM.
Old 11-16-2022, 10:42 AM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by mcschan86
What's OG?
Still have my 17 C205, still liking it the same way as the first day of ownership. It had the buckling issues from gear 1 to 2 at S+, but had disappeared since the first few months and never came back.
I plan on keeping the car for awhile as it has been really solid. Next car will probably won't be a replacement but perhaps a compact utility (SUV? pickup?) for practicality and my sports equipment. Probably a used but not too dated. Ranger Raptor? Perhaps a Bronco for its modularity and the washable interior floors? Wish list for now
The favorite part is still the active exhaust. However, I don't use it as often. I cherish those moments even more when I activate it just at less busy areas on outskirts. There's no point to be loud in the city - too obnoxious for me now and it's nothing but annoyance to people outside of my car. I feel that way walking in busy streets when bikes and Lambos purposefully blast their exhausts in the busiest part of town.

The W206 does look pretty. Every bit of the car has been updated, especially the interior tech. I'm eager to see what the CLE will be like, though.
I appreciate your response to my post, sorry for the confusion "OG" as in those owners who bought the car since new (like you and me) and new-to-you as in those who bought the vehicle used, this matters as the experience will be different with the car but both experiences are welcomed.

I am glad to hear the bucking issue is gone for you, the easy fix to me is upshift when it starts but numerous TCU updates mitigated the effect for me. I am glad to hear you have no issues with driveshaft vibration in the highway or differential whining which I have yet solve. I do very much love the vehicle as well and find those annoyances not enough to suppress my enjoyment with the car overall.
Here is what I was talking about in case you were curious:
https://mbworld.org/forums/c450-c43-...-thoughts.html
https://mbworld.org/forums/c450-c43-...igh-speed.html

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on your replacement vehicle, I understand different needs requires different vehicles I am not in the market for an SUV but seems like you are, good luck with the car shopping though : )

Totally agree, the PE is one of the many things I love about the car. I understand that you want to respect pedestrians with having the exhaust sound as low as possible, I am sure you are a nice neighbour too in the mornings, glad you got the PE because the PE is actually quieter than standard sport exhaust with valves closed.

The CLE will be interesting and I understand why you are considering that coming from the C205, hopefully it comes out sooner rather than later so we can do a lot of research on that vehicle.
Old 11-16-2022, 06:57 PM

Received 310 Likes on 236 Posts
C43
Originally Posted by W205C43PFL

After three years in my PFL c43 coupe, tuned/modified three weeks into ownership, I am still enamored with it. Looks, corning and acceleration - I could not be happier (and this is coming from a long list of fast/modified cars). As it pertains to the “next” car, I would like an m4 comp xDrive (if the wifey vehemently objects to the cost of my preferred next car), or a 2022 911 Turbo S (the preferred car). I am about two years from buying the next car.
Old 11-16-2022, 11:47 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by C43HeartBoost
After three years in my PFL c43 coupe, tuned/modified three weeks into ownership, I am still enamored with it. Looks, corning and acceleration - I could not be happier (and this is coming from a long list of fast/modified cars). As it pertains to the “next” car, I would like an m4 comp xDrive (if the wifey vehemently objects to the cost of my preferred next car), or a 2022 911 Turbo S (the preferred car). I am about two years from buying the next car.
Thanks for your comment on my post!

Glad to hear it serving you this well! I am glad to hear you also don't have the rear diff whine, driveshaft vibration issue. Curious, did you perform any TCU updates and ECU (or ME module) updates during the duration of the ownership, for example one update removed the shift UP! indicator in manual mode.

Good list of potential cars but I am not sure if you will find the M4 comp fun enough, if I recalled correctly, someone complained the vehicle is too boring in city streets and highway driving, they say it is fast but boring if not on a track. The Turbo S on the other hand is a different story I think.
Old 11-16-2022, 11:58 PM
Out Of Control!!

Edited to add:

I found the video I came across but obviously everyone's opinion varies, for example the vehicle might be boring to him but not to you:
youtu.be/5PtYgs_W6C0?t=278 (skip to 4:38)
I found the thread where a forum member here stated that a 991.2 GT3 RS is boring which again is their personal experience, you might not find it boring, maybe the Turbo S indeed won't be boring for you as you don't have to rev it so high to make it fun unlike the GT3 RS:
https://mbworld.org/forums/w213-amg/...ml#post8634847

Last edited by W205C43PFL; 11-17-2022 at 12:13 AM.
Old 11-17-2022, 11:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 193 Likes on 172 Posts
Amg C43
I had a cpo ‘19 c43 for 15 months and it had its share of problems. Water leaking through the a pillar was one that could not be fixed so I had to get rid of it. My dealer got me $4k from Mercedes’ as a trade credit. I couldn’t find a car that was as much fun and that I could afford. So I got a 2020 c43. There are better and nicer cars but for the price point it’s great.
Old 11-17-2022, 02:21 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by MaverickC43
I had a cpo ‘19 c43 for 15 months and it had its share of problems. Water leaking through the a pillar was one that could not be fixed so I had to get rid of it. My dealer got me $4k from Mercedes’ as a trade credit. I couldn’t find a car that was as much fun and that I could afford. So I got a 2020 c43. There are better and nicer cars but for the price point it’s great.
Thanks for your reply to my post. I heard about your experience with it and I still feel sorry that you had to deal with that. I hope you have none of those issues on the 2020 C 43. Enjoy your car! I agree there are not a lot of good options out there at the price point and the fun it comes with and the adequate power.
Old 11-17-2022, 02:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 193 Likes on 172 Posts
Amg C43
I hope I will too. But if it was not for the credit I don’t think I would have gotten another Benz, at least not right now

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What car would you go to after a C43