Sponsored by:

Oil Burning Smell / Passenger Side Oil leak

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-19-2021, 10:51 PM

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
2016 C450 AMG Sport, 2018 GLE400
Oil Burning Smell / Passenger Side Oil leak

Hey everyone so I've been smelling burning oil (like when it hits hot exhaust) for the last couple months especially when driven hard. Tried to determine cause this evening and there is definately something leaking on the passenger side engine compartment. Using a mirror (looking up toward the bottom of the turbo) there seems to some sweating and oil buildup on the block and on a line that i believe to be the oil cooler line. Then i looked through the wheel well and noticed an oily/greasy build up all around the drive axle opening. So i either have an oil cooler line leaking and its dripping down onto axle and downpipe or i have an axle boot leak and while driving its spinning grease up into the engine compartment and hitting the exhaust or worst case i have both. Will need to do my best to clean up the build up and try to pinpoint exact location. Thought id ask in case some has gone through this. I attached a pic of the axle sweating/build up.

Axle opening covered in grease

Another

Looking down through engine bay toward downpipe
Old 07-22-2021, 11:42 PM

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
2016 C450 AMG Sport, 2018 GLE400
Confirmed cv boot slight rip...gonna try and save it with shoe goo as no clicking as of yet...seems like the grease was getting flung onto the downpipe causing the smell. Hope this helps someone out in the future.

Before

After

Rip / pin hole
Old 07-23-2021, 01:30 AM

Received 103 Likes on 86 Posts
2018 Mercedes C43 AMG Coupe
Thanks for updating us, glad you found the issue.