Sponsored by:

Worn out power lock button

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-22-2021, 08:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VW JTI
Worn out power lock button

So I bought my C43 about 6 months ago, and I guess the previous owner used the power lock button 3,983,421 times and the black was all worn off. I have literally not used that button in the six months that I have had the car, and can’t see why any would need to use it tbh. But I digress… As a “repair”, the dealer I bought the car from just colored over the worn out part with a black sharpie. I cannot handle this, and must have it fixed.

So I’ve seen where you can buy the entire power lock switch from Mercedes. It’s surprisingly really cheap, but you have to remove the door panel, which is a pain with all those electronic connectors and attached. I also see replacement buttons for like $15-$20. They appear to leave the actual power lock switch intact, and only replace the button covers themselves. Has anyone used these? If so, how did you remove the old buttons?
Old 06-22-2021, 07:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 97 Likes on 82 Posts
'20 GLC300 SUV
Originally Posted by coldradio1
So I bought my C43 about 6 months ago, and I guess the previous owner used the power lock button 3,983,421 times and the black was all worn off. I have literally not used that button in the six months that I have had the car, and can’t see why any would need to use it tbh. But I digress… As a “repair”, the dealer I bought the car from just colored over the worn out part with a black sharpie. I cannot handle this, and must have it fixed.

So I’ve seen where you can buy the entire power lock switch from Mercedes. It’s surprisingly really cheap, but you have to remove the door panel, which is a pain with all those electronic connectors and attached. I also see replacement buttons for like $15-$20. They appear to leave the actual power lock switch intact, and only replace the button covers themselves. Has anyone used these? If so, how did you remove the old buttons?
I know this doesn't answer your question, and I apologize if you have already explored this route, but does the car have any warranty left?

If it were me, I would tell the dealer that the attempt at repair was sub-standard from what you'd expect from Mercedes, that they made the issue worse-looking by virtue of the laughingly cheap attempt at fixing it, and insist that they replace it with a new button.

On my previous C43, a technician accidentally got some kind of brake grease on my steering column assembly. I couldn't remove it with water or any type of plastic/leather cleaner. They attempted to remove the stain with isopropyl alcohol and it made it look worse, and it dripped on some black plastic and "bleached" the wheel.

I had them replace my entire steering wheel and column - a $2,500+ repair - under warranty. My car was obviously new, and still under warranty.

Last edited by zibby43; 06-23-2021 at 03:03 PM.