Sponsored by:

Performance exhaust problems and other glitches

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-03-2021, 01:10 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C43 amg
Angry Performance exhaust problems and other glitches

I just upgraded to the facelift C43 2 months ago it has been incredible so far but I just noticed some glitches that should not happen in my opinion I want to know if it is worth going to the dealer for them.

First and most problematic is the performance exhaust system in S+ feeling different, weaker and broken. It’s like the flaps only opens at higher RPM. I was able to hear pops at around 4000rpm+ now barely anything. I don’t know much about the PE system but by looking under the car I can see that a piece is not at the same position on both sides. I’ll attach an image showing which piece im talking about.

Other glitches I noticed :
  1. Proximity sensors sometimes all activate at once while I’m driving, it starts beeping like there’s something all around me but in reality there’s nothing.
  2. Apple car play sometimes disconnects and stops working
  3. Ambiant lights yesterday went off randomly
  4. Keyless go to lock the car on driver door is not instant
  5. Transmission sometimes doesn’t shift from 1 to 2 in S+ until 6000rpm. It happens when I press really hard the pedal in the drag.
Let me know if you experienced any of these.

https://imgur.com/a/OlTXwjR

Old 06-03-2021, 03:12 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,654 Likes on 2,257 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Originally Posted by caza
I just upgraded to the facelift C43 2 months ago it has been incredible so far but I just noticed some glitches that should not happen in my opinion I want to know if it is worth going to the dealer for them.

First and most problematic is the performance exhaust system in S+ feeling different, weaker and broken. It’s like the flaps only opens at higher RPM. I was able to hear pops at around 4000rpm+ now barely anything. I don’t know much about the PE system but by looking under the car I can see that a piece is not at the same position on both sides. I’ll attach an image showing which piece im talking about.

Other glitches I noticed :
  1. Proximity sensors sometimes all activate at once while I’m driving, it starts beeping like there’s something all around me but in reality there’s nothing.
  2. Apple car play sometimes disconnects and stops working
  3. Ambiant lights yesterday went off randomly
  4. Keyless go to lock the car on driver door is not instant
  5. Transmission sometimes doesn’t shift from 1 to 2 in S+ until 6000rpm. It happens when I press really hard the pedal in the drag.
Let me know if you experienced any of these.

https://imgur.com/a/OlTXwjR
Sorry to hear that you are facing all these issues. For the exhaust system, it does sometimes glitch on certain fl cars, a lot of times switching off the exhaust valve and then switching on again solves the problem for the duration of the drive. Unless you are experiencing it constantly then there is a possibility of it being wired incorrectly from the factory. As for when you were able to hear the pops at 4000 RPM before and now you can't hear it, are you comparing your pfl to facelift or were you saying, you heard it on your current car before and now it suddenly stop altogether? Another thing to keep in mind is, the ECU controls the pops and crackles by retarding the ignition timing and dumping more fuel in it. If you haven't reach operating temperature or that you drive in sport+ in stop and go traffic, it may adapt to your driving style differently.

As for the glitches:
1. If the sensors are dirty, that is common, happens during a rainstorm, snow storm, sand storm, going through construction or even shortly after the rain stops. If it happens frequently, however, it may not be normal. The sensor sensitivity can be adjusted in the infotainment.
2. Sorry, my car doesn't have apple carplay so I can't comment on this but I heard it can be caused by bad connection such as a bad cable or just software glitch, please try rebooting your phone, restarting your car or buying a new apple cable from apple to see if it helps.
3. For the lights to go off randomly, that is the first time I heard of it unless a setting to turn it off in the infotainment was accidentally triggered, if not, please see if it happens again. If it doesn't, then it might just be a software bug that resolved itself.
4. Keyless Go not instant depends on if there are interferences around you, a dashcam that haven't turn off yet (still on countdown of shutdown after external power has been cut off can interfere with it, I experienced this myself) another factor would be how you store your key, pocket, bag etc. Last but not least, the battery may be low, although that is unlikely since 1. the car should warn you about that 2. you only had the car for 2 months but I don't know how long has the car been sitting at the dealership lot.
5. That may be normal if you are in Sport+ as the car holds gears and if you suddenly let go of the gas, it waits to decide if you want to rev further up before it shifts to gear two. As for pressing hard on the gas, did you initiate kickdown (pressing beyond resistance and you hear a click) ?

Last edited by W205C43PFL; 06-03-2021 at 04:51 PM.
Old 06-03-2021, 06:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C43 amg
Originally Posted by W205C43PFL
Sorry to hear that you are facing all these issues. For the exhaust system, it does sometimes glitch on certain fl cars, a lot of times switching off the exhaust valve and then switching on again solves the problem for the duration of the drive. Unless you are experiencing it constantly then there is a possibility of it being wired incorrectly from the factory. As for when you were able to hear the pops at 4000 RPM before and now you can't hear it, are you comparing your pfl to facelift or were you saying, you heard it on your current car before and now it suddenly stop altogether? Another thing to keep in mind is, the ECU controls the pops and crackles by retarding the ignition timing and dumping more fuel in it. If you haven't reach operating temperature or that you drive in sport+ in stop and go traffic, it may adapt to your driving style differently.

