C450/C43 AMG
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[BIG THREAD] Exhaust system options for C43/C450 AMG + U21 vs U78 comparison

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-24-2021 | 12:05 PM

C43 AMG 2018 (facelift)
Arrow [BIG THREAD] Exhaust system options for C43/C450 AMG + U21 vs U78 comparison

As we know from the factory, there are two exhaust system options for the C43/450.

1.U21 AMG Sport Exhaust - standard sports exhaust system

U21 AMG sport exhaust

2. U78 AMG Performance Exhaust - comes as an option, improved exhaust system, popularly called PE.

U78 AMG Performance Exhaust

For clarity, here are both exhausts laid side by side, without mufflers.

PE vs normal exhaust

The difference is that PE is more straight-through - it has an H pipe and electronic valves on the mufflers, activated from a button in the car. The valves are really not simple. They are connected to the car through the module (controller), which regulates the % of its opening. In "comfort" mode, it is 30% open. In sport + mode, it opens slightly, depending on the speed. For example, sport + at 5000 rpm, it is 100% open. Very difficult, but that's how it is programmed by AMG engineers.

If you have such a button on your console, then you have 100% U78 - Performance Exhaust.

This is what the controller looks like, which is responsible for the% opening of the damper.

I am attaching a couple of videos that were filmed from the same place and at the same time for comparing U21 vs U78.

C43 AMG U21 AMG Sport Exhaust

C450 U78 AMG Performance Exhaust (retrofit)

Of course, the test is far from ideal, since the C450 is louder from the factory, and it has 1 less resonator, but still. The difference is obvious. The exhaust is louder. Delicious shots at the gear shifts. Great backfires on the drop of RPM.
A lot of content has already accumulated, since I personally met with 3 owners who put PE instead of the normal one and a lot of collected information about this, so I decided to make a separate post here in MBworld forum, where I will dive into the comparison and subtleties in search & installation in more detail.

So why am I doing this for? 99% of C43 cars in my country (Russia) are supplied WITHOUT the Performance Exhaust option. The option is not cheap and dealers usually do not add it in the configurator, as it does not greatly affect the sale. But how does it affect the sound ... Accordingly, 99% of owners receive a "muffled" version of the exhaust system. Moreover, as it was recently found out, on the uplifted cars of 2018+, as many as 2 resonators were installed! And all because of the new requirements and regulations of the EU on exhaust emissions and noise. The sound of gear changes in SPORT + is OK, but not so loud and the shots on the throttle (revs) are very much drowned out. They are practically absent. Someone may be satisfied with this, but not everyone. And not me.

I lifted my car and was surprised. 2 resonators!

So, what options do we have? Improve and modify an existing exhaust? Re-wield the exhaust through the H pipe? Cut out resonators? Change the exhaust completely?
I am far from an expert in this area, but I tried to study this point quite closely.
I used all possible resources: the mbworld forum, a group of C43 amg owners on Facebook, contacted the C43 owners from US via FB chat, personally met with the owners locally who modified and / or replaced their exhaust. I want to tell you about everything in the hope that it will save you some time and help the owners of C450 / C43 without PE a lot

Option 1: complete replacement of the exhaust
Completely change the exhaust from third-party manufacturers. There are not many of them. I found 7 decent options. Prices are written without taking into account customs clearance and delivery, in addition to this, I think you can safely add 20-30%. I haven't heard any of them live. My opinion is formed only from what I could hear on the video in the headphones (yes, that changes the matter). I reviewed several videos of each of the systems and the way they were built. I will attach the best ones.

1. Carpisto - for me the most beautiful sounding option, if not for its price. German brand. Everything is super high quality. The reviews are very positive. Quite expensive though.
Price: 6400 $

Carpisto

2. Armytrix is ​​also quite a fancy Taiwanese brand. They have both valves and an application. Sounds pretty good. According to reviews, the quality is decent.
Price: 4000 $

Armytrix

3. FI Exhaust is another Taiwanese brand. They are also quite popular. There is an application + remotes with a button for the valves.
Price: 3000 $

FI exhaust

4. Supersprint - here you can buy everything separately. But without the valves. An interesting option, but it seems to me that in some cases it does not sound very good, especially at high revs and at idle.
Price: 3000 €

Supersprint

5. DGT Exhaust is our domestic manufacturers. It seems to me that one of the most normal solutions in our market. The exhaust is similar to competitors. Mufflers are of a very interesting square shape. Should be pretty loud. There are valves + attachment. It is possible to adjust the % opening of the valves depending on the engine RPM. I really wanted to listen to this solution live, but I could not find the owners of this system. I contacted the company itself. Should have put a similar one on the GLC 43 in the middle of June. I'm waiting.
Price: 182,000 rubles (2500$).

