Downpipes without a tune

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-15-2021, 12:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 c43 AMG
Downpipes without a tune

Hey everyone,

I’ve been wanting to make my c43 louder but I’ve been super picky with exhaust notes on aftermarket exhausts and i finally decided to go a different route. I ended up pulling the trigger on the RedStar exhaust catless downpipes and they come in today (picture below). However, this is my first turbo’d car and I’m still learning on how everything works. I mentioned the downpipes to my friend and he warned me about blowing up the motor by putting on the downpipes without tuning it right after, I’ve been doing some research and I’m getting mixed opinions on it so i called eurocharged and they said i absolutely need to tune it after putting on the downpipes because I’d run the car rich and blow it up as soon as i went into boost. I just spoke to someone else at my office and he said it’d be fine but recommended i asked here to see if anyone has put downpipes on and drove the car around without a tune for a bit.

any recommendations or experiences with this on the c43?

Old 10-15-2021, 01:03 PM

Received 311 Likes on 237 Posts
C43
100% need to tune when installing catless downpipes. I would not go as far as saying it will blow your engine - but you will make less power than stock without a tune. If you do not want to tune your vehicle, do not install the new downpipes. Increased exhaust volume is not a good trade for making less power. If you do intend to tune, you will make considerable power over stock.
Old 10-15-2021, 01:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 c43 AMG
Thanks for the response! I do want to tune the car eventually, i was just thinking of tuning it sometime in December or January when i have the money set aside for it. My plan was to drive it for a couple of months without the tune but was worried I’d damage the car
Old 10-16-2021, 09:14 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Mercedes Benz C450 amg
Originally Posted by itsjustjake
Hey everyone,

I’ve been wanting to make my c43 louder but I’ve been super picky with exhaust notes on aftermarket exhausts and i finally decided to go a different route. I ended up pulling the trigger on the RedStar exhaust catless downpipes and they come in today (picture below). However, this is my first turbo’d car and I’m still learning on how everything works. I mentioned the downpipes to my friend and he warned me about blowing up the motor by putting on the downpipes without tuning it right after, I’ve been doing some research and I’m getting mixed opinions on it so i called eurocharged and they said i absolutely need to tune it after putting on the downpipes because I’d run the car rich and blow it up as soon as i went into boost. I just spoke to someone else at my office and he said it’d be fine but recommended i asked here to see if anyone has put downpipes on and drove the car around without a tune for a bit.

any recommendations or experiences with this on the c43?
I wouldn't say you'll blow up your engine, but you will get a check engine light since you haven't tuned it and it might not be as efficient as it was when it had the original downpipes. If all you were looking for was sound, a muffler/resonator delete would have given you that without the nasty smell that comes with the downpipes. If you were looking for performance, then you made the right step.