Should I Buy A C43 AMG?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-05-2020, 07:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4,000 Likes on 2,665 Posts
2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by Ramsino
I purchased a 2020 C43 in July of this year and shifting into 1st gear is still quite jerky. Maybe there are differences depending on where the car is made?
The differences are mainly in the adaptations based on personal driving style and what modes people drive in for which situations. FWIW, my C63 at the beginning insisted on downshifting all the way to 1st gear when coming to a stop and this was jerky. After a while it stopped doing that and now it only downshifts to 2nd when I come to a stop, and once I'm completely stopped for more than a fraction of a second it downshift to 1st. This means that with short stops, I pull off in 2nd gear again and only after a full stop will I pull off in 1st. I'm not entirely sure what I did and what made it change this behavior, but it's all in the adaptations. BTW, the change for me happened somewhere around 7-8k miles after the car had returned from my ED trip and I started to drive around town more than I did in Europe. In Europe for the first 6-7k miles I was mainly driving surface roads and Autobahn, so it didn't have a chance to learn my city/town driving style.
Old 12-06-2020, 10:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 690 Likes on 540 Posts
c
Originally Posted by superswiss
The differences are mainly in the adaptations based on personal driving style and what modes people drive in for which situations. FWIW, my C63 at the beginning insisted on downshifting all the way to 1st gear when coming to a stop and this was jerky. After a while it stopped doing that and now it only downshifts to 2nd when I come to a stop, and once I'm completely stopped for more than a fraction of a second it downshift to 1st. This means that with short stops, I pull off in 2nd gear again and only after a full stop will I pull off in 1st. I'm not entirely sure what I did and what made it change this behavior, but it's all in the adaptations. BTW, the change for me happened somewhere around 7-8k miles after the car had returned from my ED trip and I started to drive around town more than I did in Europe. In Europe for the first 6-7k miles I was mainly driving surface roads and Autobahn, so it didn't have a chance to learn my city/town driving style.
my car also does this. definitely way better than dropping to first right before hitting the throttle again
Old 12-06-2020, 01:43 PM

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts
2020 C43 sedan(hers), 2021 Porsche 992 TurboS(his)
Originally Posted by Ramsino
I purchased a 2020 C43 in July of this year and shifting into 1st gear is still quite jerky. Maybe there are differences depending on where the car is made?
I am referring to starting from a dead stop in S+. The 2017 would on occasion (not every time, but often enough to annoy!!) make the car lurch in a herky jerky fashion due to the overly sensitive S+ throttle pedal mapping. It was avoided by upshifting to 2nd gear before driving off from a stop.

This has been corrected in the 2020 and never once have I experienced what the 2017 showed!! Driving off from a dead stop in S+ in 1st gear no longer has the issues that the 2017 had.

Last edited by 1Gunner; 12-06-2020 at 01:47 PM.
Old 12-06-2020, 01:45 PM

Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts
C43
Originally Posted by 1Gunner
I am referring to starting from a dead stop in S+. The 2017 would on occasion (not every time, but often enough to annoy!!) make the car lurch in a herky jerky fashion due to the overly sensitive throttle pedal mapping.
This has been corrected in the 2020 and never once have I experienced what the 2017 showed!!
Oh, got it. Yeah, from a stop, shifting up in gears are okay. 1st gear is still super short and I can feel it but it is controllable. Shifting down into 2nd then 1st is still jerky for me..
Old 04-10-2021, 12:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No
Maintenance Schedule

Thanks for all your helpful input so far.
  1. Hopefully there are some time-served owners in here that can advise their costs in servicing the car? I can't see it being much more expensive than my recent cars?
  2. Does anyone have a maintenance schedule for a 2018 C43?
  3. Apps/ diagnostic-units to do your own maintenance recommendations?
Hope I'm not taking the mickey; doing my due-diligence, want to own my next car for another 15 years or so like my last 350Z.
Old 04-10-2021, 05:45 PM

Received 312 Likes on 237 Posts
C43
I was hoping this 5 month old thread was updated to report that you pulled the trigger and bought a c43.
Old 04-10-2021, 08:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C43 AMG
Originally Posted by Dalski
  1. Hopefully there are some time-served owners in here that can advise their costs in servicing the car? I can't see it being much more expensive than my recent cars?
Hope I'm not taking the mickey; doing my due-diligence, want to own my next car for another 15 years or so like my last 350Z.
I can’t answer all your questions, but as far as the maintenance, I bought a CPO and decided to prepay for the A and B services. This is schedule, and from what I’ve been told and have read, you would be looking at $500 plus for each service:

[img]blob:https://mbworld.org/2bc7e3bf-6945-4555-9ec7-bf7a06970a0d[/img]

Old 04-13-2021, 11:25 AM

Received 75 Likes on 54 Posts
Acura TL-SH, among others
Originally Posted by Dalski
15 years with any Euro import is going to be more expensive than a 350z by far. My recommendation is to find a good MB mechanic that isn't the dealership and bring your car there. When it comes time for maintenance items like brakes, find aftermarket parts, not MB original.
Old 11-30-2021, 01:51 AM

2018 C43
Hi, I have a C43, love most things about it but if you’re looking for a comfortable ride walk away from this car. It is such a hard bumpy ride (even in Comfort mode) Whenever I raise the issue with the dealership they just tell me it’s because it’s a sports/AMG. I ask whether changing the tyres would help and apparently not. 3 years on and still hard even more recently. At recent service was shockies need replacing, something about a leak. It’s out of warranty but MB will cover …$2800AUS)
Old 11-30-2021, 02:13 AM

Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts
C43
Originally Posted by speranza
Hi, I have a C43, love most things about it but if you’re looking for a comfortable ride walk away from this car. It is such a hard bumpy ride (even in Comfort mode) Whenever I raise the issue with the dealership they just tell me it’s because it’s a sports/AMG. I ask whether changing the tyres would help and apparently not. 3 years on and still hard even more recently. At recent service was shockies need replacing, something about a leak. It’s out of warranty but MB will cover …$2800AUS)
Had my shock replaced as well, it was also covered. Yeah, I would say if you came from an Audi, Toyota, Lexus, then the C43 will feel pretty rough. Changing the stock run flats out for Michelin AS4 or PS4S helps a lot. I currently have PS4S on mine but will go with the AS4 next. My buddy has the same car on AS4 and it is noticeably quieter. The PS4S offers a bit more grip, but if you're not tracking, you won't notice it. The AS4 feels exactly the same except a bit quieter. If anything, switch out the run flats simply because it's so freaking stiff, it literally feels like hard plastic. A lot of people, including those on here, have cracked their wheels when going over just average sized potholes since the shock transfers through the run flats a lot.
Old 11-30-2021, 03:17 AM

2018 C43
Thank you so much for that information, my rear tyres need changing so I will look into it.
Old 12-08-2021, 08:57 PM

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
2017 c43
I truly believe C43 is the best bank for the buck! If I had a bit more of a budget the '22 audi RS3 with its insane 3.2 0-60 is just bloody impressive. However personally I am much more attracted to the RS5 or even C43 over the RS3