DGT exhaust

6. iPE Exhaust. I came across Performance Exhaust with the prefix "i" in the band. The guys from Taiwan completely copied the Performance Exhaust U78, but removed the resonator. Valves are present. The idea and sound are fine.
Price: $4750 from catalysts, $ 7150 with sport cats.

iPE exhaust

7. Logos Engineering- Performance Replica Exhaust. I will write a separate post about this company as they do unique things for the C43. We ordered a set of pipes from them. We will install and test soon. They promise not to make that ringing “Honda Civic” sound, which all owners get by installing pipes from any manufacturer. About the exhaust: This is essentially a PE replica. The resonator was removed. They made not a straight H pipe, which gives a ringing without a resonator, but a curve at the output. Should suppress the very drone that occurs at low rpm. Valves are present. They promise that it will sound like a mini-V8 There is no video sound yet, but after examining dozens of options, I understand that they did everything right. I think this is a great option that can definitely compete with PE. So, the ones who cannot find PE - go for it.
Price: $2,500 (now early sales, then there will be 2,800).

Looks almost like OEM PE.

Copies PE, only without resonator. The pipes are curved at the end. Should remove unnecessary noise.

With electric valves

The options are very decent, but with the current exchange rate in my country, and potential problems with customs clearance, I think not everyone will be able to afford it. So, we are smoothly moving on to simpler and "popular" options.

Option 2: Modifying the existing exhaust
The option is simpler, can be done at almost any local garage who deals with exhaust. Therefore, needs less budget. However, things here are not that simple. Everything will depend on the place where the improvements will be made and of course on the master himself. I post several options and their + -, which I could find out in the process of searching and communicating with the owners, who made these options. I will not write the cost of the work, as it varies greatly depending on the country and on the garages.

1. Remove the resonator and / or muffler. The easiest and cheapest option. Will significantly add exhaust volume and increase the volume of backfires (if any). But there are also negative effects. After removal, vibration often appears in the body. Humming inside the cabin. Gasoline smell. Chatted on FB with the man who cut everything on his C43. He says he gets high volume, but the above defects are present.

2. Cut out the catalyst and install the downpipes. Significantly increase the exhaust volume. It will also add hp. at st2. But the sound will become more "high frequency" and buzz like a bee (honda civic). I heard it live, I didn't really like it. I talked with people who installed pipes, they say that everyone who installs only pipes has a buzzing sound. It is not very clear how to deal with this buzz. There is an option to install pipes with sport catalysts. We have already ordered one kit from US 3 "Ultra High Flow Catted Downpipe”. They promise not to hum or resonate due to the modified design. Once installed, there will be a detailed post with more information.
Update April 2022
There is an option to install pipes with sport cats to avoid that honda civic sound. I have already ordered & received 3" Ultra High Flow Catted Downpipe from Logos. It seems like that they promise to avoid having this weird sound. I will install it this spring. Will have a separate post with regards to the result.

3. To modify the exhaust with an H pipe after the resonator and replace the original muffler with others. This option was offered by the local guys from Filitek. In fact, this is a kind of copy of the original PE, but brewed locally. In the same place, they propose to put vacuum valves on mufflers. I went to them, looked closely, but this option did not inspire me. I listened live the car of my friend who did the same thing. I liked the sound in general, but there were almost no backfires on shifts and it was buzzing at 2.5-3k RPMs.

4. Change stock mufflers to similar ones, for example from C63. I was changing braking pads at local garage, there was a C63 on the lift. The pads were replaced for me, so both cars were suspended next to each other. For the sake of interest, I began to study the exhaust of C63. Very similar to the Performance Exhaust by structure. "Knocked" on the mufflers. The mufflers from the C63 are empty inside compared to mine. I knock on mine - felled like wood. As the local master said - all the sound is from the back - the mufflers need to be changed accordingly. I have not heard such a configuration live.

