Sticking brakes / Handbrake?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-14-2021, 04:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2021 C43 Wagon
Sticking brakes / Handbrake?

Hi all,

I have a 2021 C43 and have noticed a potential fault. It might just be a quirk of how I do something rather than a fault so wanted to know if anyone else has experienced it.

In the morning when I first put the car in drive, I'll blip the throttle to start it rolling and then release (so after the initial blip I'm not touching the accelerator). I let the car start to roll forward and then all of a sudden after a split second of free roll I get some resistance and rough sound that slows it down. It's almost as if its applying / holding on the brakes a bit. Once it releases it's fine and doesn't do it again until the next day. It only ever happens in drive, never in reverse and I THINK only on cold mornings. I'm yet to be able to test it on a warmer morning though.

Anyone else had this? Is it because I'm not holding the throttle long enough for the brakes to release or could it be a sticking handbrake etc?
Old 04-14-2021, 05:11 PM

Received 137 Likes on 120 Posts
2018 C43
Nothing like how you described but in similarity, after washing my car, rear parking brakes rusted over night and wouldn't budge in the morning. Had to give it some gas to get it unstuck.
Old 04-14-2021, 05:14 PM

2021 C43 Wagon
Originally Posted by stockbmw
Nothing like how you described but in similarity, after washing my car, rear parking brakes rusted over night and wouldn't budge in the morning. Had to give it some gas to get it unstuck.
Interesting. I'm not 100% sure but I feel like this only started after I first washed the car. Might be a coincidence or just in my head that it started after that. I need a warmer morning to see if it's just the cold/frost causing things to seize up.
Old 04-14-2021, 05:19 PM

Received 137 Likes on 120 Posts
2018 C43
Originally Posted by tweaked9107
Interesting. I'm not 100% sure but I feel like this only started after I first washed the car. Might be a coincidence or just in my head that it started after that. I need a warmer morning to see if it's just the cold/frost causing things to seize up.
If you washed the car the day before, probably same situation. Your rotors were rusted but pads didn't seized yet. What the resistance was surface rust.

Thankfully, only happened to me once after our purchasung the car. Have washed zillion times and drove off in the morning without brake pads seizing on to the rotors.

Edit - wanted to add I purchased the car in the winter and washed it in cold weather. So rust + freezing water.

Last edited by stockbmw; 04-14-2021 at 05:21 PM.
Old 04-14-2021, 05:23 PM

2021 C43 Wagon
Originally Posted by stockbmw
If you washed the car the day before, probably same situation. Your rotors were rusted but pads didn't seized yet. What the resistance was surface rust.

Thankfully, only happened to me once after our purchasung the car. Have washed zillion times and drove off in the morning without brake pads seizing on to the rotors
Yeh I don't think it's exactly the same as its happened at least 3 or 4 times and I've only washed it the once. Will test it again tomorrow morning to see if it happens.

I feel like the tests I need to do are, try it on a cold morning the same way. Try it on a warm morning when it didn't frost at night the same way. And then try it by actually driving off rather than just letting it roll.
Might help narrow down if its an issue or not.