Sponsored by:

apple watch?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-04-2021, 05:27 PM

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts
C 43
apple watch?

Not strictly a benz question...I find COMAND is a wonderful system, all gadgets work, no issues.
My Apple Watch and Comand see each other...each tosses a "I'm being asked to date" screen.
Check yes and proceed.
no link.

All other phones work, apple and android.

I'd love to ditch the actual phone.....
Old 06-04-2021, 06:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,937 Likes on 2,629 Posts
2019 C63CS
The Apple Watch is not a phone, even though it has some of its own connectivity options. I was trying to find which BT profiles watchOS implements, but couldn't find anything. Pretty sure, though, it doesn't implement Handsfree and other profiles required to pair with a car stereo/Infotainment system. That function is meant to be handled by the iPhone itself. The Apple Watch also doesn't support CarPlay for obvious reasons.

I found the following article and while it is from 2018 it confirms as much. The final confirmation would be the spec sheet for watchOS listing all the BT profiles it implements. I know the watch can connect to BT headphones, but that's a different profile from the handsfree/car stereo profiles. Basically what's happening is COMAND is attempting to pair with your watch, but then discovers that it doesn't support the required profiles and basically aborts.

https://9to5mac.com/2018/09/04/apple...uetooth-audio/
Old 06-04-2021, 09:14 PM

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts
C 43
That makes sense. The car saw the watch, the watch saw the car, but they'd never complete the handshake. Pity too, as the watch is enough for a lot of uses, and while I can speakerphone it off the watch in the car, it's not truly a handsfree device. I'm sure there is a reason somewhere in the Walled Garden....apple not wanting to obsolete the phone so fast ?....Carriers unhappy with multiple units on one phone number and wanting to limit use ? Battery Life ? Alas....