Sponsored by:

Battery Warning

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-15-2021, 10:31 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
2019 C43 AMG
Battery Warning

My 2019 is giving a battery warning. Pull over let the car run blah blah. Anyone else had this issue. It could be related to too many short drives but damn it's only 2 years old!
Old 06-16-2021, 06:13 AM

Received 122 Likes on 86 Posts
2021 C63S Coupe
Originally Posted by obeezzy
My 2019 is giving a battery warning. Pull over let the car run blah blah. Anyone else had this issue. It could be related to too many short drives but damn it's only 2 years old!
I had that once in my C63s while I was doing a GPS map update, however the car was off and it was taking an hour - so it made sense but haven't seen it since. Next time you are out and about near an auto zone or similar have them test your battery - it's free and pretty quick to do without any hassle. If it's looking like it's failing early you should be able to warranty it. I would certainly believe the warning as it's simply just a voltage measurement, which you can validate at home with a meter.
Old 06-16-2021, 06:44 AM

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
2023 (X254) GLC300 RWD White
Which battery? I had an issue with my small “starter” battery with my GLC 2020. I would get a warning that it needs to be charged. I would drive the car and it would go away only to return. It didn’t show on the cars dash screen but on the Mercedes Me app. Dealer told me unless it showed on the dash not to worry. But after months of getting the warning I had him change the battery since I didn’t want any startup problems. It was changed and have never seen the warning since. That was 9 months ago.
Old 06-16-2021, 08:55 AM

Received 122 Likes on 86 Posts
2021 C63S Coupe
Originally Posted by DESAL
Which battery? I had an issue with my small “starter” battery with my GLC 2020. I would get a warning that it needs to be charged. I would drive the car and it would go away only to return. It didn’t show on the cars dash screen but on the Mercedes Me app. Dealer told me unless it showed on the dash not to worry. But after months of getting the warning I had him change the battery since I didn’t want any startup problems. It was changed and have never seen the warning since. That was 9 months ago.
Some (maybe most?) manufacturers have a smaller battery for the eco stop / start function -- oddly mine just died in my Jeep yesterday but it threw the start / stop error on the dash, not a battery voltage fault or warning.
Old 06-16-2021, 09:46 AM

Received 110 Likes on 94 Posts
2021 M550i
where are you receiving the warning? Is it on your mercedes app for starter battery? Partially charged?
Old 06-16-2021, 02:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 97 Likes on 82 Posts
'20 GLC300 SUV
Unless you’re driving your car at least 15 minutes every day or at least 5-6 times a week, you’ll get “Partially Charged” messages on your Mercedes Me app.

I’ve learned to ignore them.

It’s the “Starter Battery Critical” you want to avoid.
Old 06-16-2021, 05:10 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
CLS, SLK, CLK, C, GLC
Same problem as me. 2 years and have to buy a new one. I have bought Varta silver line. And must be AGM. It is battery for start stop system.
Old 06-16-2021, 06:23 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,843 Likes on 2,421 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Yup, sounds pretty common to me, I hear about it a lot on the forums. As suggested by others, drive your car more frequently, it is the car's way of telling you it misses you. If you absolutely can't drive your car for a long time, please try turning on standby mode although the car's anti-theft system doesn't function when this mode is on. Another method would be to put it on a trickle charger.
Old 06-16-2021, 06:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4,000 Likes on 2,665 Posts
2019 C63CS
So, there are a couple of different issues discussed here. If you get a battery warning while you are driving, then something is most likely wrong with the battery or the electrical system. The starter battery is actually the big battery in the car. There's also an auxiliary battery to power the electronics during high demand times or when the main voltage temporarily drops. This ensures that the electronics in the car always have enough power to boot up while you are starting the car. The Mercedes me app reports the status of the starter battery (the big one). Seeing partially charged in the app is pretty normal if you don't drive enough. I've also gotten critical warnings when the car was in for service and they worked on it draining the battery. Hasn't happened during the most recent service, but I had hooked it up to a trickle charger not too long ago to fully charge the battery given my reduced driving during the lockdowns. Now that I'm driving longer distances again, the battery fully charges with just driving around.

FWIW, I just went through a complete power failure with my wife's car. It's a VW, but nonetheless. The battery light came on while she was driving and she made it home, but the car was dead afterwards. Turned out the alternator got fried, along with the wiring harness to the battery and the battery was dead as well. The latter was expected as it was quite old. Her car barely got driven over the last 15 months and I started to notice oddities. Not sure if the lack of driving finally killed it. I did occasionally hook it up to a trickle charger. I started to hear a noise coming from the alternator and I was gonna have it checked out, but it died before I could. It's all fixed now.

All said, cars don't really like to sit around. If you don't drive it consider turning on the standby mode as mentioned above, or connect a trickle charger.

Last edited by superswiss; 06-16-2021 at 06:50 PM.
Old 06-17-2021, 01:01 PM

Received 138 Likes on 121 Posts
2018 C43
If you don't want to drive few extra days per week to charge the battery and run the car, invest in a battery maintainer. Hook up the battery maintainer once a month, if you only driven few days a week. Charge it weekly if the car sit every other week.