Sponsored by:

New spacers making squeaking sound

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-27-2021, 05:32 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C43
New spacers making squeaking sound

So I installed spacers about a month ago 15 in the fron and 20 in the back on my oem 19” rims for my 2017 c43. And recently I’ve noticed a squeaking sound when I’m at low speeds like in parking lots or going into my garage on my driveway. It wasn’t there when I had them installed I even went on a drive to see for squeaking and any sounds nothing. But now it’s there and it’s annoying, not sure if I should be worried, can anyone help me out?
Old 07-28-2021, 07:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 191 Likes on 135 Posts
C190
Originally Posted by Stockw205
So I installed spacers about a month ago 15 in the fron and 20 in the back on my oem 19” rims for my 2017 c43. And recently I’ve noticed a squeaking sound when I’m at low speeds like in parking lots or going into my garage on my driveway. It wasn’t there when I had them installed I even went on a drive to see for squeaking and any sounds nothing. But now it’s there and it’s annoying, not sure if I should be worried, can anyone help me out?
When you have this symptom there are two things to look out for.

First, the supplied longer bolts need to be r14 radius shouldered for stock Mercedes wheels. There are r12 and r13 radius bolt heads as well, and using these would cause noise like you deceived. Unfortunately, unless you have a radius gauge it is very hard to tell what they gave you. Most of the time suppliers give you r14 which are used for Audi.

Second, especially if your spacers are in the 12mm to 13mm range (and even some brands of 15mm spacer) as sometimes they do not have enough bore depth on the mounting side to accommodate the hub protrusion in the center of the hub of the car. What happens is you tighten down the wheel and the center piece breaks off inside because there’s not enough provision. Remove your wheel and look at the spacer. It’s more common than you would believe, breaking the spacer’s center when torquing down the wheel because it’s just not suited to your application.

Last edited by TModelle; 07-28-2021 at 07:25 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Stockw205 (07-28-2021)
Old 07-28-2021, 07:28 AM

C43
Well actually they gave me the wrong bolts which like you said are the r13 so I had to go through the hassle of finding the r14 head to better fit. So I don’t think it’s the bolt since it’s the correct size. But it may have cracked when torquing down, something I never considered. I’ll have them removed at looked at as soon as possible.
Old 07-28-2021, 07:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 191 Likes on 135 Posts
C190
Originally Posted by Stockw205
Well actually they gave me the wrong bolts which like you said are the r13 so I had to go through the hassle of finding the r14 head to better fit. So I don’t think it’s the bolt since it’s the correct size. But it may have cracked when torquing down, something I never considered. I’ll have them removed at looked at as soon as possible.
The third thing to look out for is whether the chamfer/countersink of your wheel centerbore is enough to accommodate the machining radius of the spacer centerbore protrusion/spigot, and likewise the chamfer/countersink of the spacer is enough to accommodate the machining radius of the centerbore of the hub of the car. If either is not enough, then the wheel or spacer can’t sit flush enough and there would be a tiny gap between the mounting surfaces while the wheel is still being held down by the bolts.
The following users liked this post:
Stockw205 (07-28-2021)
Old 07-28-2021, 07:50 AM

C43
I hope their not cracked, and as for now until I can get to my wheel/tire guy I think I should be good to drive on it until I find some time to go have it looked at.
Old 07-28-2021, 03:11 PM

Received 137 Likes on 97 Posts
Present: 2019 C43 Estate
I'd honestly be shocked if the "squeaking noice" is from your spacers. Especially if they'd been fine up till now. If they've been torqued down since install, there's not much that can shift after the fact. If there was a problem with install, you would likely have noticed it right away.

How are your brake pads? Have you done any suspension work to your car?
Old 07-28-2021, 04:49 PM

C43
Brakes are pretty much new changed about 10km ago, and no the cars stock other than spacers.