5. Modify the existing exhaust through the manipulation of resonators and mufflers. This option is offered by local garages. They open res and mufflers and change the way construction inside. I personally listened to one car of the owner from the local forum, who made this. I really liked it. But he has a C450, there are more backfires by default and the exhaust itself is louder. It is also quite a working option, but not universal. It is unclear how the C43 will sound on uplifted model.

Option 3: Installing the U78 Performance Exhaust instead of the stock one (retrofit).
The guys from AMG are definitely not stupid and they spend millions of dollars on the development of exhaust systems for Mercedes. Perhaps they are fools only in the fact that they do not provide the Performance exhaust in all cars by default, not as an option. Ah, this is pure marketing.

I have read a lot. Spoke to many people. Listened to many cars with above mentioned modifications. All of the said in “one voice” that the best option for C43/C450 that does not have PE option is to retrofit one. Finding it, as I understand it, is not so easy. And since in the vastness of our homeland, this option is extremely rare, the search should be done abroad. I know 3 owners of 450/43 who did a retrofit in Russia. All + - went through my path and eventually settled on this option and are very happy with the result. But this option is quite complicated. You need to find the PE. Bring the hell knows where and pay the hell knows who for it. Wait for them to send it to you and so forth.
A detailed post and a more detailed comparison of U21 vs U78 + installation can be found here.

Update April 2022.
Option 4: Installing exhaust from C63 (retrofit #2).
Finally it happened! One of the members of our C43 AMG chat decided to buy and completely change the stock exhaust to the one from C63. They are different in structure. Therefore, the "bolt-in" solution does not work. This meant that some improvements in terms of cutting some elements with welding has to be done. But in general, this is indeed a very interesting option. In the exhaust of C63 there is NO resonator! Mufflers are much lighter than from U21, and even more lighter than the U78 ones. The sound from engine is going straight through pipes into mufflers. If valves are open, it becomes a disaster for surroundings. The owner also installed pipes without cats, so it turned out exactly what I was expecting. Very cool, but very loud! The owner generally likes the sound very much. But he says it's too loud. We will help him activate the standard valves, as I did on my U78. By the way, there are as many as 3 valves on this exhaust track: 2 on the mufflers and 1 at the beginning of the track. It's interesting what will come of it. But for now, the sound is amazing and bursting!

2 exhaust tracks side by side. Stock U21 on the bottom, C63 on the top.

One more photo.

C63 exhaust on C43 installed.

Cold start video:

Video "on the go":

CONCLUSION
I'm sure there are still hundreds of exhaust options for our 450/43's, but these are probably all the main ones that I could find and study. If you have any more options, please write them in a comment for this post. I will definitely add them to this thread. Let's together help our small community collect available information so that each owner can make the right choice for himself. Oh, how this article would have helped me when I was in the beginning stage…I cannot imagine

Of course, each owner perceives the exhaust sound differently. Someone is satisfied with the stock sound. Some people don't like popcorn or backfires. Someone enjoys a very loud exhaust. "The golden mean” here is different for everyone - definitely! All my comments regarding the listed options are subjective, as they are based on my personal perception of the sound and the complete lack of professional experience in the exhaust system. Do not judge strictly!

P.S. While writing the post (yes, it took a lot of time) - I have already made my choice. You can read it here. Happy exhaust everyone!

Last edited by Yuriy_Moscow; 04-02-2022 at 03:35 PM.
The following 7 users liked this post by Yuriy_Moscow:
0dte (10-26-2021), 1SickGLC (10-27-2021), king_supreme1 (01-28-2022), MatthewJ (10-25-2021), Retrorog (06-17-2024), SoCalC55 (10-25-2021), waisoserious (04-06-2022) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-24-2021 | 09:31 PM

C450,GLC 63,VW GTI
the Sports exhaust with the 2 resonators is actually the c400 "Y" section, but with the sports exhaust muffler rear.

by the way I have the LEM P.E.R (one of 3)

crazy unbelievable, i cant put the sound into words (i'll try). It sounds thick and expansive, the best way i can describe it is like 2 ducatis with a deep aftermarket exhaust, operating at the same time.
It sounds soooooooooo smooth, almost like something that came from the factory. They are waiting for soundclips from me but I wont be able until about a week or 2 as I have to have someone record me as I drive.

