Sponsored by:

Blown engine or gasket leak?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-19-2020, 06:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C450 AMG
Originally Posted by hc_416
he is really tuned by AMR? Also what are tbe mods to the car? Running e30 etc?
literally just the rv3.1 tune, had a tcu tune ready to go in hand but never made it into the car
Old 12-19-2020, 06:49 PM

C450 AMG
Originally Posted by CarHopper
I'd love to see what the top of the piston looks like. Also, did they just scope 1 cylinder? Or look at the others as well?
No photos of top of cylinder unfortunately.

they only borescoped cyl 6 as far as i know.
heres the exact service note leading to why

“Cylinder leak down test of cylinder #6 revealed 92% leakage through piston / cylinder wall. Compression leaking into crankcase system.”

compression was EXTREMELY low compared to others
Old 12-19-2020, 06:53 PM

C450 AMG
Originally Posted by chassis
Possibilities:

- excessive combustion pressure
- misfire/detonation
- excessive temperature
- fatigue caused by repeated exposure to the above
my guess is a healthy combination of all the above. Was only a matter of time. Shame
The following users liked this post:
chassis (12-19-2020)
Old 12-19-2020, 07:03 PM

C450 AMG
Thank you to everyone on your replies, opinions, advice, and deductions. Unfortunately im walking away from it as much as it pains me. Theres just no situation where the numbers work out in my favor. Its a damn shame, it was only mine for a year. I would love to know when, where, and what exactly went wrong but there’s endless possibilities. As far as AMR, its easy to point fingers but in the end i chose to get the tune and like i said there’s endless possibilities on how it happened. If they choose to chime in cool, if not thats cool too. I know they’re a touchy subject, so ill leave it at that.

maybe ill snag a c43 in the future, loved the car. Who knows. Thanks again all. Happy holidays
AMGiggity (12-19-2020)
Old 12-19-2020, 08:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 911 Likes on 641 Posts
E63S | X5
Definitely made the right decision here.

It sucks, but it happens. Have a drink, enjoy the holidays, and hope you don't lose faith in the brand and we see you back at some point in time.

Tjmcstay (12-19-2020)
Old 12-19-2020, 08:31 PM

Received 176 Likes on 104 Posts
2020 GLC 63
Sorry about your engine, possibly the "burble tune"?

To get burbles, tuners add fuel under deceleration (low load) and retard timing. The unburned fuel passes through the cylinder and ignites in the exhaust making all the pops and bangs. Similar method is used in racing applications, a small amount of fuel is used at low-load/high-rpm to cool down the cylinder, which creates a couple of pops and occasional flames. However, making the car pop and bang all the times requires more fuel more frequently. The excessive fuel can wash-down the cylinder wall from the lubricating oil leaving the engine with metal ring on metal wall.
Tjmcstay (12-19-2020)
Old 12-19-2020, 08:55 PM

C450 AMG
Originally Posted by 18bora
Sorry about your engine, possibly the "burble tune"?

To get burbles, tuners add fuel under deceleration (low load) and retard timing. The unburned fuel passes through the cylinder and ignites in the exhaust making all the pops and bangs. Similar method is used in racing applications, a small amount of fuel is used at low-load/high-rpm to cool down the cylinder, which creates a couple of pops and occasional flames. However, making the car pop and bang all the times requires more fuel more frequently. The excessive fuel can wash-down the cylinder wall from the lubricating oil leaving the engine with metal ring on metal wall.
this is honestly probable. The burbles werent as aggressive as ive seen on others but excessive fuel is excessive fuel.
Old 12-21-2020, 07:59 AM

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts
'15 C400 and '15 ML350
OP, were you driving hard when the issue happened? What fuel do you run? Also, how long did you have the tune on the car?
Old 12-21-2020, 11:10 AM

C450 AMG
Originally Posted by MatthewJ
OP, were you driving hard when the issue happened? What fuel do you run? Also, how long did you have the tune on the car?
wish i could say i was at least having fun when it happened but no, was on cruise control on parkway doing 75 (which for nj thats slow lol.) Running 93 always never lower for entire ownership. And tune was in for about a year maybe a little less
Old 12-26-2020, 02:22 AM

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
2020 C43, 2008 E350
Just out of curiosity. Who did you sell it to? Did you owe money on the car? I'm always curious how these things work out.
Old 09-04-2021, 12:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
m3
These are the Symptoms/signs of a blown head gasket leak- https://cararac.com/blog/what-are-ma...-symptoms.html. Sometimes a leaking head gasket or a cracked cylinder allows a concentrated mixture of ethylene coolant to spill into the crankcase.

Last edited by vasekvi; 09-10-2021 at 12:19 AM.
Old 12-03-2023, 12:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am sorry to say this same issue happened to me. Seemingly out of nowhere. I stumbled upon this thread while I was looking for answers to what happened to my engine. Once I saw this thread my heart dropped
Had no choice but to do the same and walk away from easily my favorite car I have ever owned. It is what it is. Due to the governmental incentives I went ahead and got a BMW i4 m50 because I could not get over the looks of the turtle look of the EQE.

Old 12-03-2023, 08:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2012 e350, a BMW, an Audi, a Camaro
Originally Posted by Peter Murad
I am sorry to say this same issue happened to me. Seemingly out of nowhere. I stumbled upon this thread while I was looking for answers to what happened to my engine. Once I saw this thread my heart dropped
Had no choice but to do the same and walk away from easily my favorite car I have ever owned. It is what it is. Due to the governmental incentives I went ahead and got a BMW i4 m50 because I could not get over the looks of the turtle look of the EQE.
Any modifications or other contributing factors found?