As for the glitches:
1. If the sensors are dirty, that is common, happens during a rainstorm, snow storm, sand storm, going through construction or even shortly after the rain stops. If it happens frequently, however, it may not be normal. The sensor sensitivity can be adjusted in the infotainment.
2. Sorry, my car doesn't have apple carplay so I can't comment on this but I heard it can be caused by bad connection such as a bad cable or just software glitch, please try rebooting your phone, restarting your car or buying a new apple cable from apple to see if it helps.
3. For the lights to go off randomly, that is the first time I heard of it unless a setting to turn it off in the infotainment was accidentally triggered, if not, please see if it happens again. If it doesn't, then it might just be a software bug that resolved itself.
4. Keyless Go not instant depends on if there are interferences around you, a dashcam that haven't turn off yet (still on countdown of shutdown after external power has been cut off can interfere with it, I experienced this myself) another factor would be how you store your key, pocket, bag etc. Last but not least, the battery may be low, although that is unlikely since 1. the car should warn you about that 2. you only had the car for 2 months but I don't know how long has the car been sitting at the dealership lot.
5. That may be normal if you are in Sport+ as the car holds gears and if you suddenly let go of the gas, it waits to decide if you want to rev further up before it shifts to gear two. As for pressing hard on the gas, did you initiate kickdown (pressing beyond resistance and you hear a click) ?
Thanks for the information
The difference is with the same car as of last week I was able to hear very loud and clear crackles now they feel muffled. I can hear something closing probably the flaps according to the sound when I release my foot from the pedal. It’s like the flaps are open but not correctly and when I press hard they open.
Keep in mind that I had a 2017 C43 just before so it is compared to the experience I have so far
  1. The sensor glitch has nothing to do with dirt. I’m driving normally sometimes a car passes near me and 5 seconds later the 360 view comes with ALL proximity sensors to red which means something is really close to all of them which is impossible.
  2. The whole media system lags actually, I guess it’s computer stuff
  3. They worked back when I went to ambiant lights setting changed the colour and the intensity
  4. The keyless go delay on the driver side doesn’t happen in other doors and wasn’t happening on the old C43, I touch and the car locks 1 second after compared to the others where it is instant
  5. I understand that it delays gear 1 in S+ but in my case it looks like it forgets to shift and arriving to 7000 rpm it forces it to do it but in a very harsh way. There’s no upshift bang and it feels like the car stops for a brief moment. It is very uncomfortable.
Old 06-04-2021, 08:22 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,654 Likes on 2,257 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Originally Posted by caza
Thanks for the information
The difference is with the same car as of last week I was able to hear very loud and clear crackles now they feel muffled. I can hear something closing probably the flaps according to the sound when I release my foot from the pedal. It’s like the flaps are open but not correctly and when I press hard they open.
Keep in mind that I had a 2017 C43 just before so it is compared to the experience I have so far
  1. The sensor glitch has nothing to do with dirt. I’m driving normally sometimes a car passes near me and 5 seconds later the 360 view comes with ALL proximity sensors to red which means something is really close to all of them which is impossible.
  2. The whole media system lags actually, I guess it’s computer stuff
  3. They worked back when I went to ambiant lights setting changed the colour and the intensity
  4. The keyless go delay on the driver side doesn’t happen in other doors and wasn’t happening on the old C43, I touch and the car locks 1 second after compared to the others where it is instant
  5. I understand that it delays gear 1 in S+ but in my case it looks like it forgets to shift and arriving to 7000 rpm it forces it to do it but in a very harsh way. There’s no upshift bang and it feels like the car stops for a brief moment. It is very uncomfortable.
I see. I currently have a 2017 C43, sedan, bought new in 2017 and I understand your feelings. My sensors do occasionally come up too although it isn't as bad as yours where everything is red. If you mean by red do you mean the bird's eye view shows everything red (if so I never had that) or only the dashboard shows the squares fully red with loud beeping and then suddenly stops beeping (I occasionally have that on my car). If you only notice it now, that means you never had that issue in your 2017?
1. Since your camera came up as well, then your speed wasn't slow as it doesn't come up for safety reasons unless due to a software issue.
2. I never used apple carplay so I guess I can't comment on such experience.
3. I see, monitor this and see if it happens again, let us know.
4. I never notice that, let me see if it happens on my car.
5. I occasionally get that, I guess that is just how the C43 transmission is programmed. The transmission itself is good, but the way they programmed it is "interesting" . I especially experience the sudden harsh shift (or in your words, the last minute shift) when I am coming to a turn at a traffic light. I can't say if it is normal, however. I did take it to the dealership but all they say is...there are no codes. As far as I know though, the programming in the facelift is slightly different, I forgot if the gear ratios are different too, unlikely in my opinion.

Edit1: Hmmm so I checked my car, it sometimes does the 1 second delay and other times it is instant, it also only does it on the driver side door. I tested it with fresh batteries, I tried it with both keys. I wonder why. Let me experiment around with it and see.

Last edited by W205C43PFL; 06-04-2021 at 12:24 PM.
Old 06-06-2021, 01:00 PM

Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts
C43
I notice my PE system messing up from time to time if I start the car up cold without turning it on. There is logic in the car to keep the exhaust flap open when the car is cold to help warm it up. However, cars with PE tend to glitch out here. So if I start the car up cold, leave PE off, then it opens the flaps part way, sometimes it doesn't even open both equally. Once the car warms up, toggling the PE button sometimes doesn't do anything and exhaust is stuck in a weird state.

However, if I start the car and then open the flaps immediately and leave it that way for 10-15 minutes until the car warms up, then it works properly. Toggling the PE button works properly and no issues. Maybe you can try this?