Sponsored by:

Maintenance schedule and what types of fluids

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-31-2020, 01:47 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Corvette Grand Sport, Mercedes C43 sedan, Jeep Grand Cherokee
Maintenance schedule and what types of fluids

So I just got my 2021 C43 sedan last week. I love it so far but the manual is horrible. I looked through every booklet and couldn't find a maintenance schedule of what types of fluids to use. Does anyone have a document or link to explain what type of fluids and what needs to be done when? This is the only car I've ever owned that doesn't clearly spell this out. Sort of disappointing. The AMG tech at the dealership was really reluctant to tell me anything and was really pushing for me to just bring the car in for maintenance, which is BS. He was nice enough but that really didn't make me happy. They did say they'd send me something but I'm not really sure what they're going to send. This really shouldn't be this difficult.
Old 12-31-2020, 02:57 PM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
C43 AMG Sedan
What fluids are you looking to replace? The parts department at the dealership are usually good with giving suggestions on fluids that are not often changed (trans, diff, transfer case etc.). In terms of engine oil as long as the oil meets 229.5 spec you are good to go (I recommend a 0w40 or 5w40 that meets this spec, I personally use Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5w40). In terms of coolant, I went to benz parts department and got the gallon white bottle.

Page 430 and bevo site will list out fluids you can use.

https://www.mercedes-benz.ca/content...s_Sedan_OM.pdf
​​​​​​https://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/beam.en.html
Old 12-31-2020, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by mau108
What fluids are you looking to replace? The parts department at the dealership are usually good with giving suggestions on fluids that are not often changed (trans, diff, transfer case etc.). In terms of engine oil as long as the oil meets 229.5 spec you are good to go (I recommend a 0w40 or 5w40 that meets this spec, I personally use Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5w40). In terms of coolant, I went to benz parts department and got the gallon white bottle.

Page 430 and bevo site will list out fluids you can use.

https://www.mercedes-benz.ca/content...s_Sedan_OM.pdf
​​​​​​https://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/beam.en.html
Thanks, but here's why I'm confused. When I spoke to the AMG tech he said he'd send me over which oils to use. Here's the spec he sent: 229.6 and 229.5. The link you provided just provides a list of a whole bunch of specs. The C class manual says 229.51 and 229.52. What am I supposed to follow? Also, I don't see anywhere it saying the diff or transfer case fluid needs to be replaced, Is there a specified periodicity for these?
Old 01-01-2021, 02:23 PM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
C43 AMG Sedan
Originally Posted by ctsvette
Thanks, but here's why I'm confused. When I spoke to the AMG tech he said he'd send me over which oils to use. Here's the spec he sent: 229.6 and 229.5. The link you provided just provides a list of a whole bunch of specs. The C class manual says 229.51 and 229.52. What am I supposed to follow? Also, I don't see anywhere it saying the diff or transfer case fluid needs to be replaced, Is there a specified periodicity for these?
229.5. 229.51/229.52 I believe are diesel specs. Here are the oils I have used and meet the specifications;

1. Mobil 1 0w40 FS (Factory Fill)
2. Amsoil Euro EFM 5w40
3. Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5w40 - This is the oil I have used for the past 40K
Old 01-01-2021, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by mau108
229.5. 229.51/229.52 I believe are diesel specs. Here are the oils I have used and meet the specifications;

1. Mobil 1 0w40 FS (Factory Fill)
2. Amsoil Euro EFM 5w40
3. Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5w40 - This is the oil I have used for the past 40K
Thanks!