Old 10-25-2021 | 02:53 AM

C43 AMG 2018 (facelift)
Originally Posted by SilverBullet18
the Sports exhaust with the 2 resonators is actually the c400 "Y" section, but with the sports exhaust muffler rear.

by the way I have the LEM P.E.R (one of 3)

crazy unbelievable, i cant put the sound into words (i'll try). It sounds thick and expansive, the best way i can describe it is like 2 ducatis with a deep aftermarket exhaust, operating at the same time.
It sounds soooooooooo smooth, almost like something that came from the factory. They are waiting for soundclips from me but I wont be able until about a week or 2 as I have to have someone record me as I drive.
Amazing. Glad you enjoy it. Waiting for the video. When done, please post it here. I will add it to the thread. Try to make couple of clips, preferably horizontal
Old 10-27-2021 | 12:16 AM

GLC43, X P100D, S P100D, CT200H
Im using FI for my GLC. I want to point out that manually turning opening and closing the exhaust valve baffles can become tedious. It starts to feel like you are "trying to hard". Eventually it will reach the point where sometimes you dont bother opening or closing it because you wont want to reach for the remote or cant find the remote.

Also, many users do NOT want the valves open or closed all the time. The FI and Armytrix come with the OBD2 box so it can controls the valves automatically at the RPM you set.

Personally, I would get an exhaust with this feature. The factory AMG PE really is the best exhaust for the C43. Its ability to work seemlessly with the infotainment is a feature that, to my knowledge, no other exhaust has been able to replicate.

The FI exhaust sounds great. My only grip is that it is vacuum line actuated. If it was motorized it would be even better.
Old 10-27-2021 | 04:20 PM

2017 c43
first off this thread is awesome definitely a big help, second waisoserious, can you put the actuators on the opposite exhausts so that it will always be open unless you use the remote to close it? Same question for anyone with the pe exhaust.
Old 10-27-2021 | 07:45 PM

C43 Coupe
The LEM exhaust is a good option for those with JB4 and already have the OBD2 port occupied. Ive heard the IPE and armytrix in real life and they sound the same.

The superspint sounds weird, dont like it. Im not a fan of Y configuration exhaust except on the nissan GTR, maybe because its a bigger engine. You can get a similar armytrix and IPE exhaust sound by doing a resonator delete and the BMW rear muffler mod. but can be done for 300 bucks.
Old 10-27-2021 | 10:46 PM

GLC43, X P100D, S P100D, CT200H
Originally Posted by Justins17c43
first off this thread is awesome definitely a big help, second waisoserious, can you put the actuators on the opposite exhausts so that it will always be open unless you use the remote to close it? Same question for anyone with the pe exhaust.

They start as open by default. During cold starts the valves will be open and THEN close (after like 15 seconds cause vacuum pump and cold start) if your most recent setting was closed. If your most recent setting was open, they will stay open.

Once the air starts pumping the delay between you pressing the open or close button is like half a second.

If you set it as automatic (you can set the rpm), you dont need to worry about it.
Old 10-29-2021 | 04:40 AM

C43 AMG 2018 (facelift)
Originally Posted by waisoserious
Im using FI for my GLC. I want to point out that manually turning opening and closing the exhaust valve baffles can become tedious. It starts to feel like you are "trying to hard". Eventually it will reach the point where sometimes you dont bother opening or closing it because you wont want to reach for the remote or cant find the remote.

Also, many users do NOT want the valves open or closed all the time. The FI and Armytrix come with the OBD2 box so it can controls the valves automatically at the RPM you set.

Personally, I would get an exhaust with this feature. The factory AMG PE really is the best exhaust for the C43. Its ability to work seemlessly with the infotainment is a feature that, to my knowledge, no other exhaust has been able to replicate.

The FI exhaust sounds great. My only grip is that it is vacuum line actuated. If it was motorized it would be even better.
You are right. Of course, the best option is when there is a controller, like in the AMG PE, which regulates the % of the valves corresponding to RPM.

However, in reality, after I used PE with remotes for more than a month, valves are open 95% of the time and I enjoy it that way.
I use the remote only when I drive with my daughter and wife - they don't like loud sound at all, unfortunately
Since they have one more car, it happens rarely.

People with OEM PE buy ASR modules to make valves open 100% all the time. It makes more sound on idle and on low RPMs.

Regarding the vacuum valves. I have heard that they are better than electronic since they cannot be "stuck" because of ice, for example.
What issues do you have with them? Interesting to know!

Last edited by Yuriy_Moscow; 11-05-2021 at 06:21 AM.
Old 11-30-2021 | 09:52 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

S5,C450
just going to add soundclips of our exhaust, thick like oatmeal! :-P

Old 04-06-2022 | 10:12 AM

C43 AMG 2018 (facelift)
The big thread became even more bigger!
One of my friend finally installed full exhaust track from C63 into his C43. You can see the pictures + video for sound.
Updated April 2022: Option 4: Installing exhaust from C63 (retrofit #2).
The following users liked this post:
Dozi (11-11-2022)
Old 05-20-2023 | 05:32 AM

Mercedes C43
Update April 2022.
Finally it happened! One of the members of our C43 AMG chat decided to buy and completely change the stock exhaust to the one from C63. They are different in structure. Therefore, the "bolt-in" solution does not work. This meant that some improvements in terms of cutting some elements with welding has to be done. But in general, this is indeed a very interesting option. In the exhaust of C63 there is NO resonator! Mufflers are much lighter than from U21, and even more lighter than the U78 ones. The sound from engine is going straight through pipes into mufflers. If valves are open, it becomes a disaster for surroundings. The owner also installed pipes without cats, so it turned out exactly what I was expecting. Very cool, but very loud! The owner generally likes the sound very much. But he says it's too loud. We will help him activate the standard valves, as I did on my U78. By the way, there are as many as 3 valves on this exhaust track: 2 on the mufflers and 1 at the beginning of the track. It's interesting what will come of it. But for now, the sound is amazing and bursting!

Cold start video:

Video "on the go":
]

Are these videos with both the c63 PE and catless downpipes? And how was the drone with that setup?

I have the sport exhaust with stage 2 tune, catless downpipes, and a muffler delete. But I’m looking to do a custom exhaust setup at a shop and copying the double h-pipe setup while also installing some valved mufflers.
Old 05-20-2023 | 05:36 AM

Mercedes C43
Originally Posted by Yuriy_Moscow
The big thread became even more bigger!
One of my friend finally installed full exhaust track from C63 into his C43. You can see the pictures + video for sound.
Updated April 2022: Option 4: Installing exhaust from C63 (retrofit #2).
Any drone on his setup?
Old 05-20-2023 | 10:21 AM

C450,GLC 63,VW GTI
Originally Posted by Dozi
Update April 2022.

Cold start video:
https://vimeo.com/658904204

Video "on the go":
https://vimeo.com/658915041
]

Are these videos with both the c63 PE and catless downpipes? And how was the drone with that setup?

I have the sport exhaust with stage 2 tune, catless downpipes, and a muffler delete. But I’m looking to do a custom exhaust setup at a shop and copying the double h-pipe setup while also installing some valved mufflers.

the c63 is not a double H. The other cross over section (the other H) towards the back of the muffler is actually a structural cross bar. You can even see the welds don't go completely around. If your gonna do what you want I would recommend the logos engineering motorworks exhaust, which is a true double H,has 2.75 inch piping and valves to make it quiet. Plus it sounds amazing with downpipes! The only other double H exhaust that's factory is the glc 63 OEM exhaust

Dozi (05-21-2023)
Old 05-21-2023 | 02:59 AM

Mercedes C43
the c63 is not a double H. The other cross over section (the other H) towards the back of the muffler is actually a structural cross bar. You can even see the welds don't go completely around. If your gonna do what you want I would recommend the logos engineering motorworks exhaust, which is a true double H,has 2.75 inch piping and valves to make it quiet. Plus it sounds amazing with downpipes! The only other double H exhaust that's factory is the glc 63 OEM exhaust
Oh really, interesting. I thought it was just a double h-pipe setup. I would do the logos engineering exhaust but I’m not paying that much, I already spent way too much on this car lol and I plan to upgrade in a few. But I am definitely doing the custom exhaust at a shop I know of, I didn’t pay all this money for my car to still sound like crap! They quoted me $750 for the double h-pipe setup. Only thing I’ve been debating is whether I should do 1 h-pipe, 2 h-pipes, or an x-pipe. H-pipes seem to sound better on c43s though.

What is your setup?
Old 05-21-2023 | 11:42 AM

C450,GLC 63,VW GTI
Oh really, interesting. I thought it was just a double h-pipe setup. I would do the logos engineering exhaust but I’m not paying that much, I already spent way too much on this car lol and I plan to upgrade in a few. But I am definitely doing the custom exhaust at a shop I know of, I didn’t pay all this money for my car to still sound like crap! They quoted me $750 for the double h-pipe setup. Only thing I’ve been debating is whether I should do 1 h-pipe, 2 h-pipes, or an x-pipe. H-pipes seem to sound better on c43s though.

What is your setup?

do a double H as the X gives a higher pitch. H-makes the smaller 3.0 engine sound angry and full.

for 750 make sure they use stainess steel and not aluminized thinner stainless which I believe can rust.

Dozi (05-21-2023)
Old 05-21-2023 | 01:27 PM

Mercedes C43
do a double H as the X gives a higher pitch. H-makes the smaller 3.0 engine sound angry and full.

for 750 make sure they use stainess steel and not aluminized thinner stainless which I believe can rust.
thanks for the input, what steel does our oem exhausts come with?
Old 05-21-2023 | 01:32 PM

C450,GLC 63,VW GTI
thanks for the input, what steel does our oem exhausts come with?
stainless 304 or 306 somthing like that.
Dozi (05-21-2023)
Old 07-26-2023 | 12:30 AM

Mercedes C43
C63s exhaust on C43

Hello all, I have found a nicely priced c63s exhaust. Since I don’t have PE I know it would sound great, like the videos of this done and were already shared.

My question is what needs to be done to get the c63s exhaust to fit on my c43? And how do I get the valves to work? Or should I just save myself the hassle and continue with my plan of doing a custom h-pipe with aftermarket valved mufflers system?
Old 07-26-2023 | 08:34 AM

C450,GLC 63,VW GTI
Hello all, I have found a nicely priced c63s exhaust. Since I don’t have PE I know it would sound great, like the videos of this done and were already shared.

My question is what needs to be done to get the c63s exhaust to fit on my c43? And how do I get the valves to work? Or should I just save myself the hassle and continue with my plan of doing a custom h-pipe with aftermarket valved mufflers system?

retro fitting the c63 and making the valves work is a expensive and laborous ordeal. Your best bet is to get the logos exhaust which is a PE on steroids-which has the valves already and is plug and play.

I have the OEM PE and I've heard the LEM exhaust in person and it hits hard!
Dozi (07-26-2023)
Old 07-26-2023 | 11:01 AM

Mercedes C43
retro fitting the c63 and making the valves work is a expensive and laborous ordeal. Your best bet is to get the logos exhaust which is a PE on steroids-which has the valves already and is plug and play.

I have the OEM PE and I've heard the LEM exhaust in person and it hits hard!
I would’ve already went the LEM route but I’m not looking to pay that much. The custom exhaust I was going to do was $1600, and for aluminum steel not even stainless. How expensive are we looking at for the c63s retrofit? I found it for $550. And it being oem, better quality than aluminum steel, and having the double h-pipe design it seems like a good deal to me.
Old 07-26-2023 | 11:04 AM

C450,GLC 63,VW GTI
I would’ve already went the LEM route but I’m not looking to pay that much. The custom exhaust I was going to do was $1600, and for aluminum steel not even stainless. How expensive are we looking at for the c63s retrofit? I found it for $550. And it being oem, better quality than aluminum steel, and having the double h-pipe design it seems like a good deal to me.

PM'Ed you as my cousin purchased one and is looking to get rid of it as he switched over to glc 43. Looks like its within your range. (It's unused/new).
Dozi (07-26-2023)